What's new

Steinhart Vintage GMT in 39mm

I've not seen many of Steinhart's offerings...but they have some really great looking pieces at pretty respectable prices. I'm sure you'll enjoy your new watch. Looking forward to images in Watch Ya Wearing!
According to DHL, it's been delivered already! I had rescheduled for Monday, when I would be home and could sign for it -- and I wanted signature required. They told me that it was already in that status. But now the automated email tells me it's been delivered, and no one was home to sign for it!

I've asked Linda to run over and move it indoors.

ETA: It's inside and safe. I guess I won't be able to actually put the watch on yet, since I can't size the bracelet or remove it until I get a new spring bar tool. At least I can set and wind it! I'll see if I can take a couple of pics.

Last edited:
Update, all,

I've unboxed the watch, and it is as attractive as it looks in pictures. It is also a heavy sonofagun, heavier somehow than my Sub. Putting it on a strap might well be a good idea. The more brightly colored strap (the "Major" or the "Captain") of the two above does indeed look good next to it. So does the more muted vintage Bond strap, though.

I have to unwrap all the plastic on it and get it wound and set. Then I'll take some pics.

Here are some pics:

Steinhart_GMT_01.jpg Steinhart_GMT_03.jpg

They looked a lot sharper in the view on my phone. Anyway, the one on the left is with the more colorful "Captain" strap; he other is the "Vintage Bond" strap. Which do you think looks best?

There was no issue at all with winding or setting the watch or adjusting the date, which I did before the recommended deadline of 8 pm. I left the GMT hand where it was, corresponding to the current time, until this morning, when I set it 6+ for UTC. The watch kept good time last night, considering it was on my nightstand. The lume was great -- still visible when I woke up this morning, and that was with only half an hour's exposure to lamplight before I hit the sack.

Things I like: the size and heft of it, the lume

What I'm not so sure about: I could wish for larger markers and hands; they seem kind of "shrunken" next to my 5513 Sub. But then I've had that one for 22 years. Once I put this one on the strap, it will no longer look anything like the Sub, and I'll be able to judge it a bit more fairly.

Good thing about nato straps, you can change them daily and they are cheap. I like the Bond on this particular watch, but again, nato's are cheap. My go to is cheapestnatostraps.com and they have them for $5 each and they are excellent value for the price. They have nice leather straps too. I say load up on straps and you have a new look daily if desired.

As for comparing the Steinhart to a Sub, just get that out of your mind right away or you will be disappointed! Nice to have variety in watches.

Congrats!

Good thing about nato straps, you can change them daily and they are cheap. I like the Bond on this particular watch, but again, nato's are cheap. My go to is cheapestnatostraps.com and they have them for $5 each and they are excellent value for the price. They have nice leather straps too. I say load up on straps and you have a new look daily if desired.

As for comparing the Steinhart to a Sub, just get that out of your mind right away or you will be disappointed! Nice to have variety in watches.

Congrats!
Their leather straps -- how thick are they? I definitely want something that will conform to my wrist pretty quickly, and on which the end of the strap can tuck into the last metal keeper for a neat appearance.

I guess that right now it's merely that the Steinhart is on a similar bracelet to the Sub. If I'd wanted to spend the extra $ for the Jubilee bracelet, that would have made the GMT look quite different -- and putting it on a strap will change the look completely. Once it has become its own entity, so to speak, and once I can actually wear it, I won't be tempted to compare them.

I missed at first that the straps weren't already installed. :)

Personally, I like the "Captain" over the bond here. But I'm no fashion expert at all. I may just feel the Bond is a bit over-done, and find the Captain more unique. You can't really go wrong, though.

Their leather straps -- how thick are they? I definitely want something that will conform to my wrist pretty quickly, and on which the end of the strap can tuck into the last metal keeper for a neat appearance.

I guess that right now it's merely that the Steinhart is on a similar bracelet to the Sub. If I'd wanted to spend the extra $ for the Jubilee bracelet, that would have made the GMT look quite different -- and putting it on a strap will change the look completely. Once it has become its own entity, so to speak, and once I can actually wear it, I won't be tempted to compare them.
They have many different leather straps, so I can't say how thick each are specifically. I have a Bronco leather strap I put on my Speedmaster and it feels great (see below) and another Premium Classic black/orange I can put on either (on CW below). The Bronco is thicker, more padded. Not much breaking in either. I have two more leather on order, but have been stuck with USPS somewhere, so I like them enough to order multiples. Again, they are relatively inexpensive.

IMG_6779 2.jpeg
IMG_6894.jpeg

I missed at first that the straps weren't already installed. :)

Personally, I like the "Captain" over the bond here. But I'm no fashion expert at all. I may just feel the Bond is a bit over-done, and find the Captain more unique. You can't really go wrong, though.
Right; it'll be just a moment's work to change them, once I get the bracelet off and have the springbars back in place.

I see the cheapestnatostraps.com have a nice black NATO with a thin red-and-white stripe down the center. That might work very well.

Oh, and Hedley, your Speedmaster and C. Ward are both dynamite-looking watches. I've always meant to get a Speedmaster, and never got down to it.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yesterday I made the mistake of clicking on the ad for a certain watch sales company atop this forum. Mistake, I say, because it led me along some warren tunnels to a watch I want, the Steinhart Ocean 39 Vintage Premium GMT:
Reasonably priced compared to even pre-owned Rolexes these days; I don't have a GMT watch and have always wanted one; I love the domed crystal; apparently it has good lume at night; and the size is perfect for my wrist. I've gone so far as to order two NATO straps that I can use on my Rolex Sub as well as this one, but haven't pulled the trigger on the Steinhart yet. Anybody have one of these, or one of its stablemates?

It's been a tough year for all of us and 2021 looks little better. Perhaps a nice Christmas present to myself is in order.
I looked them up. VERY sharp looking watch!

They looked a lot sharper in the view on my phone. Anyway, the one on the left is with the more colorful "Captain" strap; he other is the "Vintage Bond" strap. Which do you think looks best?

If you are going to go with a NATO, maybe try this one: Red & Sand NATO - 20mm | Crown & Buckle - https://www.crownandbuckle.com/red-sand-nato-20mm.html

I think you should try some two-piece leather straps. Tan/brown would look great; blue or red to bring out the bezel would be nice, too. Maybe something like this brown one that has a hint of red stitching. Fluco Leather Watch Strap Hunter Brown Red Stitch - https://holbensfinewatchbands.com/collections/leather/products/fluco-leather-watch-strap-hunter-brown-red-stitch

Stopped by the jeweler yesterday, and he took off the bracelet (and gave me a couple of spare springbars). When I put the strap on, I used the down-under method -- check it on YooToob -- so that the short strap is under my wrist, not under the watch, and you don't have that odd roll visible at 12:00.

The jeweler guy, who has serviced my Rolexes for years, assumed at first glance that the Steinhart was an early Rolex Pepsi GMT, until he looked closely at it. I didn't buy this watch to fool anybody, but that's intriguing, that even an expert would think that.

I very much like the idea of a black 2-piece band, though. Perhaps a ventilated rubber "tropic" strap or a black leather. For now I've switched to the Vintage Bond strap. Pics coming later.

Stopped by the jeweler yesterday, and he took off the bracelet (and gave me a couple of spare springbars). When I put the strap on, I used the down-under method -- check it on YooToob -- so that the short strap is under my wrist, not under the watch, and you don't have that odd roll visible at 12:00.

The jeweler guy, who has serviced my Rolexes for years, assumed at first glance that the Steinhart was an early Rolex Pepsi GMT, until he looked closely at it. I didn't buy this watch to fool anybody, but that's intriguing, that even an expert would think that.

I very much like the idea of a black 2-piece band, though. Perhaps a ventilated rubber "tropic" strap or a black leather. For now I've switched to the Vintage Bond strap. Pics coming later.
You might enjoy that watch a Bonetto Cinturini natural rubber strap. I find those straps have a little more heft to counterbalance against the watch case while still being supple.

Another option is a Fluorine Rubber strap like found online. I just received a couple from Juelong and my initial impression is that they will work on a dive watch but are not as hefty as the Italian rubber straps.

If you are going to go with a NATO, maybe try this one: Red & Sand NATO - 20mm | Crown & Buckle - https://www.crownandbuckle.com/red-sand-nato-20mm.html

I think you should try some two-piece leather straps. Tan/brown would look great; blue or red to bring out the bezel would be nice, too. Maybe something like this brown one that has a hint of red stitching. Fluco Leather Watch Strap Hunter Brown Red Stitch - https://holbensfinewatchbands.com/collections/leather/products/fluco-leather-watch-strap-hunter-brown-red-stitch
That Holben's site has great stuff and great prices. Yesterday I bought a black "braided" style Hadley Roma strap for my Atlantic automatic, which is steel but has a wide gold Art Deco-ish sunburst dial that makes you think it's a gold watch. Fantastic look. A brown one would go well on my vintage Bulova hand wind, or my Titoni.

The ColaReb company has a "Racing Brown" 2-piece strap that might go well on the GMT, too.

The GMT has great lume. I hit it with a few minutes' beam from my LED pocket flashlight before I go to bed, and the dial and hand are still readable in my dark bedroom 6 hours later. I think this one will be my overnight watch, and I'll still switch off the Sub and Date Rolexes during the day.

Update after 3 weeks,

The Steinhart works away happily, but it is gaining about 15 sec. a day even though I leave it crown up during the day, and wear it in the evening and overnight. Looks like it needs to be regulated. My regular watch repair guy, who has done my Rolexes, should be able to handle it. Otherwise, it looks great on the NATO strap.

Update after 3 weeks,

The Steinhart works away happily, but it is gaining about 15 sec. a day even though I leave it crown up during the day, and wear it in the evening and overnight. Looks like it needs to be regulated. My regular watch repair guy, who has done my Rolexes, should be able to handle it. Otherwise, it looks great on the NATO strap.
It might settle down, I got lucky with my Deep Blue being abou+7 buy my Vostok was +30 for a couple months and is now about +20 lol. Haven't opened it up yet to regulate. Or take it in if it bugs you. The Vostoks are a pain to set compared to the swiss movement.

I will take the contra.

I am not cracking the back open of any auto watch for 15 seconds a day while it is still in warranty unless it is going back to the warranty provider. I would not send a watch back to the warranty provider for 15 seconds a day.

It gets lost, it gets damaged, it does not get fixed right, it lets in water when it did not before. I am late for nothing re 15 seconds a day.

As I have posted before, I simply do not get the "accuracy" fascination in an automatic watch when virtually any quartz is far more accurate, particularly day in day out on sub 1000.00 automatics and sub 300.00 quartzes. Accuracy, IMHO , is not why you buy ANY automatic watch.

Even when we go to "certified " watches, the expectations/capabilities between a quartz watch and and automatic is astounding

COSC-Auto = -4/+6 per day=2.4 -3 minutes a month, approx. 28-36 minutes a year
COSC-Quartz= .-07/+.07 per day= 2 ish seconds a month, approx 25 ish seconds a year

Top Bottom