What's new

Step-by-step Ever-Ready brush restoration

For you guys using Mother's Plastic polish, are you just rubbing it on and polishing it off with a rag?? I feel like im leaving too much on the handle and it comes off when im letting the brush soak, care to share some technique???

This thread makes for good reading. A must read for anyone planning to restore a brush/brushes. Thank you all for the help.
Vic

For you guys using Mother's Plastic polish, are you just rubbing it on and polishing it off with a rag?? I feel like im leaving too much on the handle and it comes off when im letting the brush soak, care to share some technique???
Not quite sure I understand your question. I apply the plastic polish to the handles with a soft cotton cloth, rub vigorously, and polish with a microfiber towel. Repeat as necessary. When I soak a brush, there's nothing on the handle to come off.

Not quite sure I understand your question. I apply the plastic polish to the handles with a soft cotton cloth, rub vigorously, and polish with a microfiber towel. Repeat as necessary. When I soak a brush, there's nothing on the handle to come off.

Okay that's what i was doing, perhaps there was something else on the brush handle before i let it soak. Very very thank you.

Ok fellas. I just bought an old Ever Ready 100T that looks justs like the one my daddy used when I was a little boy back in the early 60s). Black and White handle. Based on your suggestions, I plan to try to restore this brush as soon as I get it (from ebay). I'm nervous about it and worried that I'm gonna screw it all up. But I do have a woodworking shop and tools, so wish me luck. All I need is to find the polish and some inside calipers I think. And I need to buy the a new knot. Thats what worries me most as I'm not clear on what size or type I should buy.

First clean out the old knot and then measure. I am by far not the most accurate of the people that do brush refinishing. To me it is more about fun,nostalgia and the fact I can make an expensive brush for less.I do everything with a drill a sanding bit and a vice. I do not have a wood shop so I usually just use a metric ruler and measure by eye . Usually I do ok. I am sure there are others that can give you a more accurate way of doing your measuring. Either way have fun and show some pictures when you can!!!

Great thread!

I know this is about restoring, and re-using the original handle, but has anyone made their own new handles to go with the new Badger Knots?

Will

Is this the same polish I need? I can find this locally but it doesn't say plastics on the front like the original post.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/...35&kw=flitz&origkw=flitz&searchId=60749374453

Justin, this is the stuff I use and have had good luck with it. You can find it in most auto parts stores, Walmart, KMart, etc. http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Plas...3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1332349379&sr=1-13

The Flitz polish is primarily for metal polishing...might work OK on plastic but I'd rather stick with a product designed for polishing plastic.

Gents, the Flitz in the black bottle is the only polish that really does a good safe job on polishing both metals and plastics. On razors where there is composite materials (metals and plastics) it is excellent.

Another great series of products is by Novus.

http://www.amazon.com/Novus-Polish-...49865820&sr=8-1&keywords=novus+plastic+polish

Check it out.

proxy.php

I've got this no.12 Ever-Ready shaving brush, removed the old knot and now on the inner side of the handle there is something looking like gypsum left. Should I remove it (scratch it away) before I put a new knot in it ? With the material left, the inside diameter is 19mm. I think it'll be about 20mm if I remove this "gypsum".
And gentlemen, can you tell me where to buy a good quality boar knot ?

Last edited:
Everyone,

I got an old ever-ready brush with an "Old Spice" shaving mug. It is an ever-ready 200T (whatever that means). I would like to restore it, and this thread has been fabulous to try and figure out how to do it. The brush itself looks to be in really good condition. There isn't any cracking or marks on it that I can tell at all. I will hopefully get to work on it over the next week or so and then can get a new knot.

I am considering drilling the hole larger, to get a bigger knot in it, since the hole seems to be fairly small on this one.

$IMG_20130520_191039[1].jpg

$IMG_20130520_191058[1].jpg

I will post some post-resto pictures when finished.

Thanks for looking.

Asking this question in a DIY forum is like begging to be flamed, but here goes: I have a Wedgwood boar brush with a ceramic Wedgwood handle that matches my scuttle. When the knot needs to be replaced, I am hesitant to try it myself since 1) I am not particularly handy, 2) I live in a condo and don't have any kind of work area and 3) I am afraid of cracking or breaking the ceramic handle. So, are there any vendors who restore brushes that you all can recommend?

Top Bottom