What's new

Still think open carry is a great idea?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
"Goddess on the mountain top...

Siobhan was the hot one... 🤔 I think. The lead was kinda horsefaced... 🙄 Not that Halford would be looking.

AA
You're obviously not referring to the "Shocking Blue" version, as there is only one female vocalist, to what group/version does this refer?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Siobhan was the one on the left on the video, or right as you are watching it. She was by far the hottest of the three. I can't believe I know that. I am very ashamed.

Two outta three ain't bad odds.

🐴 And this one can snap it, so.

AA

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I would like to make an updated post to this thread. Was in an academy sports last night, buying an small portable exercise bench with an adjustable back with incline/decline to go with some of the few dumbells and kettlebells for the wife and I. Of course I went buy the sporting goods section while I was there to take a gander at what they did or didn't have.

While I was there, another guy came looking at the pistols in the glass display case and while he was turned away, I noticed he was open carrying some model of S&W M&P pistol. I could only see the grip and the top back portion of the slide, as he had the rest tucked into some type of black, open topped leather IWB holster in the 4:30 position.

He didn't appear like he "wasn't paying attention" but he also didn't appear like, "he was constantly being aware" of his surrounding either. He also didn't seem like he was naive or new to carrying either, but he did seem to give off the "seasoned CCW" look, if I had to find a label for my perceived perception?

In saying all this, I just wanted to post in the 9-10 years we have had open carry here, this is the very first time I have actually seen someone do it. And it's been another 7 months since this thread. I like to be honest and transparent in my posts and opinions and this is the reason for the update.

While I personally always carry concealed, I did play devils advocate for both sides of this issue. I have to admit. After seeing him standing at the counter, looking and talking to the young man working on the other side. I had to ask myself, "could I walk up behind him and if I attempted to snatch his pistol, do I think I could have successfully taken it?"

And I have to admit, I think I really could have? However, It did get me thinking, If it was under a shirt, and I saw it printed, I could have still taken it also. But... Would I have noticed then, even if it was printed?

I don't think I would have... Why? Because while I haven't seen the general public open carrying in 10 years, I also haven't noticed any concealed carriers either? Surely some of those had to be printing?

So... Safely out of sight, safely out of mind? :)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

🤔 They can sell you the holster, but the rest is up to you.

Wife shouldn't even be able to tell, IMO.

AA

The pistol was over his right back pocket and he didn't have eyes in the back of his head. I just can't see that being a good recipe, no matter how intent one is determined to be situationally aware, sooner or later, your attention is going to be on something other than your surroundings. I mean, he was bent over looking into a display case. I assume he could see someone in the reflection of the glass? I'm no all presence knowing ninja, but he could very well have been? :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The pistol was over his right back pocket and he didn't have eyes in the back of his head. I just can't see that being a good recipe, no matter how intent one is determined to be situationally aware, sooner or later, your attention is going to be on something other than your surroundings. I mean, he was bent over looking into a display case. I assume he could see someone in the reflection of the glass? I'm no all presence knowing ninja, but he could very well have been? :)
My Dad always made fun of my "Hillbilly Sports Coat" look, but I even have an insulated wool tweed sports coat for the winter, and I'm old enough now that I don't draw attention to myself dressing this way. But only for a few months in the summer do I have to worry about concealing without printing. Then I just am "deep concealed carrying." I wear a sports coat with khakis, jeans....I don't care. I want to be the last guy a bad guy thinks is carrying. My goal in life is to make it back home safe, not be a hero. And I have absolutely no problem being the best dressed guy in any situation. I carry at about the 3:30 or 3:00 position, and my coat covers it. In most cases I'm also wearing a vest, so I might be printing if I take off my jacket. But honestly, I don't think most folks notice a gun unless it's blatantly printing. I've experimented with friends and family, and walked into a room open carrying, and my gun is black, my belt is black, my shirt and jeans are dark.... people don't even notice. I am sometimes amazed at what people don't pick up on.

So much of the last few years of my work life I had to be hyper vigilant. I'm convinced that most victims are just sleep walking, lol!

OkieStubble

My Dad always made fun of my "Hillbilly Sports Coat" look, but I even have an insulated wool tweed sports coat for the winter, and I'm old enough now that I don't draw attention to myself dressing this way. But only for a few months in the summer do I have to worry about concealing without printing. Then I just am "deep concealed carrying." I wear a sports coat with khakis, jeans....I don't care. I want to be the last guy a bad guy thinks is carrying. My goal in life is to make it back home safe, not be a hero. And I have absolutely no problem being the best dressed guy in any situation. I carry at about the 3:30 or 3:00 position, and my coat covers it. In most cases I'm also wearing a vest, so I might be printing if I take off my jacket. But honestly, I don't think most folks notice a gun unless it's blatantly printing. I've experimented with friends and family, and walked into a room open carrying, and my gun is black, my belt is black, my shirt and jeans are dark.... people don't even notice. I am sometimes amazed at what people don't pick up on.

So much of the last few years of my work life I had to be hyper vigilant. I'm convinced that most victims are just sleep walking, lol!

Thanks for the detailed post Dave, very informative. I enjoyed reading it and learning about your style of dress when you conceal. :)

We need more posts like this from you sir! :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thanks for the kind words, @OkieStubble .
I am now at the age where if I'm gonna drag my carcass out in publik I might as well clean up good, lol.

And I know the answer before I ask it, of you, but don't ya just feel naked NOT carrying?

For some reason (probably doctor appointment in the hospital?) I don't remember, last week I was sans gun two days. One day I didn't even bring it along and stick it in the glove box while at the doctor's. Another time I was at the chiropractor and he laughed at my empty holster. I let him know that my licensed wife had it in her purse so don't hurt me, ha! Glad he has a good sense of humor!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
While I don't open carry in public, I admit that I have become less concerned about printing in the last few years since open carry has become more frequent. But I live in a relatively conservative area. If I lived elsewhere or in a more dangerous area, I'd be more diligent. I don't carry at the hospital or when I go to the doctors office, or the post office, but I always have a gun in my truck/car. When I go to church, it is one of those "mega-churches" and always has a highly visible detail of sheriff deputies. I could open carry my J-frame IWB with it's Barrami hip-grips and even if seen, most people would not even know what it is. It also has very little exposed profile to even print and is what I carry the most when dressed in light clothing.

OkieStubble

Thanks for the kind words, @OkieStubble .
I am now at the age where if I'm gonna drag my carcass out in publik I might as well clean up good, lol.

And I know the answer before I ask it, of you, but don't ya just feel naked NOT carrying?

For some reason (probably doctor appointment in the hospital?) I don't remember, last week I was sans gun two days. One day I didn't even bring it along and stick it in the glove box while at the doctor's. Another time I was at the chiropractor and he laughed at my empty holster. I let him know that my licensed wife had it in her purse so don't hurt me, ha! Glad he has a good sense of humor!

Funny that you mention this, because I actually had an MRI yesterday morning and was without my pistol. I was actually lying naked in the MRI machine with nothing on but a smile and a hospital gown, thinking about how naked I felt without my pistol. :)

Top Bottom