What's new

Still think open carry is a great idea?

Yes, yes I do think open carry is a great idea. Seriously, people openly drive cars and yet cars get carjacked. The fact that cars get carjacked does not suggest we should not drive cars.

But then I remember to lock the door after I get in a car and to wear a retention type holster when I open carry.
It's much easier to find a car than a gun. It's much harder to kill someone with a car unnoticed than with a gun. I support the right to open carry but firmly recommend against it.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I gotta be honest.

I'm way past the age when I thought I might change anyone's mind. And I'm way past the age were I am any kind of physical threat.

But I'm old. And got old by having to deal with some really not that nice things happening like falling through a roof into a burning building or suddenly finding myself facing towards all the other folk on the track instead of facing the acceptable way or watching a fool turn across on coming traffic and see two big American Iron behemoths sliding right towards me and my little Alfa Romeo.

Because I'm old I really really understand that quite often things go south in a hurry and so it's a good idea to have not one plan but rather a whole series of increasingly sub-optimal options. And that the best option is to try really hard not to get into those unpleasant happenings.

Even when I open carry it is a discrete carry, a small inconspicuous old worn holster that doesn't stand out and wearing clothes that will tend to focus attention at other areas. I never walk with a phone in my hand and consider anything that is in my hand should also be a potential self-defense object whether it is a cup of coffee or these days often a walking stick. As mentioned above if I open carry the handgun will either be an old revolver or a semi-automatic with at least one manual safety in a holster with at least minimal retention.

I have a couple BBQ rigs and when I wear them it is quite different, hardly inconspicuous.

I hear ya, but the point of it being worth it to step up and change perceptions by changing the current culture is still, a valid point.

I would throw out the thought and idea, that at one time, long ago, the culture of Americans holding, keeping and carrying firearms for protection of self and the things we hold most dear, was common knowledge and there was no fear of seeing someone carrying a gun. Now that culture has changed. While some people may act scared to see a pistol, carried openly on the hip. There are many, many more, who just don't want a pro gun culture.

Whatever we don't or are not willing to attempt, to try, or not to try, to progress with our own beliefs and/or actions as a whole. Then what we want as a whole, will ultimately and eventually, regress. First to the undesirable, then to the absolutely loathed and then to the non-existent. Open carry, concealed carry and eventually, the God given right to protection of self.

Culture or Constitution.

I would like to play devil's advocate for both.

I think the majority of people who have a permit to carry or who practice Constitutional Carry in their state, still prefer to keep it concealed as you and I both do. We have had open carry here in Oklahoma for a few years now and I don't think I have seen a single case of open carry in that time.

The open carry I have seen, are LEO's because they have badges in front of their holsters.
I have seen open carry here in Tulsa, but it is by far the minority. I don’t think they were LEOs either. Their bearing was just not that of a LEO.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I hear ya, but the point of it being worth it to step up and change perceptions by changing the current culture is still, a valid point.

Couldn't agree more but let's start with the easy stuff that was once common; holding doors open for encumbered folk, getting stuff down off the high shelves, kneeling down when talking to kids so they are not staring up at a giant, saying good morning or good evening, not parking in handicapped spots or curbside spots when going into a store just because they are close, taking the shopping carts back inside or putting them into the cart racks rather than leaving them all over the parking lot.

Our culture has changed considerably just in my lifetime and the fear of seeing a handgun carried openly is just another example.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
One of the things that I take notice of when I see someone open carry is, do they also have an extra magazine for a reload. If they don't, I can't take them too seriously. Of course, it could in a pocket, but not likely. It also rubs me the wrong way when I see an administrative type LEO with a pistol on his belt and nothing else. Probably fires his weapon once a year when he has to qualify. Nothing but a badge of office. I once had a reason to call the local police to the house to report a theft of some outside lawn equipment IIRC. The chief of police himself (a very small PD) responded, in a patrol car, in uniform, with absolutely nuthin on his belt! Unbelievable! That same officer eventually became Sheriff, he was nothing but a politician.

OkieStubble

Couldn't agree more but let's start with the easy stuff that was once common; holding doors open for encumbered folk, getting stuff down off the high shelves, kneeling down when talking to kids so they are not staring up at a giant, saying good morning or good evening, not parking in handicapped spots or curbside spots when going into a store just because they are close, taking the shopping carts back inside or putting them into the cart racks rather than leaving them all over the parking lot.

Our culture has changed considerably just in my lifetime and the fear of seeing a handgun carried openly is just another example.

Your description of the past sir, reads like a Norman Rockwell painting. :)

OkieStubble

One of the things that I take notice of when I see someone open carry is, do they also have an extra magazine for a reload. If they don't, I can't take them too seriously. Of course, it could in a pocket, but not likely. It also rubs me the wrong way when I see an administrative type LEO with a pistol on his belt and nothing else. Probably fires his weapon once a year when he has to qualify. Nothing but a badge of office. I once had a reason to call the local police to the house to report a theft of some outside lawn equipment IIRC. The chief of police himself (a very small PD) responded, in a patrol car, in uniform, with absolutely nuthin on his belt! Unbelievable! That same officer eventually became Sheriff, he was nothing but a politician.

Lol’d. We’re discussing about trying to change a culture by getting more people to open carry their firearms and you are already looking for their extra ammo... :)

You are a hard task master.

I tip my hat to those of you who can "try to change culture" or what ever. I feel bad for having the attitude of "humans are a lost cause. I shall avoid them am wait for sweet release of death".

Funny side note, I have typed and erased so much in this thread with out hitting submit, that you could make a whole other thread of it.

OkieStubble

I tip my hat to those of you who can "try to change culture" or what ever. I feel bad for having the attitude of "humans are a lost cause. I shall avoid them am wait for sweet release of death".

Funny side note, I have typed and erased so much in this thread with out hitting submit, that you could make a whole other thread of it.

Respectful honesty in discussion, is refreshing. Regardless if it’s for or against the subject matter. Never be hesitant in what you want to express.

Short of politics of course. :)

Respectful honesty in discussion, is refreshing. Regardless if it’s for or against the subject matter. Never be hesitant in what you want to express.

Short of politics of course. :)
I sometimes have trouble determining if I am expressing respectful honest opinions or just incessantly complaining.?.?.? I have a generally depressed "debby downer" nature and its contagious. I want to be one of those people who brightens someone's day, not pee's in their cheerios :( lol

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It's not even wise to open carry a sheath knife while hiking, IMO.

As Rob noted, be the grayman, eh. No camo. No weapons. Just some random dude.

AA

I grew up with a knife in my pocket. Pretty sure boys came out of the womb with one. There was a knife in every glove box and a .22 rifle behind every seat, on our farm. It was my "normal" and they all caused me multiple issues with people/officers before I broke myself of that "normal." I remember opening my glove box to get my registration (pulled over for speeding). I moved the hunting knife to get to my little yellow envelope....OH LAWD that situation took a turn for the dramatic.

I should add I understand why.... it just is not the default way of thinking in my farm boy mentality.

OkieStubble

AA

I have an olive drab and a black 5.11 backpack hanging in the storage closet collecting dust. The new paper tags are still hanging on them.

my Nike bag is wore the hell out though. :)

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.

AA
Again, I started carrying a Case sheath knife when I went from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts; likely ten years old IIRC. Wore it proudly every day to school and used it to sharpen pencils or play mumbley-peg during recess. The best at mumbley-peg though was a girl and she was also the best at throwing her knife into the tree. She was among the fastest of all of us and one of the strongest and also looked out for the little kids and made sure no one picked on them. Her brother got polio and was in an iron lung and I wrote a short story about them called David.

Again, I started carrying a Case sheath knife when I went from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts; likely ten years old IIRC. Wore it proudly every day to school and used it to sharpen pencils or play mumbley-peg during recess. The best at mumbley-peg though was a girl and she was also the best at throwing her knife into the tree. She was among the fastest of all of us and one of the strongest and also looked out for the little kids and made sure no one picked on them. Her brother got polio and was in an iron lung and I wrote a short story about them called David.
Thanks for sharing. Touching tribute.

My "good ole days" are not that far back, but I have noticed that I am prone to remember the good of the good ole days and not the bad/hard.

OkieStubble

I sometimes have trouble determining if I am expressing respectful honest opinions or just incessantly complaining.?.?.? I have a generally depressed "debby downer" nature and its contagious. I want to be one of those people who brightens someone's day, not pee's in their cheerios :( lol

I myself, am always pessimistic before I am optimistic. This survival technique has seen me thru many troublesome situations over the years. :)

I grew up in town so no rifle behind the seat. Dad did give me a pocket knife when I was in the third grade and I have been with one constantly except for the period when I was in basic training in the USAF, where the training NCO kept it in his desk. I was tasked with cleaning, making bed in his office/room and knew where it was so when we finished basic I got it back and carried for a two month wait then through OCS, and one ever since. Since air travel now prohibits them I will not get on a commercial airliner. Back in grade school we kept the old carbon steel blades shiny and dull playing mumbley peg. Somewhere in the lower grades of high school dad got me a big trapper model, blades really too long for practical use as a pocket knife and probally illegal or close to the limit. I still have that knife probably 60 years later. I keep one of the smaller Buck sheath knives in my truck, bought it back in 1971 the year before the wife and I went to Turkey for a couple of years, helped skin and clean a couple of big pigs over there and quite a few birds, mostly doves and not a lot of use other than picnics since then.

I have a feeling that someone killed will be noticed regardless of how they are killed.
And you think the guy who rammed the car into someone will get away more often than the guy who kills someone in an apartment with a gun? I think you missed my point.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Lol’d. We’re discussing about trying to change a culture by getting more people to open carry their firearms and you are already looking for their extra ammo... :)

You are a hard task master.
Well it certainly is a clue to their level of training and mindset.

Top Bottom