What's new

Steer-Dovan Passaround

I received the strop just now and took it out of the box. First thing I can say is it is really well made. Love the weight and feel of the leather. Can't wait to use it.

Today I got to shave with my kikuboshi. I tried the strop and have to say its not as fast and slick I guess I would call it than my red imp and bog latigo strop. My red imp and latigo feel like the blade is sliding across ice. This strop feels to have more drag? I really like this strop and even after using it once I want one. And once I'm back on my feet I will be getting one.

I'm wondering if the stop has changed over time, or whether what we're hearing is variation in everyone's individual definition of fast/slow or light/heavy... Can't believe it went from "light" to "slow" in shipping between two users...

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
probably fast or slow compared to what we have or are use to
I have 2 1 like glass the other fairly slow so this was in the middle

I'm wondering if the stop has changed over time, or whether what we're hearing is variation in everyone's individual definition of fast/slow or light/heavy... Can't believe it went from "light" to "slow" in shipping between two users...

What one user perceives as a fast draw others may consider slow, over the years I have stropped on all sorts of leather from shell to Kangaroo and pretty much everything in between and I know from over the years I like a fast almost glassy draw or lack of and resistance so my preference is shells or highly brushed bridle leathers, I do have one strop that I got from Torolf of Scrupleworks it’s a oil tanned HH and it has one I would call a muddy draw but then I thought Kangaroo was also a heavy draw as well and others think it’s not, my point being is not all users with report back with the same draw or lack there of.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…

Hard to say but he felt his latigo had less draw. Most latigo I have run across lately has had a heavy draw but saw some of the stuff Tandy was selling currently and it had a very hard surface. I kind of imagine a razor just skating along that with little draw.

If anyone really needs to know one option is for it to come back here before it is given away and I can compare it to a new piece off of the same hide and if the same draw then it definitely comes down to each persons interpretation of draw. Now I do feel draw can change over time but not quickly.

Hard to say but he felt his latigo had less draw. Most latigo I have run across lately has had a heavy draw but saw some of the stuff Tandy was selling currently and it had a very hard surface. I kind of imagine a razor just skating along that with little draw.

If anyone really needs to know one option is for it to come back here before it is given away and I can compare it to a new piece off of the same hide and if the same draw then it definitely comes down to each persons interpretation of draw. Now I do feel draw can change over time but not quickly.

My latigo has really no resistance. The brand is black ops grooming. I don't think it is top quality latigo. The other strop I have is the red imp and it reflects light it is very shinny. Both of those strops seem like there is 0 resistance when stripping on them. Your strop has resistance or drag. I've only been wet shaving about two months and really only have experience with the two strops. Now my assessment of the drag on your strop isn't based on a lot of experience or a lot of different strops. So everyone should take my assessment with a grain of salt.

I have an extra strip of the latigo. Tony would it be ok to send you that strap of latigo so you can tell me if it is what latigo should be like. Basically if you would be willing to try it out and give me your assessment on the quality of the latigo leather.

I did run a few more straights on the strop and noticed that I don't have to run as many laps to get the razor to the condition as my other two strops. When I posted the red imp I got from my girl everyone said it would be one of the best strops I could get. I do agree with that assessment but will stress it's one of the best. I honestly feel this strop from Tony is the best I have touched. I am really looking forward to getting my medical issues fixed so I can get one of these strops for myself. When you pull the plastic off the strop and see it you can see the passion that you put into your strops Tony. I see hand made strops on Etsy all the time and you can tell the person is just making them for money. They really are not passionate about making them. I showed my mother and father and my girl the strop and they all agree that it is nicely made and that you put yourself into the strop.

I want to thank you again Tony for doing this pass around. It is not just functional but also beautiful. I know when I finally get one it will last and allow me to pass it on when I am old and not able to wet shave anymore.

I'm not sure who is next on the list but can the next person send me your address. I will be shipping it off either Friday or Monday.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Suhrim, Thank you for the kind words about my work.

Every tannery does their Latigo differently. Horween does different version some quite different than what most would call latigo. Wicket & Craig does one quite different in feel as well so now days it is hard to generalize as to what each generic type of leather will feel like. I see veg tanned horsehide with different finishes and therefore different draw qualities. I am sure that even my idea of light draw vs. heavy draw may be different than someone else and is only based on leather that has passed through my hands vs. what has passed through theirs. Much like what is "shave ready".....what is shave ready for me may not be shave ready for others.

1. NPV - Done
  2. paintflinger - Done
  3. Luecke2326 - Done
  4. Clay S - Done
  5. mrlandpirate - Done
  6. joamo - Done
  7. RumpleBearskin - Done
  8. Suhrim21 - Done (or nearly done)
  9. Dzaw
  10. Joshua223
  11. Tony Miller or PIF (Or Tony and then PIF)?
Looks like you're up @Dzaw...

1. NPV - Done
  2. paintflinger - Done
  3. Luecke2326 - Done
  4. Clay S - Done
  5. mrlandpirate - Done
  6. joamo - Done
  7. RumpleBearskin - Done
  8. Suhrim21 - Done (or nearly done)
  9. Dzaw
  10. Joshua223
  11. Tony Miller or PIF (Or Tony and then PIF)?
Looks like you're up @Dzaw...
Quite excited. My current strop seems to be serving me pretty well, but it’s draw is kinda “muddy” by which I mean it isn’t consistent across its length. There are areas with more resistance and less, mixed in, so you feel the razor glide then bog, then glide, then bog. It’s subtle, but annoying.

I am hoping that this will give me some perspective on a better piece of leather, more suited to this purpose, so I will have an idea what to order for an upgrade.

Quite excited. My current strop seems to be serving me pretty well, but it’s draw is kinda “muddy” by which I mean it isn’t consistent across its length. There are areas with more resistance and less, mixed in, so you feel the razor glide then bog, then glide, then bog. It’s subtle, but annoying.

I am hoping that this will give me some perspective on a better piece of leather, more suited to this purpose, so I will have an idea what to order for an upgrade.

Just sent you a message. Need your address so I can send the strop off Monday.

I do have to say I absolutely love this strop and can't wait until I can purchase one myself. @Tony Miller I will be buying one from you once I get these medical problems fixed and get back working. Can't wait to be able to buy one from you.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
@Tony Miller can the back side of the strop be used as a first step for stropping. I guess like instead of linnen or coton or nylon

It can be but does not have the same characteristics of cloth so may not achieve the same result. It will however have more draw than the front in most cases so will help align the edge for sure.

Top Bottom