What's new

Still think open carry is a great idea?

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I have a sexy new holster coming for my SP101. I would love to open carry it instead of hide it. But a firearm is not meant to be carried as a fashion piece so I will conceal it as I always do.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
But a firearm is not meant to be carried as a fashion piece so I will conceal it as I always do.
Unless you’re at a bar-b-cue. I would argue that everyone needs at least one “BBQ gun.”

The reason I don’t open carry is because there is a good portion of the population that get down right terrified when they see a gun in public. When people get scared they do stupid stuff like call 911 or scream “he/she has a gun” in a public place and cause a stampede. I had a conversation with a lady once who told she me would scream if she ever saw a gun. I pointed out maybe it’s a LEO in plain clothes and she stated she didn’t care. There are lots of people out there like that. Even if your in your right you’re still going to have to deal with the police and explain why you’re carrying etc. just too much hassle for me. Or the flip side is it’s possible you’ll be confronted by another person legally carrying a firearm who identifies you as a “bad guy” because you’re the cause of all the commotion. I’d rather just throw a shirt over my pistol.

Last edited:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Unless you’re at a bar-b-cue. I would argue that everyone needs at least one “BBQ gun.”

The reason I don’t open carry is because there is a good portion of the population that get down right terrified when they see a gun in public. When people get scared they do stupid stuff like call 911 or scream “he/she has a gun” in a public place and cause a stampede. I had a conversation with a lady once who told she me would scream if she ever saw a gun. I pointed out maybe it’s a LEO in plain clothes and she stated she didn’t care. There are lots of people out there like that. Even if your in your right you’re still going to have to deal with the police and explain why you’re carrying etc. just too much hassle for me. Or the flip side is it’s possible you’ll be confronted by another person legally carrying a firearm who identifies you as a “bad guy” because you’re the cause of all the commotion. I’d rather just throw a shirt over my pistol.
Again though that depends on where you are.

These days there are places where I would not openly carry but from experience I've never had or experience any hassle and frankly I haven't been in any such place in decades. The only folk that have ever commented about my firearm while openly carrying have been a few other shooters who then shared stories and likes. No one has called 911, no one has screamed, no one has run away (well, no one has run away because of my handgun, lots of folk run away jess in general I hope).

...The reason I don’t open carry is because there is a good portion of the population that get down right terrified when they see a gun in public. When people get scared they do stupid stuff like call 911 or scream “he/she has a gun” in a public place and cause a stampede. I had a conversation with a lady once who told she me would scream if she ever saw a gun. I pointed out maybe it’s a LEO in plain clothes and she stated she didn’t care. There are lots of people out there like that...
Is that really so strange? If I walked into a public place with a spiked baseball bat, I imagine I would get some worried stares. "What is he planning to do with that?" "He must be carrying it for a reason!", "That makes me uncomfortable!", etc.

My issue with open carry (which is minor as I do not have strong feelings 1 way or the other) is the people who do so are the "Ya, I gotta gun. I am kewl" type of people. I have no problem with responsible mature well mannered individuals open carrying. Problem is, it is hard to tell the difference sometimes. In a small town nearby, the gas station had been robbed so many times, the attendants were open carrying while working. As a scare tactic I think.

I pretty much keep to to myself. My opinion included most times. Fire arms issues are quite important to some. Not so much to me. We all have our passions and strong feelings. Mine are in other areas of life. I do like to observe others discussion on the matter occasionally however LOL

If I open carry, or carry at all, it is while fishing or camping, farming or hunting, checking cows.... If I go to town, the guns stay at home. I am easily angered. I am somewhat indecisive. I regret every decision I make regardless of whether thought went into it or not. I do not have the temperament to have a gun amongst people. I just do not want the responsibility of adding a gun to the equation.

I am not scared, nor will I hesitate, to defend my loved ones. I just will have to rely on my rock and sling so to speak :)

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I think the idea or intentions of the 43 states who have approved open carry is, they are hoping more who conceal carry, would start open carrying in order to change the culture and attitudes of those people who go crazy every time they see a gun.

If more people did carry open carry, it would normalize the culture and “the act of open carry.” Then those certain few, which is probably really just a few, would be like, “oh, everyone does that, it’s normal to see.” Instead of like, “oh my God he’s got a gun on!”

That’s at least what I think the 43 states intended when they passed it. :)

But, it’s been 9 years now for my state and I don’t see anyone doing it, so the idea of open carry has failed at least by what I see.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Yes, if folk don't use something it will simply not become common. I believe that mandated open carry would have a far greater beneficial effect than expected.

OkieStubble

Yes, if folk don't use something it will simply not become common. I believe that mandated open carry would have a far greater beneficial effect than expected.

I agree. This is why it seems more "normalized" in Arizona. But if we take the majority of the views from members in just this thread as a small synopsis, of attempting to open carry in order to change the culture and attitudes on guns in our locals also?

It's a dead stick...

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I think the problem with trying to normalize open carry is that only 30-40% (depending on your source) of Americans own firearms and a smaller percentage own handguns. I’m sure an even smaller amount carry their handguns concealed or otherwise. You would be trying to convince a majority of people to get used to something that a small minority would do.

OkieStubble

I am the guy everyone overlooks and have been so since I got my CCW in the 80s.

Statistically speaking, you have been carrying concealed for 20+ years. Statistically speaking, you have been carrying for the possibility of a time, when you might have to defend the lives of yourself and those you love. And it hasn't happened yet?

Hypothetically speaking, if you would have been carrying open carry for the same 20+ years in a retention holster and practicing your armed due diligence of paying attention to your surroundings, if someone was to lunge at your gun to attempt to take it, statistically speaking, your physical response to that, would be no different then it would be if something else happened in your presence and your response would be no different, if you were concealed.

If I am in the grocery store and I am being absolutely aware of my surroundings in open carry mode, no matter if a bad guy made a jump for me or my loved ones, I will be already hyper aware and will be reacting in a moments notice. If I am concealed, The same awareness and preparedness is still there.

The only thing missing would be, is the element of surprise? But now think if this was Arizona? And there are open carry people everywhere? Does the bad guy still go for your gun? Especially if he see's 10 other open carry people with guns around you and him?

He might consider differently? Even if he doesn't consider differently, if he jumps you for your gun, there will be 10 other guns trained on him. Most of us in here are well trained and experienced gun enthusiast's who are very experienced in not just carrying, but also in the tactics and mindset it takes for our own self defense.

I carry concealed for the exact same reason as most do. Because I don't want to be an obvious target? Correct? However, we are using that mindset from our current realities that, we don't see anyone else open carrying. However, if the realities of our current culture was different and everyone carried openly?

If everyone carried openly, would I then still be, an obvious target? Understandably, someone else's response and rebuttal to this, could be and would say, "but open carry culture isn't the reality?" While this is true, the fact remains, it will never be, until people who carry concealed, start carrying openly.

And if the most experienced of us who carry and have expert knowledge in guns and tactics say, "not me" then the millions who are not as fluent with carry and tactics in this subject we now discuss, or will surely say, "if the gun enthusiast's have no interest in changing the perceptions and culture for an better protected armed public and America, then I sure don't either.

There is a high percentage of Americans who carry concealed and other now. But it is us, who are the 3% of those, who actually have close to expert knowledge in the ways of carry and self defense, just from the fact we are enthusiasts and been carrying many years most of us.

So if it's not us who will openly change the culture, who will? If we are the top of the food chain when it comes to all of the millions who carry for self defense and our attitude about open carry is, "I'm not against those who do, but I think they are stupid for doing it?"

I'm just saying. I conceal carry, I don't open carry either. But I give @jar_ props for having the courage to attempt to change the minds, attitudes of those around him, for a better hope and future for the culture and beliefs that WE ALL share and support and hope and wished the culture, minds and attitudes of others, would be more accepting of guns and those who carry guns.

Even while accepting the fact that a rare possibility and I mean, statistically rare, of a gun grabbing nut, looking to take his firearm. Who, knowing @jar_ he probably already knows he is there and is just waiting.... ;)

I have the suspicion I should be more worried for the safety of the gun grabbing nut, then for the safety of @jar_. :)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I think the problem with trying to normalize open carry is that only 30-40% (depending on your source) of Americans own firearms and a smaller percentage own handguns. I’m sure an even smaller amount carry their handguns concealed or otherwise. You would be trying to convince a majority of people to get used to something that a small minority would do.

I agree with you 150% @Whisky, but respectfully, when I read the bolded, I couldn't help but think to myself, "I'm glad the colonials didn't think this or throw out those stats about the British? :)

OkieStubble

The bottom portion of your bolded post makes me think of the 12 Disciples... ;)

Just one of the reasons I believe open carry of a firearm is a recklessly bad idea
Amen. Its the same reason why Im not a fan of constituional carry. Everyone who carries should at least have some training. You wouldnt give someone a driver's licence without training, why in the world would we allow them to carry a firearm without any training?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I gotta be honest.

I'm way past the age when I thought I might change anyone's mind. And I'm way past the age were I am any kind of physical threat.

But I'm old. And got old by having to deal with some really not that nice things happening like falling through a roof into a burning building or suddenly finding myself facing towards all the other folk on the track instead of facing the acceptable way or watching a fool turn across on coming traffic and see two big American Iron behemoths sliding right towards me and my little Alfa Romeo.

Because I'm old I really really understand that quite often things go south in a hurry and so it's a good idea to have not one plan but rather a whole series of increasingly sub-optimal options. And that the best option is to try really hard not to get into those unpleasant happenings.

Even when I open carry it is a discrete carry, a small inconspicuous old worn holster that doesn't stand out and wearing clothes that will tend to focus attention at other areas. I never walk with a phone in my hand and consider anything that is in my hand should also be a potential self-defense object whether it is a cup of coffee or these days often a walking stick. As mentioned above if I open carry the handgun will either be an old revolver or a semi-automatic with at least one manual safety in a holster with at least minimal retention.

I have a couple BBQ rigs and when I wear them it is quite different, hardly inconspicuous.

Top Bottom