What's new

Still have Razor burn, and have actually tried everything...

So, the first time I ever shaved, I got razor burn on my neck, right above my adams apple. I hated it and it was the reason I got serious about shaving in the first. Fast forward 6 years and I still have razir burn, this is what I do.

Razor: I usually shave with a grim dollar straight razor shavette, I have a safety razor, I just feel I get a better shave with the shavette. I've been using it for 2 years now, so I would hope its not a matter of technique.

Products: I use Holy Black snake oil for a preshave, right now Casswey Massey's ROS shaving cream, badger hair brush, and the an alum block and The Holy Black gunpowder and spice aftershave. I then apply a normal moisturizer to my face.

Process: I shave everyday, right after a hot shower. Wet my face, apply preshave, apply cream DIRECTLY to my face. This cream doesn't work up a lather in my scuttle, then let it sit for a minute. Reapply and shave. I usually only do one pass, with the grain. Then, cold water rinse, apply alum block. Rinse that off then use aftershave. Then apply moisturizer.

This is what I do every day, and am still plagued with razor rash on my neck. When I've used straight razors, my burn gets significantly better, but I tend to struggle to keep them sharp, and being in college don't have the time nor money to be honing them all day.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

So, the first time I ever shaved, I got razor burn on my neck, right above my adams apple. I hated it and it was the reason I got serious about shaving in the first. Fast forward 6 years and I still have razir burn, this is what I do.

Razor: I usually shave with a grim dollar straight razor shavette, I have a safety razor, I just feel I get a better shave with the shavette. I've been using it for 2 years now, so I would hope its not a matter of technique.

Products: I use Holy Black snake oil for a preshave, right now Casswey Massey's ROS shaving cream, badger hair brush, and the an alum block and The Holy Black gunpowder and spice aftershave. I then apply a normal moisturizer to my face.

Process: I shave everyday, right after a hot shower. Wet my face, apply preshave, apply cream DIRECTLY to my face. This cream doesn't work up a lather in my scuttle, then let it sit for a minute. Reapply and shave. I usually only do one pass, with the grain. Then, cold water rinse, apply alum block. Rinse that off then use aftershave. Then apply moisturizer.

This is what I do every day, and am still plagued with razor rash on my neck. When I've used straight razors, my burn gets significantly better, but I tend to struggle to keep them sharp, and being in college don't have the time nor money to be honing them all day.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
If a straight razor gives you less rash and burn you might try shaving with a wedge or near wedge straight razor. They are more forgiving and you shouldn’t have to hone them as frequently as you think. However you will need a strop.
Whatever you use obviously minimal pressure always.

Reactions: CCR
Try shaving without prep before the shower. Just splash some water on, face or bowl lather, and go at it. Some people report better results that way, stiffer whiskers stand up straighter than ones that are soggy; personally I just rub some water, lather up, and shave, then hop in the shower afterwards

Ditch the alum. That might help.

Agree with ditching the alum, which irritates. You might replace that step with Witch hazel, which soothes.

Also, reading the description of your aftershave make me think it may irritate as well. but, I've never used it.

Welcome to B&B.
Razor: I usually shave with a grim dollar straight razor shavette, I have a safety razor, I just feel I get a better shave with the shavette. I've been using it for 2 years now...
Perhaps you should try some different blades till you find some that are compatible with your situation. Blades can make a big difference in the shave.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
A SR only needs honing ONCE. If properly honed to 0.1um diamond paste, that edge can be maintained indefinitely with only 1 to 2 minutes work after each shave.

Some fine suggestions above!

You should also consider mapping your beard, especially the problem areas.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have no idea what will work but there are a few things which come to mind.

A Damn Comfortable Shave has always been my objective. It's been an elusive goal but one I've finally achieved on a consistent basis so I know it can be done as in if I can do it anyone can. A Damn Comfortable Shave means.
  • Comfortable during the shave.
  • Comfortable immediately after the shave.
  • Comfortable until the next shave.

1600526096638.png

Sometimes using cold water for everything after the shower can help. I was a 100% cold water shaver for a couple of years and enjoyed it. Now I use warm and hot water, but cold can be a good option to reduce inflammation from shaving.

I've even used ice water sometimes.

You might ditch the aftershave for a while. You might also ditch the alum for a while. I'm talking elimination of one thing at a time, elimination of one variable at a time to see what happens.

I used safety razors for a long time and noticed more comfort with straights when I got into them. With barber razors which use replaceable blades such as the Feather SS the blade brand and type can make a difference. Now I'm back to using DE razors, slants, particularly the FOCS, and getting even more comfortable shaves.

HyaluronicAcid.@HoldenBeach.2020.480.JPGCremo@Holden.2020.480.JPG

Hyaluronic acid (HA) was a game changer for my post shave skin and has been for a lot of guys; Frank did me a huge favor when he told me about it, but I had to try the stuff to see what it could do. I'm glad I was listening because he barely mentioned it. Here's a thread worth reading on the subject. I now apply HA to my damp but not wet post shave skin and follow it with my moisturizer. It works a treat for me. It's inexpensive, too. I can't tell you how much hyaluronic acid has helped my skin!

Sometimes less is more when it comes to pre and post shave products. I think maybe you're using far too much stuff on your skin. I'd suggest just washing your face in the shower preshave + face lathering + HA and moisturizer post shave and nothing else. Maybe an aftershave, but Goal Number One is a Damn Comfortable Shave rather than smelling good.

My most sensitive area is the skin below my Adam's Apple. I tread very lightly there and shave only in one direction. It's a small area but discomfort there can ruin my day and used to, but no longer.

There is hope.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom