What's new

Sticky Holster hack.

I have worn several "sticky" type holsters. They all rely on friction to keep the holster in the pants when you draw but they have a couple drawbacks. One is no retention to speak of. Can't fix that one but I hit on a solution for issue number two. They can work their way out of position and fall out or down your pants leg. Trust me I know about the latter case.

I brainstormed for a while and looked through my various boxes of pieces parts until I spied an unused black nylon watch band, bingo. I sewed a loop of it to the reinforced piping on the Sticky holster and voila! Keeps the holster in position. Can't work it's way out and can't fall down my pants leg anymore. I can wear it deep in the waistband.

If I had the time and parts I would put a snap on top of it since I have to thread the belt all the way round. If the folks who own the Sticky Holster patent rights see this: I'll take my royalties for your upgrade sales in cash please.
IMG_7121.jpeg

Last edited:
Aren't most "sticky" holsters meant to be pocket holsters, not IWB? I suppose with the loop it becomes more like an Uncle Mike's soft holster, like @OkieStubble used to prefer.
How to wear a Sticky Holster
Sticky Holster and other gear This video features some other cool gear.
I think I will look into that soft holster. Come to think of it I may have one in my holster drawer. :)
...and in a struggle or forced draw the watchband may fail.
I also have a Remora. The are all designed to be worn inside the waistband but he smaller ones can be used in a pocket. Afa the loop getting yanked off: The sticky type holsters have a smooth inside and little retention so there is no force on the loop when drawing the pistol. Friction keeps the holster in the waistband. I used fishing line, many crossed stitches so it's not going anywhere. It's only purpose is to keep the holster from shifting around, particularly since I wear it very low.

I have an Andrews Leather IWB coming but if it is like most I've tried the heavy handled P7M13 may have a tendency to rotate to the back. Hopefully it won't. Won't know for 2 months.

Last edited:
Only holsters I own are Leather.
You don't have a holster drawer full of holsters and holster parts? Have you tried Kydex?

I'm a big fan of Kydex. It is easily adjusted with a heat gun, cool, repels moisture, thin, good retention. Leather is the choice of many but I haven't found a single one yet that beats a well fitted Kydex rig for IWB. Sweaty leather against my skin is irritating and it gets hot/humid down here.

Here's one I made from scratch for EDC. Cool, comfortable, secure. Pistol seats firmly with a distinct click. Although you can see the trigger outline it is not touched until after the pistol is fully inserted. I used gloved fingers to press the heated Kydex into the trigger guard until I got the retention I wanted. Moleskin covers the skin contact area.

Total cost: ~10 bucks.
IMG_7142.jpeg
IMG_7143.jpeg

Last edited:
You don't have a holster drawer full of holsters and holster parts? Have you tried Kydex?

I'm a big fan of Kydex. It is easily adjusted with a heat gun, cool, repels moisture, thin, good retention. Leather is the choice of many but I haven't found a single one yet that beats a well fitted Kydex rig for IWB.

Here's one I made from scratch. Cool, comfortable, secure. Pistol seats firmly with a distinct click. Although you can see the trigger outline it is not touched until after the pistol is fully inserted. View attachment 1654866View attachment 1654864

I tried Kydex years ago, desert heat made it crack at belt top.

Gun leather is my go too, love Milt Sparks.

Hoyt Break Front was my duty holster when I was law dog. Great product for wheel gun.

Aren't most "sticky" holsters meant to be pocket holsters, not IWB? I suppose with the loop it becomes more like an Uncle Mike's soft holster, like @OkieStubble used to prefer.
Not necessarily. They make Sticky holsters for large autos and revolvers, not just pocket pistols.
I've carried several medium-sized autos IWB in Sticky or Remora holsters that are far too large for pocket carry.
They're not always the best choice as a holster but they do fit a need for something quick and easy sometimes.

I tried Kydex years ago, desert heat made it crack at belt top.

Gun leather is my go too, love Milt Sparks.

Hoyt Break Front was my duty holster when I was law dog. Great product for wheel gun.
If the Andrews rig feels right I will wear it. Owners of the P7 line like it a lot and recommended it on HKPro forum. Do you oil your leather or treat it to repel moisture?

If the Andrews rig feels right I will wear it. Owners of the P7 line like it a lot and recommended it on HKPro forum. Do you oil your leather or treat it to repel moisture?

Saddle Soap works ok, to keep
Leather from drying out.

My Sam Brown was all Safariland, except Hoyt Holster. Black KEWI Shoe Polish was my go too for keeping looking good.

County issued was Safety Speed stuff, not good.

It hung in locker, because it was not good.

That’s a P7 it deserves something better :thumbup1: and much credit to you for carrying it:001_cool:
Funny you should mention that. I got some ribbing on another forum for carrying it in a $12 holster. Most think I'm nuts for even letting it see the light of day and aghast that I am carrying it. But what the heck good is a pistol in a box in the safe? Same as my razors, NIB or not, they get used. I guess I'm not a true collector, I'm more of an accumulator.

I would humbly assert

1. That is a lovely pistol that deserves a better holster (p7 or p13?)

2. Reholstering one handed with that holster is an unneeded challenge relative to carrying said pistol in something with a mouth that will not collapse.

3. Your presentation at speed would be demonstrably faster if the pistol was carried a bit higher such that you could get a higher/better/more of a master grip as the pistol was clearing the holster.

I fully acknowledge that pistol is a model which can be difficult to find/source a holster for in a simultaneous quality/fast fashion.

Funny you should mention that. I got some ribbing on another forum for carrying it in a $12 holster. Most think I'm nuts for even letting it see the light of day and aghast that I am carrying it. But what the heck good is a pistol in a box in the safe? Same as my razors, NIB or not, they get used. I guess I'm not a true collector, I'm more of an accumulator.
Just some ribbing from me as well. The P7 is a beautiful line of pistols. More pictures of the pistol please :biggrin1:

I would humbly assert

1. That is a lovely pistol that deserves a better holster (p7 or p13?)

2. Reholstering one handed with that holster is an unneeded challenge relative to carrying said pistol in something with a mouth that will not collapse.

3. Your presentation at speed would be demonstrably faster if the pistol was carried a bit higher such that you could get a higher/better/more of a master grip as the pistol was clearing the holster.

I fully acknowledge that pistol is a model which can be difficult to find/source a holster for in a simultaneous quality/fast fashion.
1. P7M13. I agree, it deserves a better holster, but the simple Sticky is so comfortable it will be hard to beat. I have a nice Andrews Leather McDaniel holster on the way. I hope it will secure the pistol as comfortably and securely.
2. Yes you can forget re-holstering one handed with the Sticky. It's impossible.
3. I carry it with the grip high so I can get a full grip without any fiddling. The pic shows it a bit off on the cant. I had to bend like a pretzel to get the photo and it shifted backwards a bit. If I don't keep it up next to my side the butt sticks out in back and makes an outrageously obvious print.

The problem with all the holsters I have tried except the Sticky is that the cant wont stay canted. Weight distribution causes the pistol to twist backwards. At least with the Sticky and loop the cant I set stays that way ftmp.
Just some ribbing from me as well. The P7 is a beautiful line of pistols. More pictures of the pistol please :biggrin1:
Ok. Here is some P7M13 eye candy.
IMG_7084.jpeg
IMG_6579.jpeg
IMG_6561.jpeg

Top Bottom