What's new

Step-by-step Ever-Ready brush restoration

I am posting a step-by-step pictorial brush restoration.

1.) cut the bristles down
2.) drill out old bristles
3.) file scratches (I use my wife's fingernail file.)
4.) polish with Flitz
5.) set new knot in marine epoxy mix (photo forthcoming)

very timely advice; however, I have the first steps down, already done with one old brush, just needing the info on gluing the knot into a hollow handle :confused:

2 questions..

1) it appears that the old ever-ready I started working on is a 23 mm. Any ideas if it would be better to open it up a little more to take a 24 mm knot or should I assume a 22mm with 1mm epoxy filler?

2) While cleaning out the old knot, I guess I got over aggressive (or it was already cracked) but I broke off a chunk of the plastic/rubber bottom that the knot rests. With the brush being hollow, will it be the ruination of any knot I now put in this handle when there is nothing for the knot to rest on?

I have a couple of question as well regarding the knots from the sites you have listed. I am thinking of buying a buffalo horn handle and then get the knot and make it myself.

Now my question is that are these knots just as good as say Shavemac or other makers? and the second question is how to determine which knot size to use?

Thanks for the great tutorial :)

While cleaning out the old knot, I guess I got over aggressive (or it was already cracked) but I broke off a chunk of the plastic/rubber bottom that the knot rests. With the brush being hollow, will it be the ruination of any knot I now put in this handle when there is nothing for the knot to rest on?

I think I have found a solution, I am going to take a thin metal disk and epoxy it across the bottom first to give the knot something to rest on. This might make the knot not sit as deep, but should give a solid base. Any thoughts on this solution?

I think I have found a solution, I am going to take a thin metal disk and epoxy it across the bottom first to give the knot something to rest on. This might make the knot not sit as deep, but should give a solid base. Any thoughts on this solution?

lemme know how it works, I've done this to two brushes now, need to figure out a solution myself

Or just fill it with clear epoxy up to the level you want... oh darn I just gave away a secret :lol:

A word of warning: Most/Some Ever-ready brushes that I've seen are hollow. Be CAREFUL. So far the rubbersets are solid and my fuller was solid as well.

I think I've found a solution to redo the lettering but I'm still in the testing phases.

Top Bottom