What's new

"STICKY" post for soaps -Need HELP? read this!

Scuttles are not on the soap sticky, am I looking in the wrong place? From photos on-line, and having never used one or seen one in person, I can only assume that it is basically a 'double boiler' for your lather. Is this an accurate description?

I'm new and haven't tried to get a lather yet. Still waiting for my stuff to arrive. Reading the tutorial, it looks like having two bowls is recommended? Or did I misread something? I have a 70s era Old Spice mug on the way. I really don't have much idea what I am doing though. I also got a Col Conk Bay Rum on the way.

-CHRIS

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I'm new and haven't tried to get a lather yet. Still waiting for my stuff to arrive. Reading the tutorial, it looks like having two bowls is recommended? Or did I misread something? I have a 70s era Old Spice mug on the way. I really don't have much idea what I am doing though. I also got a Col Conk Bay Rum on the way.

-CHRIS

The right answer is, is depends. You can use 2 bowl or just 1, it depends how you want to do this.

Let me explain
-Some will load their brush on the puck (living in a bowl) and build the lather in a different bowl (so 2 bowls needed yes)
-Some will load their brush on the puck (living in a bowl) and build the lather directly on their face (facelathering) - (so 1 bowl needed)
-Some will load their brush on the puck (living in a bowl) and build the lather directly in the same bowl (so 1 bowl needed)

All methods are good, the third one, however, may use much more soap than the first two.

I'm rather new, and I was wondering what do you usually do with your soaps after you lather? Do you close the lid/leave it open to air dry? Does it matter if it's a soft/hard soap? Do you wash away the remainder of the lather from the bowl/container where "the soap lives"?

I'm rather new, and I was wondering what do you usually do with your soaps after you lather? Do you close the lid/leave it open to air dry? Does it matter if it's a soft/hard soap? Do you wash away the remainder of the lather from the bowl/container where "the soap lives"?

Hello DonnerJack and welcome to B&B. Start a new thread here and I am sure you will get some great answers. I leave mine uncovered, but covered if they come in a receptacle with a cover. I do not notice much difference.

I'm glad I took the time to venture here...
I have been using my soap wrong the last couple of years.
I just leave my soap block in the bowl, moisten my brush and swirl until there is "adequate" lather to slick up my face.
Next shave I'll definitely have to give this a shot!

Thanks for the info!

I you use it everyday (i.e., 3017ing), a cover does soften the soap somewhat. Loading gets easier, although if the soap starts soft like a croap, it could get very mushy towards the end, which funny enough, can actually be somewhat problematic for getting the right amount of soap into the brush.

Thank you for your job! I've found the thread about shaving sticks really fast and now I'm interested in trying them.

Top Bottom