What's new

Still think open carry is a great idea?

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I have an issue that this topic fits into, but may be too close to being political. I hope not. Like I said, I type and erase SOOO much for fear of causing drama. Anyhow....

How do you fight the fact that A. you cannot out legislate stupid B. You cannot legislate common sense C. What ever rules are passed, be it open carry, concealed carry, ..... a stop sign! The only people who follow them are the people who do not need the rules to be safe and coexist peacefully in the first place? It almost makes it seem like spitting into the wind, doesn't it? And in comes my defeatist attitude of "why bother?"
Just look at my Avatar!

LOL, go into town...late night into the early morning. I have seen some strange characters in bars and even in the streets. I used to go to Tulsa bar hopping, looking for a good time. Rarely found it. I still enjoy a trip to Tulsa, but I go into entirely different type of places now.

When I used to go to bike rallies, that was a place to see some things you never imagined. Met some interesting folk at a rally/concert called Bikelahoma. Outside Pryor I believe. Do not believe they have it anymore.
Late night or early morning, I’m at home either in bed or getting round. I don’t frequent the places you refer to, so that’s why I have not seen it. I’m sorry to hear such shenanigans go on in my town.

Late night or early morning, I’m at home either in bed or getting round. I don’t frequent the places you refer to, so that’s why I have not seen it. I’m sorry to hear such shenanigans go on in my town.
Oh it's not just in your town. And I have found life to be much more manageable keeping a similar schedule to yours thses days. Alas... I may have finally grown up. Or at least in some ways.

I also conceal carry for the main reason of hiding the face I'm loaded with weapons. I'm not the threat, I'm not looking for trouble, I'm not trying to save the world, I'm not showing off my cool equipment, I'm not trying to make a statement, I'm not trying to cause people to get nervous, I'm not trying to prove anything. I am using my rights to own and carry guns and defend myself.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I don't open carry for the same reason I don't wear firearm related clothing - NRA caps, Ruger shirts, etc. - I don't want to be target #1 in a bad situation.

I'll defend your right to open carry to the end though.
I won’t put political stickers on my car. When I buy something nice for the house (like a big TV), I dispose of the box at work. No use making yourself a target.

Amen. Its the same reason why Im not a fan of constituional carry. Everyone who carries should at least have some training. You wouldnt give someone a driver's licence without training, why in the world would we allow them to carry a firearm without any training?
I will likely ruffle some feathers, but I’m for universal background checks, too. Some people should not have guns (violent ex-felons, wife beaters, etc). Yes, some will slip through the cracks. Hardcore criminals will always get them, just as hardcore alcoholics will always drink and drive. When they get nabbed, nail them to the wall with maximum penalty. You wouldn’t get rid of drunk driving laws just because some still do it.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I won’t put political stickers on my car. When I buy something nice for the house (like a big TV), I dispose of the box at work. No use making yourself a target.

I will likely ruffle some feathers, but I’m for universal background checks, too. Some people should not have guns (violent ex-felons, wife beaters, etc). Yes, some will slip through the cracks. Hardcore criminals will always get them, just as hardcore alcoholics will always drink and drive. When they get nabbed, nail them to the wall with maximum penalty. You wouldn’t get rid of drunk driving laws just because some still do it.
I'm not just for Universal Background Checks but also a national data registry and expanded access.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have an issue that this topic fits into, but may be too close to being political. I hope not. Like I said, I type and erase SOOO much for fear of causing drama. Anyhow....

How do you fight the fact that A. you cannot out legislate stupid B. You cannot legislate common sense C. What ever rules are passed, be it open carry, concealed carry, ..... a stop sign! The only people who follow them are the people who do not need the rules to be safe and coexist peacefully in the first place? It almost makes it seem like spitting into the wind, doesn't it? And in comes my defeatist attitude of "why bother?"
Do we get rid of laws against drunk driving because some will keep doing it, or do we use the law to punish those guilty as harshly as possible? What about murder?

Do we get rid of laws against drunk driving because some will keep doing it, or do we use the law to punish those guilty as harshly as possible? What about murder?
Oh no, not at all. I guess I was more expressing my wonderment of how others can keep trying? Idk that does not sound right either. Hard to Express in words, my thoughts it seems. I can keep looking, working, tweaking, and trying on a machine that others feel is hopeless. And to their amazement, bring it back to life. We each have our skills or strengths and dealing with people is most definitely not mine.

Life and society frustrate me so and I just feel helpless to "fix" it. Or help fix it.

My son in law open carries for the most moronic reason. Another guy in his shop open carries and my son in law perceived it was for intimidation. My son in law open carries to intimidate the other guy back. Stupid reason.

Typing can be so therapeutic. I do the same thing, and then read what I wrote and delete it because it’s not worth the drama it would create. But I sure feel better.

I don’t think I ever said in this thread, maybe I did and just don’t remember, but I conceal carry for several reasons.

1. I don’t want to be noticed. A handgun on your hip makes sure you will be noticed and remembered. I don’t think it necessarily makes you a target, and it may even deter a bad guy from doing what he is going to do. But it makes it easier for him to identify where the threats are.

2. I carry to protect myself and family in the event I come up against trouble that I can’t back away from. The first rule of self defense is to retreat if you can. If retreating will put you or your family or property into further or continued danger then you stand your ground.

3. I hope I never have to draw down on anyone. But if trouble finds me and I can’t back away, I will draw if necessary.

4. I’m an old man, and I don’t need the attention of some creep that thinks because I’m old he can take my pistol away from me. He would have no idea about retention, because creeps just don’t think that way.

5. I almost didn’t post this last reason because it’s bound to raise some hackles. I often frequent stores where they don’t allow carry of any kind. If I’m open carrying, they will direct me to the nearest exit in short order. If I’m concealed, they either don’t see it, or it gives them plausible deniability, so they say nothing.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
5. I almost didn’t post this last reason because it’s bound to raise some hackles. I often frequent stores where they don’t allow carry of any kind. If I’m open carrying, they will direct me to the nearest exit in short order. If I’m concealed, they either don’t see it, or it gives them plausible deniability, so they say nothing.

Consider them raised.

Raised high.

I'll ruffle even some more feathers and say that anything semi-automatic, high capacity magazines would be banned if it were up to me, there would be a mandatory 7-day wait to buy a gun, extensive background checks and anyone who bought a large amount of ammo would get a visit to their home and be questioned on why they bought so much ammo recently. If the person seems sketchy, they get put on a watch list.
Its intrusive and probably a bit extreme but like you said, some people simply shouldnt be allowed to own guns and we need to weed out those people. IMO, the 2nd ammendement should be a right, its should be a privledge for those who have demonstrated their they deserve it and can handle the responsibility.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
We each have our skills or strengths and dealing with people is most definitely not mine.

Life and society frustrate me so and I just feel helpless to "fix" it. Or help fix it.

Oh good, I'm not the only one!

Open carry is legal here. I don't open carry.

Top Bottom