What's new

Stirling Syndicate

While I agree the balm does leave a thin, visible layer after application, it gets absorbed quickly for me so it's not a big deal.

My Stirling balms are not thick at all, however. Good consistency that's easy to work around the face.

My gripe with it is that there's something that occasionally results in very minor irritation -- even with the unscented version.

My experience with Stirling’s Executive Man balm has been fine. It’s just a little thicker than Nivea Sensitive, but absorbs quite easily into my skin, and leaves no residue. I’ve been using mine off and on for almost a year now. As others have suggested, maybe you got a bad batch.

This stuff is like clay. It's super hard to work in especially if you have wet skin. It's a damn chore, basically. My arms basically get tired trying to work this stuff in. If you don't it just sits on the skin, and you end up looking like you're ashy.

It's also not a very good moisturizer, despite having aloe vera and shea butter. Also, once it dries it flakes on the skin. Your face looks like it needs peeling. Low quality ingredients, perhaps? I got the Hipster scent since it was on sale at WCS.
I don't think it's meant to work with wet skin. Dry off and then put it on. Rub it for 5-10 seconds and it should dry into a nice and moisturizing feel. I love my Stirling balms but never used them wet. They are pretty thick so a little goes long way as well.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I bought some very early on before i realized i like alcohol based aftershave. I think i used it maybe once and remember it being like a thick hand lotion.

I got a container from them in sandalwood that was very thick at first compared to the other three I already had. Contacted Rod and he immediately gave me a store credit for the cost and said just keep the one I had. He recommended vigorously shaking it several times as sometimes the contents will settle. Did that and it has worked fine since. I've never had any of the problems that have been mentioned however.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I haven't tried it. However, you might want to let Stirling know your impressions. They would certainly want to know if a product wasn't working up to par, and to know if it was a one off or something more concerning.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Definitely do this.

I wonder if you got a bad batch; my Stirling Lime is thick initially, but it absorbs completely without residue and doesn't take a significant amount of effort to work in/is similar to other balms like Spieck. No flaking, either.

I haven't tried it with overtly wet skin, just damp (such as rinsing my face after a shave).

I would contact them and have them send you a replacement. Stirling's customer service has always been excellent in my experience.

I agree. The fact that it is so thick is WHY I like it. Can't stand those watery, messy A/S's like "Skin Food".

I haven't experienced flaking either.

Reactions: EDC
I’m planning on purchasing a puck of Stirling soap to add to my small collection. I’ve read here that they’re very good soaps. Which fragrances are the best? What’s the lathering technique needed for them? Is the Executive Man scent or Margaritas in the Arctic good choices? What’s your favorite? Help me on this one, I need advice!

Too many scents to have just one favorite. They’re all good scents and are easy to lather. MITA is a great summer soap as it’s heavily mentholated. I do love the lemon glacial, another mentholated soap. I’m going through a tub of Hot Apple Cider right now and it smells just like apple cider. Rod has good descriptions of the scents on the Stirling website. Stirling soaps are a little on the thirsty side and make a very slick lather. I find a boar brush works great on them.

What is your preference in scents?

I have Executive Man and Sandalwood and prefer the Executive Man. Even the Mrs likes Executive Man. Check Stirling‘s site as they have some videos on how to lather their soap. Their soaps create great lather very easily.

My favorites are Christmas Eve and Mountain Man. However, it all depends on what you like. They have a lot of scents.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I like Sharp Dressed Man, Bakers St, Christmas Eve, Barbershop (only scent I love that the wife cannot stand), and surprisingly Hipster. I seem to be the only person who thinks Margaritas in the Arctic smells like an awkward otter pop/straight sugar water with fake lime and don't care for it (but I am sure there's at least one person who dislikes my favorite scents, so maybe I should just keep my mouth shut.)

Too many scents to have just one favorite. They’re all good scents and are easy to lather. MITA is a great summer soap as it’s heavily mentholated. I do love the lemon glacial, another mentholated soap. I’m going through a tub of Hot Apple Cider right now and it smells just like apple cider. Rod has good descriptions of the scents on the Stirling website. Stirling soaps are a little on the thirsty side and make a very slick lather. I find a boar brush works great on them.

What is your preference in scents?
I like manly scents..... maybe like Barbershop or Executive Man perhaps? I’m not too picky actually!!! I had some TOBS Mr. Taylor’s cream awhile back and loved it. A scent similar to that would be nice.

I'm not using this on soaking wet skin. I apply a quarter-sized amount to the whole face and neck while damp, especially on day's worth of stubble since good quality moisturizers are ridiculously expensive. Once it dries on the skin and at the end of the day, I've noticed it does tend to leave dry flakes on areas like the chin and around the nose area.

I also purchased this from West Coast Shaving back in July. Since I've used the stuff and it's past 30 days, I doubt they would give me a product replacement, 5 months later.

Top Bottom