What's new

Stimulated Crowd Noise

As long as it isnt the vuvezula sound, i’m good. Watched a recent replay of one of those games and so glad that didnt become a thing.

Yes, one shudders to think of the debasement of the Vuvezula as the instrument of sporting events! It is a noble horn more suited to the concert hall... ;-)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Maybe for the hockey games, they'll go back to hanging mics over the ice so we can hear the players haha.

My dad told me about watching a game, decades ago, when the NHL and/or Hockey Night in Canada tried that, or something similar. The game in question was being ref'd by Andy Van Hellemond. Well, Andy gave out a penalty that someone didn't like. Booming over the nation-wide prime time broadcast, loud and clear, came ...

"F**k you, Andy!!"

And then a commercial break.

Oddly, those particular microphones were not "on" for the rest of the game. Or ever again.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have only watched one match, the Liverpool derby, since the PL resumed. The simulated crowd didn't bother me, the nil-nil definitely disappointed.

When the commentary annoys me, I will mute games, so silent broadcast soccer is not a problem. While the NBC PL commentary is often meaningless chatter, it is not as aggressively uninformed as the majority of commentary by US natives.
Amen to the "meaningless chatter"! I know I'm old now, but I REALLY miss Ernie Harwell doing radio play by play for the Detroit Tigers. He knew how to leave people alone, let us feel like we were at the old Briggs stadium, in the cheap bleacher seats, able to look out towards home plate, unable to even see the batter without binoculars.....

I miss Al Kaline!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My dad told me about watching a game, decades ago, when the NHL and/or Hockey Night in Canada tried that, or something similar. The game in question was being ref'd by Andy Van Hellemond. Well, Andy gave out a penalty that someone didn't like. Booming over the nation-wide prime time broadcast, loud and clear, came ...

"F**k you, Andy!!"

Oddly, those particular microphones were not "on" for the rest of the game. Or ever again.
My dad told me he was at a home game when Gordie Howe got a good slice over his eye, blood all over. He skated over to the bench and got sewed up, and skated back out on the ice. Lol, I'll bet Gretzky never had to do that!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

"F**k you, Andy!!"

Nope they didnt last long. I can still see them all hanging over the ice and wondering what they were. Andy being told off was only the end of it though. I never knew hockey players were so vocal but they have a lot to say to the opposing team members lol.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
So with these matches, since there are no fans, do the players do all the normal histrionics when they bump harmlessly into another player and fall to the ground?

That doesn't happen in the English Premiere League, and you hardly see it in top leagues at all. That's pretty much seen only in some lesser leagues and international play. However, with regard to the latter, FIFA officials have shown less and less patience with that over recent years. They're even giving yellow cards for someone taking a dive. The NBA is far worse.

Yes, one shudders to think of the debasement of the Vuvezula as the instrument of sporting events! It is a noble horn more suited to the concert hall... ;-)

That was marvelous. It reminds me of the terrible things I did to my grandfather's Army bugle during high school football games.

Friend of mine was at the World Cup, she said you could barely hear them even with almost everyone blowing on them. The mics though really picked up on them, she was shocked how loud they were when she watched a game on tv later.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
clap.gif

Top Bottom