What's new

Stirling or Soap Commander Sandalwood?

I'm looking for a sweet and spicy sandalwood shave soap like the old Saint Charles shave. I am looking at either Soap Commander or Stirrling. Any thoughts?

I'm a big fan of sandalwood and think it should be the strongest note. I found Stirling's to be like a handful of crushed flower petals, nice scent (they could probably market it as unisex) but not a hint of noble wood. Typical great lather though.

I'm a big fan of sandalwood and think it should be the strongest note. I found Stirling's to be like a handful of crushed flower petals, nice scent (they could probably market it as unisex) but not a hint of noble wood. Typical great lather though.

Which sandalwood soaps do you recommend? I have Stirling Sandalwood and thought that Sandalwood was the only scent in it, albeit not very strong. I know Stirling also makes a Vanilla Sandalwood, but I think that would be too sweet for me.

I'm looking for a sweet and spicy sandalwood shave soap like the old Saint Charles shave. I am looking at either Soap Commander or Stirling. Any thoughts?
In general, most sandalwood shaving soaps don't smell like real sandalwood because it's too expensive to make. Most are interpretations of sandalwood. I used to use a real sandalwood shaving soap that it's no longer made. I never really felt that sandalwood smelled like wood but was more exotic, sweet and masculine. I just tried Stirling Sandalwood, which is Hawaiian Sandalwood and I love it! I was using another Hawaiian Sandalwood but the vendor went out of business so I searched for another and found Striling. I have never tried Soap Commander.

I also use, Taylor's, DR Harris, Art Of Shaving and Cyril Salter Sandalwood so as you can see I am quite a sandalwood fan. If you decide to try Soap Commander, let us know if you like it.

Which sandalwood soaps do you recommend? I have Stirling Sandalwood and thought that Sandalwood was the only scent in it, albeit not very strong. I know Stirling also makes a Vanilla Sandalwood, but I think that would be too sweet for me.
Stirling's Vanilla Sandalwood is a bit sweet but I wouldn't call it cloying. Worth grabbing as a sample (or alternatively get the bath soap) to try it out at least. I don't normally go for "gourmand" scents, but I think this one is quite nice.

I have tried Proraso sandalwood and it was too woody for me. I have also used TOBS Sandalwood and didn't care for it. I would really just like a nice spicy and maybe slightly sweet Sandalwood. I'm not really wanting to try any other brands other than Stirling and Soap Commander. I was just wanting to know which one people like better.

Sorry for the thread
Hijack Grand Theft Auto GIF

So far, I'm sticking with D.R.Harris for the hardness and strong scent blend. I think with soaps I might have unreasonable expectations. I have a bottle of the essential oil and would love a lather and leftovers to be close to that aroma.

I have tried Proraso sandalwood and it was too woody for me. I have also used TOBS Sandalwood and didn't care for it. I would really just like a nice spicy and maybe slightly sweet Sandalwood. I'm not really wanting to try any other brands other than Stirling and Soap Commander. I was just wanting to know which one people like better.
I don't think you will be dissapointed with Stirling because it is definitely slightly sweet. I wish I could compare it to Soap Commander but I cannot. I don't know about it smelling spicy, like you want. In fact. I can't think of any sandalwood as being spicy, with the exception of Crabtree and Evelyn, which is no longer produced.

Stirling's Vanilla Sandalwood is a bit sweet but I wouldn't call it cloying. Worth grabbing as a sample (or alternatively get the bath soap) to try it out at least. I don't normally go for "gourmand" scents, but I think this one is quite nice.
I have the vanilla sandalwood from Stirling and I don’t find it to be on the sweet side

The Sc is not woody or spicy. It’s more of a soapy scent.

That said, soap commander is awesome soap. Great lather. Great performance. Awesome quality.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Another vote for stirling. I like both sandalwood and vanilla.
I like the more wood scents over the flowery perfume range. My favorite is WSP but if Proraso was too wood flavored then that’s not for you. I’m intrigued by SC. (Their product cute names throw me off what is their sandalwood?) as others have said I’d like to see some more feedback.

...I’m intrigued by SC. (Their product cute names throw me off what is their sandalwood?) as others have said I’d like to see some more feedback.

It's called Commitment.

Soap Commander has a commendably short ingredient list.

Ingredients: Stearic Acid, Distilled Water, Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Sodium Hydroxide, Castor Oil, and Fragrance.

SC containers are also a bit oversized for easier loading.

Have you tried PAA Sandalwood supreme? it is much sweeter then Proraso Red (have to admit that Red is by far my favorite). Love Sandalwood scents but haven't used or smelled Stirling or Soap Commander

What is the scent like of the soap commnder sandalwood?
It's an old-timey "soapy" scent. soapy notes. Sort of like SV Manna Di Sicilia, but definitely not as strong. Could also be considered similar to the TOBS Sandalwood scent. Reminds me of hotel soap from 30 years ago.

Not sure how else to describe it. It's not woody at all.

I have and or used WSP, Stirling, and Proraso sandalwoods. As far as scents, the WSP is definitely the most woody smelling while Proraso is the sweetest....Stirling sits right in the middle according to my nose. All great performers.

Top Bottom