What's new

Stiffest Semogue Brush?

There are so many Semogue brushes.
I prefer Boar to Badger. Stiff brushes make whipping up a lather very easy for me...and I like easy!
What’s the stiffest Semogue brush?
Thanks!

Mistura (boar and badger mix) C5 Torga :thumbup1:
c5torga.jpeg

The 620 is very good if you primarily face lather. Also consider the 1800 which has a mix of boar bristles that provides a lot of backbone. The 1800 is a medium-size brush, versatile enough for face lathering or bowl lathering.

What the C5 Torga boar and mistura offer is a very dense 24mm knot with fairly short loft of around 50mm. These give the "wall of boar" or "wall of badger" effect but the brush size is still manageable.

Is it stiffer than the 620?
Many people report the 620 losing much of it's backbone once thoroughly broken in. I reckon it'd be a contender up to that point, though. I only have first hand experience with the 1470(610) however, which has retained its backbone nicely, and while It's definitely scrubby...I don't know if I'd call it "stiff" though. My Omegas are my "stiffest" boars, as they seem to have thicker bristles and don't splay like Semogues. Especially my 13564 and 40033

Many people report the 620 losing much of it's backbone once thoroughly broken in. I reckon it'd be a contender up to that point, though. I only have first hand experience with the 1470(610) however, which has retained its backbone nicely, and while It's definitely scrubby...I don't know if I'd call it "stiff" though. My Omegas are my "stiffest" boars, as they seem to have thicker bristles and don't splay like Semogues. Especially my 13564 and 40033
Thanks. Good to know. My first ( and only) brush so far is the Omega 80266). I like it. I just think I could do better 😉

Is the 13564 better than the 40033?

Thanks. Good to know. My first ( and only) brush so far is the Omega 80266). I like it. I just think I could do better 😉

Is the 13564 better than the 40033?
Better is so subjective. I like the slightly larger handle of the 13564. Both knots perform well and will leave you not for want of backbone/stiffness.

I also like a stiff brush. most people prefer the light feather touch of an expensive badger brush and if they have a boar brush they break it in in order to soften it. I like the stiff boar brush that easy to lather and also better at exfoliating dead skin.
from what I understand boar brushes get softer after a while..Are there any brushes out there that stay stiff? I'd like to know that..

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
A boar brush or pure badger is about as stiff a brush they make in natural hair brushes. My suggestion is buy a cheap boar brush and use it until you want more stiffness and replace with another cheap boar brush.......... I'm not sure why you want anything stiffer IMO(brush burn). The shorter the loft the stiffer it becomes, bigger Diameter knot can give stiffness also. Semogue makes excellent boar brushes and just buy their cheapest model and you will be happy from what you mentioned + your not out a lot money if you change your mind.(acrylic handle is one to look at when soaking possibly IMO.)

A boar brush or pure badger is about as stiff a brush they make in natural hair brushes. My suggestion is buy a cheap boar brush and use it until you want more stiffness and replace with another cheap boar brush.......... I'm not sure why you want anything stiffer IMO(brush burn). The shorter the loft the stiffer it becomes, bigger Diameter knot can give stiffness also. Semogue makes excellent boar brushes and just buy their cheapest model and you will be happy from what you mentioned + your not out a lot money if you change your mind.(acrylic handle is one to look at when soaking possibly IMO.)

Thanks Ron

Excellent advice.
I don't get brush burn at all - i didn't even know there was such a thing..
I'll keep buying and replacing cheap boar brushes.
Cheers mate!

Semogue 1460 Boar.
Won't loose its backbone even when broken in due to the rather short loft (22mm/50mm).

I have both Semogue and Omega boar brushes. If you want a stiffer boar brush, skip the Semogue brushes and go for one of the Omega brushes like the Omega Professional 10098. It has soft tips, yet still retains great stiffness if you break it in properly. I greatly prefer the Omega to my Semogues. I never have an issue getting a great lather with the Omega; I seldom get a great lather with Semogue.

On the other hand, the Semogue SOC badger is a nice brush, worth the price.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Good purchase, and I’m certain you’ll love it. Please share your thoughts as you break your 1250 in. My only boar is a Zenith, but it’s my daily brush.

S

Scrubby

I had expected someone to mention the SOC Mistura. Have my eye on it but i also like stiffer badgers (Simpsons manchurian). Is the SOC mistura a wet mop compared to the Torga c5 mistura?

Top Bottom