What's new

Still looking for a decent yet not way overpriced Panama Hat.

Last year I posted about looking for a Panama Hat.
I didn't end up buying one.

I've been researching them for a long time and I know enough to know that they are a total ripoff.
The middle man jacks up the price way beyond what is necessary to get a good hat.

So forget the $2000+ hats.
That's just silly IMO.

Any Panama Hat wearers out there with a reasonably priced hat have any suggestions?

strop

Now half as wise
I have a Cuenca and a Montecristi from Bob. The latter was one of the least expensive models, but is still very nice.

I just got a Cuenca made hat from Bob, purchased off eBay. It's my first Panama and I am fairly impressed with the quality / price ratio. It was true-to-size and fits like it was made for me. I am impressed enough with it that I fully intend to order another, better one from his website for next summer.

Regardless, here's a link to the BIN eBay listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/33072749405...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_555wt_1397

The only regret is it's white. I believe I would have preferred one in natural, but he didn't have one in the style I wanted in natural on the 'bay.

I spent some time poking around last night, but the longer shipping time of some of the imported hats was a deal breaker.
Ended up buying a $90 Stetson from AZ-Tex

http://www.aztexhats.com/products/89-Stetson-Hats/818-Stetson-Retro-Panama-Fedora-Dress-Hat/

$retropanamadress.jpg

I just purchased this one from hattownusa thanks to this thread. I actually needed a new Panama, my old one was destroyed by one of our dogs, or all three of them, they won't fess up to it. You cannot be a cigar smoker and not own a Panama hat, I'm pretty sure it's an international law. It should arrive this week.

Attachments

• $new hat.jpg
    $new hat.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 144
I got my Akubra Capricorn yesterday, in "natural." Very nice. It will take a bit of adjusting since I have a 'long oval' head and Akubras take a little time to adjust, but in time it will be as comfortable as my other two.

Still waiting for a hat order # 1190 placed on July 29, 2015. Called a few months ago and was told a credit would be issued. Have not gotten a credit yet. The price might sound good but if you never get the hat its not so good.

Top Bottom