What's new

Stetson Sierra/inexpensive bergamot frags?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Someone recently gave me a tin of Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme soap. It is quite nice. I haven't quite figured out what aftershave or cologne/EDTs pair well with it, so I've been trying a few. Today I remembered that I have a bottle of Sierra somewhere deep in the closet, so I dug it out. It really complemented the soap nicely. Perhaps a bit too piney with a cheap floral note (carnation?) but there's also clearly some bergamot in there. So overall I was pleased...

I just looked online to see what another bottle of Sierra would cost and was shocked to see it going for $80 and up, as it has been discontinued. This was a $7 Walgreen cologne 5 years ago! Are there other inexpensive bergamot frags you might suggest?
Thanks in advance.

Owen Bawn

Apparently 4711 has a strong bergamot opening? Is that true? How about Ferrari Radiant Bergamot cologne? Anyone familiar with that one?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Bergamot is such a frequently found note, hard to say who has the most... But 4711 is wonderful stuff, I've gone through the really big half gallon booze bottle of it.

A weak but wonderful citrusy cologne, add some glycerin and it's a nicely burning aftershave.

AA

Can't help you with any cologne recommendations.

But I sure would like to find a long lasting cologne that smells like PdP. If I ever come across anything. I'll let you know. But it's been a while since I have sniffed PdP. Like 4yrs ago.

It's a real bummer that these older inexpensive drags are being discontinued and the prices that people are asking for them now days.

I've noticed this has happened with a lot of old fougere's that I have. 😥

Just did a search about bergamot and sage cologne.

While I'm unfamiliar with this frag. It may be something to read about and possibly buy blind?

No 1 Bergamot Sage Cognoscenti

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The more I use Pino Sylvestre (hope I spelled that korreckly friends) the less I miss Stetson Sierra.

Oh, I'd love to find some Sierra, because the cologne lasts so long for a "drugstore brand", but if I ration my little bottle to only behind my ears in the winter I'll be fine!

FarmerTan

I recently layered Pino Silvestre and Polo Green in an attempt to tone down the Polo. It did seem a little lighter and a tad sweeter, thanks to the Pino.
My wife will be yelling at YOU for ME having to buy more fragrances my friend! Thank you for taking one for the Tanned Farmer Team!

Owen Bawn

Just did a search about bergamot and sage cologne.

While I'm unfamiliar with this frag. It may be something to read about and possibly buy blind?

No 1 Bergamot Sage Cognoscenti
Thanks- I've never seen it either. I'll read up on it-- not exactly an inexpensive replacement!

Owen Bawn

The more I use Pino Sylvestre (hope I spelled that korreckly friends) the less I miss Stetson Sierra.

Oh, I'd love to find some Sierra, because the cologne lasts so long for a "drugstore brand", but if I ration my little bottle to only behind my ears in the winter I'll be fine!
Is Pino in the same ballpark scent wise? That's the one in the green pine cone bottle?

Owen Bawn

Yes and no. How's that for an answer? Pino Sylvestre seems sweeter to me. Not as long lasting, definitely has some carnation going on to my nose.
I'm seriously considering 4711. Can't believe I've never tried that stuff.

Dunhill Icon has a very nice citrus opening with neroli and Italian bergamot. Some say this is a modern take on 4711. Not super cheap, but reasonable on the discount fragrance sites.

FarmerTan

I've heard folks describe Pino Sylvestre as an "Italian Barbershop scent" and I can see that in it.

Top Bottom