What's new

Still think open carry is a great idea?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
So you can die tired? :lol:
I believe this will come off reverse sexist, but on the whole, I think women AS A RULE are just better shots than a man, all things being equal, with a long gun.

I'll explain what I mean for those of you in Ria Linda: if you take a couple that are dating or married out to my HillBilly gun range you will probably find what I find: if they haven't shot before, or in a while, she'll outshoot him.

It's really a shot to some (okay, me!) guys ego that have shot relatively recently and their wife hasn't in years and she outshoots him!

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I believe this will come off reverse sexist, but on the whole, I think women AS A RULE are just better shots than a man, all things being equal, with a long gun.

I'll explain what I mean for those of you in Ria Linda: if you take a couple that are dating or married out to my HillBilly gun range you will probably find what I find: if they haven't shot before, or in a while, she'll outshoot him.

It's really a shot to some (okay, me!) guys ego that have shot relatively recently and their wife hasn't in years and she outshoots him!

The one and only time my wife shot sporting clays I was blown away by the amount of birds she broke. That is only the 2nd time she ever shot a shot gun.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I think the subject of concealed or open carry, is as a personal decision and individualistic necessity as choosing what type of pistol you like and ammo you want to carry. One size and one type of pistol doesn't fit all and obviously, one type of carry, concealed or open doesn't fit all.

There are legitimate pro's and con's to both. I usually conceal carry 95% of the time. But I can see the logic and the propensity of carrying my Glock 20 open carry if I am out camping in bear country, or a host of many other situations and scenario's.

As I said at the beginning of this thread,

I think the details of this topic, for and against, makes for great conversation and could be very enlightening to all of us, who are proponents or opponents of "open carry."

I would like to play devil's advocate for both.

It does make for great conversation, which can be enlightening and insightful for all of us and give us a respectful perspective of what others do and why. A Respectful Perspective.

It may not change our minds on what or how each of us decide to personally carry, for ourselves, but it should increase our respect and empathy and logic, and camaraderie, and support, for those who choose to do it differently than we do.

But we should never, ever, be one of those persons, who try to force our opinions of what we think or how we decide to do it, by downgrading others. Or always, incessantly insisting, and telling others, "their way is the best way" and there just isn't any other intelligent option. Why? Because "they say so."

No one person, should ever attempt to force their opinions on others, especially, if you actually have options. Those kinds of people, are always trying to tell everyone else, that their way is the best way and their training is better then others. Then they attempt to have a monopoly on expert advice, when they themselves "are not experts." Getting trained "by an expert", doesn't make one, "an expert."

Just because an expert taught you something, that doesn't make it "an end all opinion" Why? Because I can find you 10 famous experts who will tell you, 10 completely different opinions on a single subject matter.

No one, single person, should try to act like the "sole authority" and tell you, "what you should shoot" "what caliber you should carry" what "your training should look like or not look like" and what "holster you should or shouldn't carry."

Why? Because it's not what "they" have, it's not what "they" shoot or it's not what "they" carry or how "they trained" or "how they do things."

What "they don't realize" is, forcing and imposing what they think, with arrogance and haughtiness and coming off as they are the only one with the correct answer, wastes any good advice they might actually have to give.

Again, I am not opposed to concealed or open carry. It's quoted above for anyone who should have taken the time to read it, at the very start of the thread. I just don't believe, one way is best and all others are dumb?

I truly believe, what you carry, how you carry, what caliber you decide to use for YOU, what clothes you wear and what music you decide to listen too, IS ALL personal preference and what fits for YOU. I whole heartedly believe, whatever you believe fits you, I believe that also for you.

What you decide works for you, might not work for me. I might tell you that and why it doesn't work for me, but I'm not going to call you dumb, or question your training, or downplaying others logic with an indifferent attitude of the why's and why not's, of what you think, while constantly shoving my "training resume" down your throat in an false attempt to gain superiority in an internet conversation.

In my opinion, whatever you decide for yourself and in the situation or scenario you think you need open carry or concealed carry. As long as you are doing either/both responsibly? And you know and accept the Pro's and Con's of both?

Then both ways are excellent choices in my mind. :)

Last edited:
I think the subject of concealed or open carry, is as a personal decision and individualistic necessity as choosing what type of pistol you like and ammo you want to carry. One size and one type of pistol doesn't fit all and obviously, one type of carry, concealed or open doesn't fit all.

There are legitimate pro's and con's to both. I usually conceal carry 95% of the time. But I can see the logic and the propensity of carrying my Glock 20 open carry if I am out camping in bear country, or a host of many other situations and scenario's.

As I said at the beginning of this thread,

It does make for great conversation, which can be enlightening and insightful for all of us and give us a respectful perspective of what others do and why. A Respectful Perspective.

It may not change our minds on what or how each of us decide to personally carry, for ourselves, but it should increase our respect and empathy and logic, and camaraderie, and support, for those who choose to do it differently than we do.

But we should never, ever, be one of those persons, who try to force our opinions of what we think or how we decide to do it, by downgrading others. Or always, incessantly insisting, and telling others, "their way is the best way" and there just isn't any other intelligent option. Why? Because "they say so."

No one person, should ever attempt to force their opinions on others, especially, if you actually have options. Those kinds of people, are always trying to tell everyone else, that their way is the best way and their training is better then others. Then they attempt to have a monopoly on expert advice, when they themselves "are not experts." Getting trained "by an expert", doesn't make one, "an expert."

Just because an expert taught you something, that doesn't make it "an end all opinion" Why? Because I can find you 10 famous experts who will tell you, 10 completely different opinions on a single subject matter.

No one, single person, should try to act like the "sole authority" and tell you, "what you should shoot" "what caliber you should carry" what "your training should look like or not look like" and what "holster you should or shouldn't carry."

Why? Because it's not what "they" have, it's not what "they" shoot or it's not what "they" carry or how "they trained" or "how they do things."

What "they don't realize" is, forcing and imposing what they think, with arrogance and haughtiness and coming off as they are the only one with the correct answer, wastes any good advice they might actually have to give.

Again, I am not opposed to concealed or open carry. It's quoted above for anyone who should have taken the time to read it, at the very start of the thread. I just don't believe, one way is best and all others are dumb?

I truly believe, what you carry, how you carry, what caliber you decide to use for YOU, what clothes you wear and what music you decide to listen too, IS ALL personal preference and what fits for YOU. I whole heartedly believe, whatever you believe fits you, I believe that also for you.

What you decide works for you, might not work for me. I might tell you that and why it doesn't work for me, but I'm not going to call you dumb, or question your training, or downplaying others logic with an indifferent attitude of the why's and why not's, of what you think, while constantly shoving my "training resume" down your throat in an false attempt to gain superiority in an internet conversation.

In my opinion, whatever you decide for yourself and in the situation or scenario you think you need open carry or concealed carry. As long as you are doing either/both responsibly? And you know and accept the Pro's and Con's of both?

Well said @OkieStubble

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.

Also remember that Open Carry does not exclude the possibility of simultaneous concealed carry as well.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 I'm with Descartes in this...

proxy.php

See, that's why I go around in a ghillie suit most of the time.

If they can't find ya, they can't make ya work.

AA

Open carry if you want. Really no different that open carrying one of those large folding knives that never seem to generate a second glance. If I even notice someone open carrying it’s to admire their quality of handgun. I see no taboo in it, which is why some notice.

Top Bottom