What's new

Still looking

Hey guys I am new to wet shaving. Mostly been double edge shaving and purchased a few $30 straight razors which I am not happy with. I bought all the good honeing stones and learned from YouTube and can get a hanging hair cut edge but the shaves just suck. Do I need a higher quality straight razor? if so any suggestions?

What kind of $30 dollar razors did you buy?
Honing can look easy, but what it comes down to is precision(completely flat stones, and a proper bevel(easier said than done). It should be able to cut hair with ease after bevel set). After that it is quick work to refine the edge.
The more you hone the better you get, it's not difficult but you have to do everything right.
Over honing on finishing stones can cause microshipping aswell.

Edit: what stones do you have?

Last edited:
Also, when I was new to straight razors, my shaving technique was bad. It is not just the blade, but everything else as well.

One mistake I made was changing too many things at once. If you can make one change at a time you might be better off. Jody

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
I also have Shapton stones and Norton ceramic from 1000 to 30,000 grit.

I shave after a shower. Is that enough to soften the stubble or should I hot towel too?
Thanks for the help guys.

shave after a shower. Is that enough to soften the stubble or should I hot towel too?

That should be fine. What soap are you using? Are you using a brush? Are you stropping the razor?

I leave bath soap on my face for a while, in the shower before rinsing it off. Also, I learned to like more water in the shave soap, I leave it pretty wet. You could try dipping your brush tips in water to add more water to your lather.

I would try one change at a time, to see if it makes a difference. You will find many ideas, trying them one at a time is my suggestion. And start small (master one small, easy to shave area first).

I use Taylor of old shave cream. I use a real badger hair brush. And I do strop my razors as the last step. Thanks for all of your tips and advice, I think I will just slow down and concentrate on the steps like you said.

Best honing advice....invest in a 10 dollar 20x or 30x triplet jewelers loupe and look up and down the bevel on both sides to see how your honing progression is going. My honing improved greatly when I was able to see the bevel edge and how polished it was.

Also check and see if the blade isn't warped, place it on a granite counter top leaving the scales hanging off. Press up and down the blade and see if you can hear an audible clink. Just don't let the razor drop to the floor from the scales hanging off the edge.

Larry

Top Bottom