What's new

Sterling Soap Woes (perhaps it's me)—Suggest Alternatives

Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but I felt like I ought to mention...

To my nose, at least, the smells of Tabac and Arko are really nothing alike (I love Tabac and detest Arko smell-wise, though I adore both performance-wise). They're both rather love-it-or-hate-it kinda scents, but not liking one doesn't really mean you won't like the other...I wouldn't be too gunshy, since really any smell could end up as something you hate.

I pulled the trigger on the Tabac, sir; the way I figured it, I favor the old-school, time-tested and traditional brands, so I shouldn't leave any shaving stone unturned. :)

Though I haven't tried it yet (ordered with a BUNCH of other "must-try" soaps, which have moved Tabac down the queue), it is doable.

I quit smoking 10 years ago next month, so the hint of tobacco isn't my thing, but it's subtle enough to overlook it and take it for a test-drive. The scent is not 'Clubman Special Reserve' ashtray and a** smell to me (also sampling splashes...couldn't even wash the smell of that one off!!! lol), so definitely doable.

I will doable back and try a couple of my Sterling samples again, because I shaved with the "Fat" last night and had no issues...clearly lanolin doesn't seem to be the issue (about to go shave with some Haslinger for the first time now). I think you guys nailed it and it's a function of the fragrance/*stuff* that is causing the reaction I had...coupled with the aggressive face lathering for all 3 passes like a rookie (and with a brand new boar brush to boot). :)

I'm going to chalk it up to operator error and try again when there is a lull in trying the new soaps. So many soaps and not enough days to shave. Life is good.

Although a specific, true allergy would be unlikely (although possible), contact dermatitis is quite common with a variety of essential oils and fragrances for many. You may need to dial in the particular ingredient(s) by trial and error for a given soap. Some natural oils are more notorious (tea tree oil for example), and others less common. If a given fragrance causes a problem for you in one product, it's very likely to cause problems in others, so if you find you're sensitive you would be wise to run through ingredient lists carefully. And you can develop sensitivity over time, which is then unlikely to go away.

Last edited:
When you prep and shave with warm water the pores open up and when you splash on cold water the pores close. If you have any soap residue on your skin when you splash on cold water some soap ingredients can get trapped in the skin.

Interesting theory. Not sure I buy it.

So here are my two cents about this. If you're having issues with Sterling and you think that lanolin is the issue, you should try something else that has lanolin that is not made by Sterling. Only then will you be able to determine what your allergy really is.

He has said about five times in this thread that he plans to try Haslinger’s, which contains lanolin, in order to confirm or rule out a lanolin sensitivity.

He has said about five times in this thread that he plans to try Haslinger’s, which contains lanolin, in order to confirm or rule out a lanolin sensitivity.
In his last post he mentioned shaving with "The Fat" MWF and had no problems with the lanolin in it so he has tried something different and also said he was trying Haslinger's next. My thoughts are he is allergic to one of the fragrance oils that Rod uses...

In his last post he mentioned shaving with "The Fat" MWF and had no problems with the lanolin in it so he has tried something different and also said he was trying Haslinger's next. My thoughts are he is allergic to one of the fragrance oils that Rod uses...

I think there is a greater likelihood to have issues with both essential oils and fragrance oils that lanolin, although some folks are sensitive to lanolin.

I have avoided using Stirling Soaps because Rod does not always describe his scents in detail. For example, he may describe a scent a scent as "citrus" without indicating which citrus notes are involved. I have no issue with bergamot and orange, but am sensitive to lime, lemon and grapefruit oils. I also have to be careful with any strong scents. I might be able to use some of his more complex cologne scents like Executive Man or Mountain Man, but I have not tried them. Stirling offsers so many different scents, I guess there has got to be one for everybody.

although some folks are sensitive to lanolin.

I think Lanolin is one of the staple ingredients in many soaps that people have adverse reactions to.
They typically itch from it.
I recently tried Stirling and although it lathered very easily and the lather stuck around well it does not offer the same protection with a straight as many other soaps do.
I bet its a general soap but not the best for straights IMO.

I have avoided using Stirling Soaps because Rod does not always describe his scents in detail. For example, he may describe a scent a scent as "citrus" without indicating which citrus notes are involved. I have no issue with bergamot and orange, but am sensitive to lime, lemon and grapefruit oils.
Rod is one of the best in the business when it comes to customer service and will happily answer most any question by phone or email and sometimes within minutes I've found!!

Rod is one of the best in the business when it comes to customer service and will happily answer most any question by phone or email and sometimes within minutes I've found!!

Rod may have excellent customer service. However, if I have normal questions about the ingredients and scents in a product, I expect those to be addressed openly in the product description. I have emailed manufacturers and vendors to get ask questions of a specialized nature, but not something like scent notes. There are plenty of other choices in soaps.

When I get a new soap, I rub a bit into the soft skin behind my ear. If I am going to react to it I find out in about 10 minutes and the redness is (sort of) hidden.

Think it was Paul H who mentioned this in a video but could be mistaken. Certainly, wasn't my idea.

I think Lanolin is one of the staple ingredients in many soaps that people have adverse reactions to.
They typically itch from it.
I recently tried Stirling and although it lathered very easily and the lather stuck around well it does not offer the same protection with a straight as many other soaps do.
I bet its a general soap but not the best for straights IMO.

If OP is curious enough whether lanolin's the culprit, you can buy pure lanolin cream. It's usually used by nursing mothers, and you can get it at most drug stores (and sites like Amazon, Target, CVS, &c if going to B&M stores isn't your thing at the moment). It would probably be about $10-15, so a little expensive for something you're just getting to use once to see if it irritates you, but if you really want a definitive answer if you're sensitive to lanolin, that's probably the most direct way.

When I get a new soap, I rub a bit into the soft skin behind my ear. If I am going to react to it I find out in about 10 minutes and the redness is (sort of) hidden.

Think it was Paul H who mentioned this in a video but could be mistaken. Certainly, wasn't my idea.

The sensitive skin on the inside of your elbow might also be a place you can test new products. That way, if there is irritation, it will be completely hidden.

I'm getting old, with some mild rosacea. Over the years some soaps have irritated my face and caused me to think I may have a problem with lanolin and certain scents. Rather than test that theory by buying more, I just avoid those soaps and scents. In my 70+ years, I've always been a believer in the KISS principal. There are just too many soaps that perform well to waste my time testing. Having well water and preferring a drier lather, certain Stirling soaps perform very well for me without any irritation, putting (certain) Stirling soaps in my top 3 soap brands.

Take a look at www.shannonssoaps.com She has a great variety of soaps that are both traditional and non traditional scents. I am particularly enthralled with her Barbershop & Grapefruit scents, as well as a couple of samples she's sent me that aren't on her website yet. They're largely tallow-based, and rival ToBS and Stirling for thick, dense and slick lather. As a chemist, she seems better attuned to proportions of compounding materials, so as to not have excess residual caustic content, something I've found with some of the newer Artisan soapmakers who are more business than chemistry oriented.

Take a look at www.shannonssoaps.com She has a great variety of soaps that are both traditional and non traditional scents. I am particularly enthralled with her Barbershop & Grapefruit scents, as well as a couple of samples she's sent me that aren't on her website yet. They're largely tallow-based, and rival ToBS and Stirling for thick, dense and slick lather. As a chemist, she seems better attuned to proportions of compounding materials, so as to not have excess residual caustic content, something I've found with some of the newer Artisan soapmakers who are more business than chemistry oriented.

????? In my experience with artisan soaps, most of them are superfatted, meaning they have residual fats beyond what is required for the saponification reaction. Which soaps have you found that have a residual caustic content and how did you determine they had that issue????

Amateur soapmakers might have an issue with the ratio of caustic to fatty acids, but the artisans who make soaps for a living certainly will not.

I had a problem with Stirling Executive man. I had the soap and the balm and though I didn't have an initial reaction when shaving, I would develop itching and redness on my neck several hours later. Thoroughly rinsing the soap residue off with a washcloth after shaving helped but I ended up giving it away. I have just ordered several Stirling soap samples to test out. The soap performs well and the price is great so I would like to be able to use it. I had the same issue with three PAA soaps that I had and I ended up giving them away as well.

Top Bottom