What's new

Steve Irwin "Crocodile Hunter" DEAD

"Crickey!" What terrible news. Who would've thought it would have been a sting ray? He will be missed.

He must have been messing around, Iv'e always found sting rays to be
very tame not aggresive at all particularly the big ones.
Sad news but a life well lived.

I've been doing some reading this morning on this. The producer said that he swam over a "bull ray" and the barb went right into his heart. It is generally believe that he died instantly.

All involved concede that this is NOT the normal behavior for a ray...

My prayers go out to the family he leaves behind.:frown:

Tragic.

Sometimes, Mr. Irwin would get a bit stupid (like with his son <edit I thought it was his daughter at first> and the croc) and its hard to say if he did this here.

Let me start by admitting my lack of expertise, but I understand that a sting ray will usually give good warning before it uses its barb--it pushes it up and uses it like a whip pather than just innocuously swimming by and it getting you. Perhaps, he was trying to demonstrate that for education then this was a very tragic demonstration indeed.

That being said, I think Steve Irwin was a over the top performer mostly for the right reasons and he did many good things. I will miss him not being around.

I feel for his family because they will be the ones to suffer as a result of this.

However, there is a reason 'wild' animals are called that.

Marty

Yeah, this is such sad news. I feel terrible for his family & friends. The stingray barb thing does sound a bit fishy (no pun intended at all). I mean, I'm certainly no expert, but that stingray would have to have some kind of massive force to get that barb through a sternum into a heart with enough force to puncture it. But at this point, that's immaterial. Certainly a loss for everyone involved and his fans worldwide.:frown:

Stingrays are more powerful than most people think.

Also keep in mind a 10 year old human child posesses enough strength to break someone's ribs with a single punch (this can be learned by watching a kid's martial arts class, those boards are approx as tough as a rib), let alone an animal with an appendage designed specifically to kill it's prey.

I'm going to miss the guy...I thought he was a little crazy, but he did a fantastic job of showing how truly powerful animals can be.

The barb went between the ribs and pierced the heart. Remember there is also a toxin in the barb as well. So it essentially injected the toxin directly into his heart and it stopped beating immediatly. Someone else posted that the barbs can be up to 10" in length. So keep that in mind as well.

I do not mean to imply any insensitivity, but in his passing at least Steve died working and filming amongst (one of thousands of) creatures he loved and not in an auto accident or the like.

Condolences to his family, but I hope that this does not put off his children from following in their father's footsteps if they wish too later on.

Tinzien said:
I do not mean to imply any insensitivity, but in his passing at least Steve died working and filming amongst (one of thousands of) creatures he loved and not in an auto accident or the like.

Condolences to his family, but I hope that this does not put off his children from following in their father's footsteps if they wish too later on.

We should all be so lucky as to die doing the thing we love most.:sad: :c4: :a35:

Steve is a National Hero in Australia. There was talk of a State Funeral for him but his wife said "no". He considered himself a regular bloke and wanted to be burried like one.

Reports say he pulled out the barb but died before reaching the boat.

I will miss him.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
av8or234 said:
We should all be so lucky as to die doing the thing we love most.:sad: :c4: :a35:

I want to go like Nelson Rockefeller.

(Please don't make me explain that one.)

HlSheppard said:
I've been doing some reading this morning on this. The producer said that he swam over a "bull ray" and the barb went right into his heart. It is generally believe that he died instantly.

All involved concede that this is NOT the normal behavior for a ray...

My prayers go out to the family he leaves behind.:frown:
Actually, what I read - and heard from his friend and producer on TV was that he was swimming over the ray and the ray snapped his tail upwards and pierced his heart. He didn't die instantly - he pulled the barb out and then went limp, supposedly he was alive when they pulled him into the boat and then died.

Too bad...too young at 44. :mad:

Cliff

Top Bottom