What's new

Steve H's Shaving Journal

This first journal installment covers the period 04-MAY-2016 through 24-JUN-2016.

On May 4th I did my first DE shave in 30+ years, using a Dorco TTO with a Dorco ST301 Platinum blade, Colgate mug soap, and a Razorock Plissoft Disruptor 22 mm synthetic brush. I shave generally every other day and last night - June 25th - had my 30th and final shave with the Dorco razor and ST 301 blade I started with. The blade worked great all along except for the last two shaves; the 29th being yesterday morning and it just wasn't cutting well, and the 30th being last night for touch-up before going out but the "touch-up" took around 40 minutes and left a lot of irritation in the neck area from too many passes even though I kept applying soap prior to each pass.

Almost all these shaves were with Colgate mug soap which I like. One shave was with an obsolete Giorgio's Extra Moisturizing shave cream, and the last four shaves I applied a small amount of Cremo shaving cream before lathering with Colgate mug soap on top of it. Overall I think the Dorco TTO w/ Dorco ST 301 Platinum blade performed well and gave good service. The attachment below shows the tools used for the final shave for this blade.

After shaves used during this time period were Williams Lectric on workday mornings and on weekends I used Mennen Skin Bracer, Aqua Velva Ice Blue, Brut Original (EU), and Italian Barber Amici. :001_smile

View attachment 668492

I'm an Amici fan too. I vary my after shave according to whim, using the ones mentioned above. Amici, along with the others, is wife approved so I'm good to go. The Old Spice mug not only looks nice but works well and is light in the hand.

I forgot to mention that while using a DE blade I flip it every now and again, probably every six or seven shaves. I don't know if that helps but I doubt it hurts and only takes a moment to do.

I've been a big fan of the "it doesn't hurt, and probably helps" mentality with regards to wet shaving lately lol. I haven't tried flipping the blade in a DE yet, but spend most of my time with a straight razor the last couple of months, so it's mostly a moot point.

There are so many great scent out there right now, and most are fairly priced. I am getting a fair collection of aftershaves, and tend to base my selection on mood, or how it pairs with what soap I'm using.

This second journal installment covers the period 25-JUN-2016 through 06-SEP-2016.

On June 25th I started shaving with a Schick Type L razor with a Personna (Ted Pella) blade in it. This morning I did my 32nd and final shave with this blade and replaced it with another Personna for next timne. All the shaves were DFS with the exception of the last three shaves which were in the CCS to CCS+ category. I'm a big fan of theSchick injector razor. It's very easy to use with no irritation.

All these shaves were with Colgate mug soap and today's shave was the last of the puck I have been using. This puck lasted 61 shaves total. My brush is a Razorock Plissoft Disruptor; a 22 mm synthetic which does a great job of lathering. The attachment below shows the tools used for the final shave for this blade.

After shaves used during this time period were the same as before - Williams Lectric or Aqua Velva Ice Blue on some workday mornings and on weekends I used Mennen Skin Bracer, Aqua Velva Ice Blue, Brut Original (EU), and Italian Barber Amici.

$Shave_Diary_09062016_1.jpg

This third journal installment covers the period 07-SEP-2016 through 05-MAY-2017.

On September 7th I continued shaving with a Schick Type L razor with a Personna (Ted Pella) blade in it and started a puck of Williams mug soap. This morning I did my 55th and final shave with this blade and replaced it with another Personna for next timne. The first 30 shaves were DFS and after that they were in the CCS to CCS+ category. I'm still a big fan of the Schick injector razor. It's very easy to use with no irritation. During this period I shaved every four days or so.

The first 39 shaves were with Williams mug soap until the puck was used up. The next 10 shaves were with a sample squeeze tube of Giorgio Extraordinary Moisturizing Shave Cream. The last six shaves were with Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Shave Cream. My brush is a Razorock Plissoft Disruptor; a 22 mm synthetic which does a great job of lathering. The attachment below shows the tools used for the final shave for this blade.

The Williams mug soap worked well though I prefer the Colgate mug soap which is no longer made. A puck of Colgate also lasts a little longer. The Giorgio shave cream sample was from the mid 1990's but worked well. The Neutrogena shave cream worked very well and I will continue with it.

After shaves used during this time period were Aqua Velva Ice Blue and Italian Barber Amici, though often I skipped the after shave.
Shave_Diary_05052017.JPG

I commend you for sticking with that blade for so long. Once I can't get DFS effortlessly, I tend to move on.

That AV bottle is gorgeous. I need to get a glass bottle at some point since the plastic ones are pretty meh looking.

I was curious to see how long I could get the blade to go. The next one I will probably stop around 30 which is where the DFS peters out.

I've had that bottle since the mid 1980's and the AV in it is the original stuff. When it runs out I will get a current bottle and decant into the glass bottle. The glass bottle not only looks better but feels better in the hand.

In the future I think I will stop at around 30 with the Personna blade. I wanted to see how far I could go with one of these blades and am convinced now that performance deteriorates noticeably after 30 shaves.

This fourth journal installment covers the period 06-MAY-2017 through 10-SEP-2017.

I used a Personna injector blade in a Schick Type L injector. It only lasted 26 shaves, the last of which was this afternoon. Perhaps I didn't inject the blade properly (I know the Personnas are tricky) or it was somewhat dull to begin with. Frankly, I could have (and probably should have) tossed this blade four or five shaves ago. I shaved every four or five days (retired now).

For each shave I initially lathered with Ivory soap and then after the first pass used the Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Shave Cream. Most shaves were two passes with touchup after each pass.

No photo this time as the tools haven't changed.

This fifth journal installment covers the period 11-SEP-2017 through 23-MAR-2018.

I used a Personna injector blade in a Schick Type L injector. It lasted 35 shaves, the last of which was just now. This last shave was noticeably rougher than the previous one. I shaved every four or five days.

For each shave I initially lathered with Ivory soap and then after the first pass used either Ivory soap again or sometimes Cremo Original Shave Cream. Most shaves were two passes with touchup after each pass.

Steve - Excalibur, SISSY

This sixth journal installment covers the period 24-MAR-2018 through 29-OCT-2018.

I used a Personna injector blade in a Schick Type L injector. It lasted 37 shaves. This last shave was noticeably rougher than the previous one. I shaved every four or five days ... I'm retired and don't mind letting my beard grow a bit.

For each shave I initially lathered with Ivory soap and then after the first pass used either Ivory soap again or sometimes Cremo Original Shave Cream. Most shaves were two passes with touchup after each pass.

Steve - Excalibur, SISSY

This seventh journal installment covers the period 30-OCT-2018 through 19-MAY_2019.

I used a Personna injector blade in a Schick Type L injector. It lasted 32 shaves. The last few shaves were noticeably rougher than usual. I shaved every four or five days ... I'm retired, Thank God!, and don't mind letting my beard grow a bit.

Steve - Excalibur, SISSY

This eighth journal installment covers the period 20-MAY-2019 through 05-MAY-2020. This blade lasted 52 shaves so I am shaving approximately once per week now ... it's great to be retired.

I used a Personna injector blade in a Schick Type L injector, lasting 52 shaves. Next I think I am going to try my old Gillette Trac II razor with swivel head and see how that goes.

For each shave I used Cremo Original Shave Cream on both passes. The last two shaves were with Ivory bar soap. I used up the Cremo and find that I like the Ivory bar soap just as well,if not better, than the Cremo. Most shaves were two passes with touchup after each pass.

Top Bottom