What's new

Still not impressed with Tabac

OK, I've used Tabac several times now, and I still can't get a slick lather out of it. I've been told to add more water, so I did. No real difference. The smell is fine. The soap is not. I'm just not impressed. It sure has a lot of fans, though. So far, I don't know why. The puck of Williams I had immediately before this performed better.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Try this: work it in a bowl until the lather is thick like marshmallow cream. Rub it on your face. Wet your hand. Rub into the lather on your face. You should feel the slickness. Work it til you feel it being really slick. Add more water to your hand or more lather to your face or both. It will get very very slick.

If you're up to it keep at it. Load heavy and yes, lots of water.
What he said.

Buy a 26mm or 28mm synthetic knot brush from Italian Barber or Maggard's or your favorite vendor and load away. Anything less than 15 seconds and it's good lather but thin with very little slickness for razor glide. The razor will jump as you shave !

Sent by the Shave Maharaja from my SM-A705GM using Tapatalk

Still trying to get along with the sent. The performance is one of the best in my rotation. For me it works best with a synthetic damp brush. Blooming also reduces loading time, but is not required.

OK, I've used Tabac several times now, and I still can't get a slick lather out of it. I've been told to add more water, so I did. No real difference. The smell is fine. The soap is not. I'm just not impressed. It sure has a lot of fans, though. So far, I don't know why. The puck of Williams I had immediately before this performed better.
I load the brush for a good thirty seconds, can then either face lather or whip up a meringue in a scuttle.

Tabac soap doesn't need too much blooming, I just put some drops of water on it to wet the surface and load with a damp synthetic brush, and then start working on face lathering.

I load it without much pressure for about 20 seconds, same as for Williams Mug Soap.

I especially enjoy face lathering with the Tabac, and Williams Mug Soap, and sometimes it borders indulgence.

I start by just painting the loaded brush for face lathering, and continue to do so for some time.

When I get to the point that there is a thin layer of lather and it is becoming a bit dry, dip the edge of bristles in water and again start painting with the brush.

I do this to gradually impart moisture into the lather while working on it, painting strokes are preferred during this stage.

I agitate it later on when my lather is increasing wet but not too much wet, then magic of Tabac happens, and it comes back with even creamier lather and that is what I use for shaving.

If you can make friends with Tabac, it would be a great soap in your rotation, at least try till you get desired results and then later on judge if it is worth it or not.

I only have the Tabac shave stick which face lathers easily with a synthetic brush. I haven't tried the puck. Before you give up on it you could try to make a shave stick from your puck. Grate it up and push it into one of the twist up shave stick tubes they sell at Maggard's and PAA.

Top Bottom