What's new

Stiff silvertip?

I just ordered and received a silvertip Shavemac brush after reading several very positive comments about their brushes. This is my first brush.

I have to say that the brush is a bit more stiff and prickly against my face than I anticipated. I was expecting the tips to be luxuriously soft, but didn't find them to be that way at all. Since this is my first brush, I have nothing to compare to, so perhaps my expectations were not realistic (perhaps it really is much softer than pure or best badger).

Does this sound normal?

Darren

Hi Darren. Welcome to B&B.

Shavemac brushes are extremely densely packed, and have the general characteristics of "firm but soft". That is, the bristles are quite firm (don't flop around), but the tips are soft. Many gents feel that this is an optimum combination.

If you are looking for the "wet soft mop" effect, this brush perhaps wasn't the best choice. Vulfix, Edwin Jagger, Savile Row Super-badger and other brushes will produce this quality.

Hope this helps. Shavemacs are great brushes. Perhaps use it for a bit and see how it goes.

Greetings Darren,
And welcome to B&B.
Chapter I Badger Hair Taxonomy 101
You are confronting one of the problems gents new to the practice of wet shaving all encounter. You have no point of reference to make a comparison. I am not sure which Shavemac brush you purchased, but based upon my personal experience and that of many others, it is a fine brush that provides exceptionally good quality at a highly competitive price. Note: This is sometimes called value.
Now, there are many poobahs and potentates of badger brushes (connosieurs?) that will speak in absolutes (their own universe's accepted reference) about high this, top that, super fine, mighty fine, and unbelievably fine, but really miss the point. The sensory experience that YOU have with your brush and the brush's ability to produce good lather consistently are the two real determiners of brush quality. Without going into an indepth hair grading tutorial (best done by those fellows from China that do it all day long), in the past it was generally accepted that there were three classes (grades) of badger hair used in brushes:
  1. Pure
  2. Best
  3. Super
These grades are linked to the appearance and other qualities of the hair. From top to bottom stiffer to more soft, holds llittle water to hold a lot of water. The different grades are culled from different areas of the badger's coat (wet shavers we are gathered here to cull the dearly departed's coat?).
At times the market place identified the hair as:
  1. Browns
  2. Grays
  3. Silvertip
At other times the additional taxonomy of straights and tapers was added to the above further clarifying and qualifying the desireability/price of the hair.
Today there are some brush houses and merchants that generate new, more numerous (need I add MORE EXPENSIVE?) grades to extract the last ecu from the consumer's pocket. So enough of that. That was badger hair taxonomy 101.
To your concerns, silvertip is identified in some circles as a premium selection of super grade badger hair. One of the qualities ascribed by the venders to this premium hair is a certain resiliency that provides a scritchiness without stiffness that is missing in the other grades of hair. Another quality is exceptional water loading and holding (in excess of the capabilities of the other grades). Many folks find these two qualities highly desirable, yet others just flat out don't like one or both of them. Who's right? Who's wrong? My take, neither are. Relating back to my original statement:
The sensory experience that YOU have with your brush and the brush's ability to produce good lather consistently are the two real determiners of brush quality.​
Chapter II... Enter SBAD and other maladies.
Not ever believing for a moment that, "It is only shaving," gents (myself included) really get into seeking the perfect this or the ultimate that. I guess it comes from middle-age crisis, or an obsessive compulsive-related disorder. So we start buying bunches, heaps and gobs of all kinds of brushes. Some gents buy brushes the cost of which could feed a family of four in some third world countries for a year. No criiticism intended, this is just to give you a point of reference. We compare the qualities, capacities, human-factors design, and PRICE (After all, isn't more costly mo' better? Not necessarily.).
Give your brush a chance. See how it feels after it blossoms. Do believe that a small amout of resilience is lost with time. If you are unhappy with it after 4 to 6 months, life is too short to be miserable about this kind of purchase. Buy a softer super badger. There are many brands and models available. Ask for advice based on experience. BUT always remember that these are personal evaluations, not absolutes. One gent's pleasantly scritchy is anothers unpleasant scratchy.

Sure hope that long-winded tale helps... Happy Holidays!:smile:

Darren---I have, what I think might be a similar brush from Shavemac. Mine was stiff also, however, after about 3-4 shaves, it became very soft. Please remember that this brush is packed in a very dense manner and won't "flop" around much. I think it is a great combination and exfolliates the skin very well.

Good luck & enjoy!

Well said Ron.........:a14:

FWIW: if you want a firm brush with very soft silvertips, than my Shavemac #220 comes very near to this description; it is very densely packed, resilient, yet with very soft bristle tips; same counts for my Plisson #20 HMW but this brush is in a ehhh..... somewhat different price range......
(there's only one "but": the tips of my 6 different Shavmacs differ in softness; i mean to say: the one #220 is not guaranteed the same as the other #220................)

Peter

Thanks, everyone, for all the helpful feedback.

mark the shoeshine boy said:
which brush is it (#) and how many times have you used it ???

Well, the brush is part #42923763, since it came from the custom section (I got one of custom handle colors). But I don't think the part# is relevant. But it was specified as "Silver Tip" with a 23mm knot, purportedly the same as what is designated "Silver Tip Hand L" in the non-custom section.

I have not yet used the brush, so I have no idea how it will soften up (as seems to be expected from the comments here). I am still awaiting my Markur Progress DE razor, which I should have tomorrow. I will probably wait until Saturday to try my first shave, since I will want to take my time at it for the first time. We all want out first time to be special, you know. :wink:

Darren

drP said:
Well said Ron.........:a14:

FWIW: if you want a firm brush with very soft silvertips, than my Shavemac #220 comes very near to this description; it is very densely packed, resilient, yet with very soft bristle tips; same counts for my Plisson #20 HMW but this brush is in a ehhh..... somewhat different price range......
(there's only one "but": the tips of my 6 different Shavmacs differ in softness; i mean to say: the one #220 is not guaranteed the same as the other #220................)

Peter
Dank u Peter. Vrolijke Kerstmis en een Gelukkig Nieuw Jaar.

Ron, How are the bristles on your new Saville row Silvertip? Can you give us a comparison to your other brushes?

mike said:
Ron, How are the bristles on your new Saville row Silvertip? Can you give us a comparison to your other brushes?
Yes, I would prefer to wait till the end of a week's use to ensure I am not missing any characteristics, but....
Most densely packed, moreso than even the Kent BK-12.
As high a quality silvertip as the eshave silvertip or perhaps higher. (Nice and creamy tips, holds ton of water)
Head shape is reminiscent of the German or French (high $) brushes.
Good resiliency, not at all mopish (I hate that term) like the Vulfix #41.
A real lather generator.. With two outings, it has proven equal to the best with the QED soaps. Another day or two and its on to the triple milled and then the creams.. This is why I say these are preliminary results. The badger feel is firm, yet luxiurious. No cat's tongue, but not a feather boa either.
Thusfar I am exceptionally pleased.

dhiebert said:
I have not yet used the brush, so I have no idea how it will soften up (as seems to be expected from the comments here).
Darren,

Don't worry it WILL NOT feel the same once you lather it up. The brand new, dry hair does feel a little stiff and even prickly. The great thing about the knot density in Shavemacs is that the hair kinda creates a single mass when lathering -- it doesn't splay or mop. I find it to be quite a smooth and luxurious feeling.

Top Bottom