What's new

Sterling Silver Set

I am Curious Has Anyone Seen This set before, is it some kind of Tiffany set?

Her Is a STERLING SILVER safety razor by Gillette in the original STERLING Case. I have never seen a sterling set like it. This is a real beauty. The box is marked sterling , so is the blade case, and so is the bottom of the collapsible handle. A nice striped design top of the box with monogrammed initials V.M. Case measures 2 inch by 2 inch. Serial number 272285B

That case won't have Tiffany on it anywhere. I have one like it. It's a very nice piece, and worth what he was asking, but different from the Tiffany set.
proxy.php

@Amishmotorboat
What do you mean it is worth what he is asking? Who is Asking, and what would be a good price for a set like this? Also is it all sterling silver Edition ? or just SIlver Plated? I would Imagine if its coming from a place like Tiffany's it is all sterling silver, Im i RIght ?

@Amishmotorboat
What do you mean it is worth what he is asking? Who is Asking, and what would be a good price for a set like this? Also is it all sterling silver Edition ? or just SIlver Plated? I would Imagine if its coming from a place like Tiffany's it is all sterling silver, Im i RIght ?

I mean, the seller, who started his auction off at $150. I recognized the razor from my watchlist. It was definitely worth at least that much. Just how much more appears to have been determined by the flurry of bids it received in the final hour.
As to it being solid sterling, all I can say is that the case definitely is not. That one, like mine, has a brassy hue on the inside - as opposed to the Tifffany sets which are silvery throughout. The Tiffany sets also say Tiffany & Co. on them after the Sterling stamp.
Note that I am not making any claim about the Tiffany case being solid sterling. I do not know if that's true or not. Just that the inside is silvery in color - while the inside of that other case is definitely not sterling.

Ok got it now, yes it was from Ebay, would you know more or less how to tell what year it was mad in? by the serial number on the case ?

The serial number would indicate that it was made in 1922, and that coincides with the second year that the New Improved head style was around.

@Amishmotorboat, Thanks For looking that up for me, Is there some kind of pricing book i can look up, So i make sure i dont over pay for these, Seems DE Shavers Are Picking up Big time Especially Vintage ones, and that makes the price go up and up an up :eek:/

You could get a copy of Krumholt's Gillette handbook, but that puts toggle prices at around $8. :lol:

There really isn't any resource other than shaving forums and eBay completed listings - and even with that wealth of information at our fingertips, prices fluctuate wildly. I picked up a clearly labeled Eclipse red ring in an eBay auction for $17.79 shipped one year ago. Today, someone offered a BIN of $48, with international shipping not included, and was accused of trying to cheat the seller.

Ok ill see if i can find a copy, Yes i dont think that book would help put much in prices, like you said, These things are like the Stock Market, Up and Down, I guess it depends how much you really need that piece for your collection, that determines the price of the item :eek:/

Top Bottom