What's new

Steinhart Vintage GMT in 39mm

I will take the contra.

I am not cracking the back open of any auto watch for 15 seconds a day while it is still in warranty unless it is going back to the warranty provider. I would not send a watch back to the warranty provider for 15 seconds a day.

It gets lost, it gets damaged, it does not get fixed right, it lets in water when it did not before. I am late for nothing re 15 seconds a day.

As I have posted before, I simply do not get the "accuracy" fascination in an automatic watch when virtually any quartz is far more accurate, particularly day in day out on sub 1000.00 automatics and sub 300.00 quartzes. Accuracy, IMHO , is not why you buy ANY automatic watch.

Even when we go to "certified " watches, the expectations/capabilities between a quartz watch and and automatic is astounding

COSC-Auto = -4/+6 per day=2.4 -3 minutes a month, approx. 28-36 minutes a year
COSC-Quartz= .-07/+.07 per day= 2 ish seconds a month, approx 25 ish seconds a year
No, I wouldn't go to the trouble of sending a watch back (especially to Singapore or Germany!) for that, not when I have a shop who can regulate it right here. But +15 sec./day is, as Multum said above, about twice what it should be -- off by 100%. Wouldn't you worry about a car that is supposed to get 30 mpg on the highway, but only gets 15?

The "accuracy" fascination with automatic watches is precisely because they are NOT quartzes. It's utterly amazing to me that the automatics can keep this kind of time without the quartz technology. If an automatic is capable of 7-8 sec./day, I want it to approach that.

As Benzadmiral said, also you do this once until the first service of the movement which can take 5-10 years.

If I wear an automatic watch over a longer period of time I regulate it usually by turning it back 3-4 minutes every month. The whole thing with putting it down crown up/down left/right/center isn’t for me. As far as accuracy goes one of my favorite watches is a Panerai 372, no seconds hand no minute track only 5 minutes indices and plenty accurate for me.

Update, all,

Took the Steinhart to my jeweler and got it back a couple of weeks ago. It is now running about +3 sec. a day!

The GMT has proved to be a solid watch. I do wish the markers and hands were a little brighter or whiter in daylight. But if I train my LED flashlight on it for about a minute before I go to sleep, I can still read the time in my darkened bedroom 6 hours later; which is terrific. As the weather unfortunately becomes warmer and stickier, I will wear it more in the daytime and see how my wrist reacts to the nylon NATO band.

I was very tempted by that one -- but I thought its 42mm size would dwarf my wrist. It does have a domed crystal, however. If they ever come out with a 39- or 40mm model, I'm all for it.
Luckily I can wear 36mm - 47mm without big problems. It's great that you got yours to +3secs without any trouble.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
They sell a similar one , not the 0072 , it's around 800$. Used about 500ish. They have a lot of models. Ashford,gnomon, and whachuseek are good places to look, as well as whach recon.

They did have them as Rudy said for $379, but sold out now.

Top Bottom