What's new

Sticking with One Razor?

...The Fixed Four sounds fun. Maybe I will give it a go. Is it posted here or in one of the Brotherhood pages?
Usually it's in the General section. Here is the 2020 thread...

I settled on one razor at home (my trusty Wolfman WR1) and one for traveling (a Lord L6)! I get fine/excellent results with this kit with a variety of ‘top-tier’ blades! :a29: :a29:

I cleaned out the rest of my razor ‘collection’ to focus on other ADs!! Works for me!

I currently have a Merkur Progress, Gillette Red Tip, Gillette Tech with a Maggard M1 handle, Gillette Fat Boy and a Rockwell 6C in my rotation. There are a myriad other razors in the drawer including a Gillette Super Speed which replaces the Tech ever so often. I shave everyday and use each razor for four shaves before moving to the next one. No rhyme or reason for this rotation system. But... it works for me. I would have a terrible time deciding on just one razor to use full time.

Hmm...

As far as razors, I pretty much whittled it down to two some time ago: Parker Variant for home, Parker A1R for "away game" stuff. Pretty much the same for blades as well (so far): Croma for home, KAI for away (mixed with Croma on occasion). My only switch-ups now are with soaps/creams, moving between D.R. Harris Arlington (cream/stick), Classic Rose/Violet (soap), Dr. Jon/WCS Sakura Musk (soap) and Pre de Provence (also soap, of course).

Attachments

• parkerA1Rvarant.jpg
    parkerA1Rvarant.jpg
    467.8 KB · Views: 10

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I'm wondering if this results from the opportunity to fine tune my technique with this particular razor.

I'm sure it does.

I would be willing to bet that many of our "best" shaving razors, are mostly due to us having technique that works well with them.

I would say any razor I have gives me better shaves after a week or so of continuous use with it. I'd guess my rotation means each one works at 80 to 90 percent of what it could if I sent the others packing and went solo.

I'm sure it does.

I would be willing to bet that many of our "best" shaving razors, are mostly due to us having technique that works well with them.

I would say any razor I have gives me better shaves after a week or so of continuous use with it. I'd guess my rotation means each one works at 80 to 90 percent of what it could if I sent the others packing and went solo.

I think you're right. I'm playing around with other things now, but when I go back to the Rockwell 6S, which I used for a long time, I usually get handed an autopilot DFS.

Sometimes that autopilot DFS is the best plan.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Razor monogamy has eluded me thus far. But, the Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB has gotten extended playing time lately, and I can envision it being ‘the one.’

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
It doesn't matter what is is...guitars, motocycles,golf clubs, mixing liquor, frisbees, banjos, amplifiers, women...if you stick with one and pay attention to it, you'll understand how to optimize the performance of the particular one.

This is certainly true for me, but I'm not sure if it's true for everyone.

Back n my early days of DE shaving, I put away every razor I had except my Merkur 33c and vowed to use it until I could go a full week with no cuts of any kind. Took me a long time but was well worth it. My technique improved to the point that mild razors, while giving a good shave, and not the ones I use the most. My preference now is my Gillette SS (Rocket) with the red tip. I also find my Aristocrat a good razor and back in that day I was afraid of the aggressiveness of both.

I have a 3one6 and we were an instant match. I have never had a bad shave with this razor.....bbs (or close) every time. I have 3 other razors that consistently provide similar close, comfortable shaves....Henson Ti22, Yates M-Plate, and Blackbird. I have many others, but none match these tools.

I do find if I shave for one razor for a week or longer, I begin to get better with it. I'm a changer, so I usually use a different razor after a couple of shaves.

Been exclusive with the Blackland Vector going on 2 months now.

I am not inclined towards having a collection (of anything, really), so was shocked to realize over 2 years ago that I had 19 razors...fast forward, sold them all off, got the Vector a year ago, cycled through various DE razors and a "vintage" injector in 2020, returned a defective coated aluminum base plate to one artisan (have the matching top cap listed for sale) and plan to buy a titanium DE in the next couple months, hopefully, something I'd want to use as a daily.

It is weird literally having only one (complete) razor in my possession. I have the aforementioned top cap and 3 handles sitting idle, but as far as razors go, that's it.

Been exclusive with the Blackland Vector going on 2 months now.

I am not inclined towards having a collection (of anything, really), so was shocked to realize over 2 years ago that I had 19 razors...fast forward, sold them all off, got the Vector a year ago, cycled through various DE razors and a "vintage" injector in 2020, returned a defective coated aluminum base plate to one artisan (have the matching top cap listed for sale) and plan to buy a titanium DE in the next couple months, hopefully, something I'd want to use as a daily.

It is weird literally having only one (complete) razor in my possession. I have the aforementioned top cap and 3 handles sitting idle, but as far as razors go, that's it.
Sounds exactly like what I'm planning to do. As per UPS my Vector arrives tomorrow. High hopes. Let's see...

Top Bottom