What's new

Steiger: The Swiss Ebor?

Hermann Zaiss made a variety of colourful plastic (bakelite?) double edged safety razors. They were apparently sold in Germany and Italy, likely in the 1950's, and under a variety of names: Neo-Ra, Neo-Ras, Neo-Lux, and Neo-Gam. These razors stand out from the pack given their often two-toned colours and pronounced 45 degree angle slant. They're "hard to miss", and there's lots of photos of them around. Reviews vary, some swear by them, others find the angle a bit challenging. Zaiss also made a similar razor, called the Ebor, but that differed from the rest of his product in that the Ebor could be configured as either a slant or just the regular way. (Or, perhaps the Ebor just came "regular"..I'm not entirely sure.) The Ebor seems to have built up a bit of a cult following and is reputed as a great shaver. It's highly sought after. Anyway, this is a long way of saying that I think another razor, the Steiger, made in Switzerland, shown below, appears like a dead ringer, by my eye, for the elusive Ebor. However, I'm not sure there's many of these around either, should one seek a Steiger because the Ebor is too hard to find! I haven't tried it yet so cannot comment on its effectiveness.

Attachments

• Steiger (Like Ebor) Safety Razor, Switzerland 1.JPG
    Steiger (Like Ebor) Safety Razor, Switzerland 1.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • Steiger (Like Ebor) Safety Razor, Switzerland 2.JPG
    Steiger (Like Ebor) Safety Razor, Switzerland 2.JPG
    952.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Steiger (Like Ebor) Safety Razor, Switzerland 3.JPG
    Steiger (Like Ebor) Safety Razor, Switzerland 3.JPG
    670.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Steiger (Like Ebor) Safety Razor, Switzerland 4.JPG
    Steiger (Like Ebor) Safety Razor, Switzerland 4.JPG
    800.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Steiger (Like Ebor) Safety Razor, Switzerland 5.JPG
    Steiger (Like Ebor) Safety Razor, Switzerland 5.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 30
  • Steiger (Like Ebor) Safety Razor, Switzerland 6.JPG
    Steiger (Like Ebor) Safety Razor, Switzerland 6.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 30

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Interesting razor. I like looking at plastic/Bakelite safety razors. I find them quite interesting.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Cool, haven't seen that before.

I've got a couple "pass through" instead of lather slot razors.

Interested in hearing how it shaves for you.

Zaiss also made a regular shortscrew razor. Used the exact same haed as the slants or the Ebor, but the center post was threaded.
The Ebor is extremely rare, I've seen one come up in 7 years time (can have missed one or more obviously). There's also some French manufacturers used the Zaiss head, one even put it on a razor where the slantiness is stepless adjustable.
I've no idea if the razormakers that used a head similar to the Zaiss-head, of which Steiger is one, worked with Zaiss, or who held the patents for the shape of the baseplate.
Apart from the plastic razor Zaiss also made a brass one that is a three-way adjustable slant. Not often seen, but what Steiger is ...
DSC09167.JPG
DSC04521.JPG
DSC04526.JPG

Zaiss also made a regular shortscrew razor. Used the exact same haed as the slants or the Ebor, but the center post was threaded.
The Ebor is extremely rare, I've seen one come up in 7 years time (can have missed one or more obviously). There's also some French manufacturers used the Zaiss head, one even put it on a razor where the slantiness is stepless adjustable.
I've no idea if the razormakers that used a head similar to the Zaiss-head, of which Steiger is one, worked with Zaiss, or who held the patents for the shape of the baseplate.
Apart from the plastic razor Zaiss also made a brass one that is a three-way adjustable slant. Not often seen, but what Steiger is ...

Thanks for the further information efsk, I was hoping you'd be along. I'd previously read your posts about the "Steiger Pilot". Is that the metal one you've shown above, or is that a different one again? On a different note, I think that there's another Ebor type razor available, from Sweden, called a Sesam. Maybe someone will be kind enough to post one of those, if they happen to have one available.

Cool, haven't seen that before.

I've got a couple "pass through" instead of lather slot razors.

Interested in hearing how it shaves for you.
Hello Nemo. I finally had a chance to try the Steiger. I didn't shave over the holidays and had quite a growth. This gives the skin a chance to heal I always felt. Anyway, great shave with the Steiger. Exceptional really. Smooth and close and cut free. I'll have to wait to see if there's any irritation but I don't usually have that. The razor did clog up a bit, not surprising given the growth I suppose. Easily fixed, just give it a rinse..I can't compare it to the Ebor, not having one of those, but don't feel the need to track one down either, at this point. All in all, a great little, light razor! I wish the handle was solid, just for the better look, in my opinion, and the slightly heavier feel.

Basically, what we're talking about here is razors that have a type of Zaiss-head. That is not the same as variations on the Ebor: the Ebor is one of those variations, more exact one of the few with a regular head. It has however a similar headclampingmechanism as the Neo-Ras/Neo-Gam/Neo-Lux.
There exists a modell made by Zaiss that looks just like the black Steiger shown above. Difference is, the head can be clamped like the Neo-Ras/Gam/Lux, but contrary to those has a threaded post so it can be screwed to a handle. This head can be clamped as well.
The Sesam is a Swedish variation of the Neo-Ras, meaning an extreme slant with a head in a 45° angle.

Basically, what we're talking about here is razors that have a type of Zaiss-head. That is not the same as variations on the Ebor: the Ebor is one of those variations, more exact one of the few with a regular head. It has however a similar headclampingmechanism as the Neo-Ras/Neo-Gam/Neo-Lux.
There exists a modell made by Zaiss that looks just like the black Steiger shown above. Difference is, the head can be clamped like the Neo-Ras/Gam/Lux, but contrary to those has a threaded post so it can be screwed to a handle. This head can be clamped as well.
The Sesam is a Swedish variation of the Neo-Ras, meaning an extreme slant with a head in a 45° angle.
Thanks efsk. I think I understand. The Ebor has a head like the rest of the Neo Ras family, and a clamping down mechanism like the rest of the Neo Ras family, but the head is not slanted, it's regular. Also, there's another Zaiss razor that screws to the cap like most razors, has the usual Zaiss head, and is not slanted, it's regular. Having said all that, which I hope is correct, obviously some photos would help...

Top Bottom