What's new

Steer-Dovan Passaround

Well, my week with the stop is coming to a close. PM me your shipping info @Suhrim21 and I'll get the stop shipped off to you within a day or two.
  1. NPV - Done
  2. paintflinger - Done
  3. Luecke2326 - Done
  4. Clay S - Done
  5. mrlandpirate - Done
  6. joamo - Done
  7. RumpleBearskin - Done
  8. Suhrim21
  9. Dzaw
  10. Joshua223
  11. Tony Miller or PIF (Or Tony and then PIF)?
So, my relatively inexperienced impressions ...

This stop is impeccably made. I really enjoyed the look and feel and am confident saying that it would hold up to years of daily use. I personally like the D-Ring handles over more traditional handles. I went through my full 7-day rotation; full hollow to near wedge to frameback, in carbon and stainless, Sheffield, Swedish, and Solingen steels.

I didn't try "warming" the strop because I shave in the mornings and don't want to take the time to fondle my strop each morning. All my use was direct from hanging on the wall to full-on stropping.

Each razor got 30 laps on the strop and then a shave, followed by 15 laps on linen, and then 30 more on the SteerDovan. This weekend I took them all to the strop a second time though I haven't gotten to shave a second time with all of them yet.

The strop seems quite fast to me with a very light draw. I tend to be a "heavy" stropper, and apply a fair amount of pressure through the stroke. The audible feedback is excellent, you can really hear the edge making appropriate contact. And you can hear the sound change as the edge tunes up. But the tactile feedback is minimal for me due to the light draw. Full hollows and near wedges felt the same, though they sounded completely different when stropping.

The resulting edges were both keen and smooth for all razors in my weekly rotation. I'm tempted to say they felt better than what comes off of my WCS Latigo, but that's probably being overly subjective. (But they really did feel better.) Overall I found the stop to be both efficient and a pleasure to use.

I did notice that there's occasionally a dry, waxy buildup at the ends of the strop. It wipes off easily with the palm of your hand, but I don't know if it's because of my heavier stropping, the treatment or finish of the leather, or what. Wasn't a problem, just an observation.

So with that, I'll mark my turn as complete and await shipping info from Suhrim21. Many thanks to all for letting me play. And a special thanks to @Tony Miller for letting us get our hands on the latest and greatest.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Waxy buildup? Maybe @Tony Miller can elaborate. This strop was somewhat of a prototype wasn't it?

Thanks for posting your review @RumpleBearskin

Just like bridle leathers and latigo this leather has waxes and oils curried into it during the tanning process. It is likely they are working towards the surface a bit more. Temps and humidity can also affect this as something my "Notovan" horsehide will get a little whitish "blush" depending on how warm/cool it is and the relative humidity. Sort of like a chocolate bar.....the oils will come to the surface and kind of give a frosty effect.

Joshua, it was a prototype in the sense that is was not made exactly like one of my production strops. I may or may not have done all the little trim work, did not add a cloth component, was not made from the best section of that hide, etc.... it has basically just put together quickly to have Jnat test the draw for me.

Just like bridle leathers and latigo this leather has waxes and oils curried into it during the tanning process. It is likely they are working towards the surface a bit more. Temps and humidity can also affect this as something my "Notovan" horsehide will get a little whitish "blush" depending on how warm/cool it is and the relative humidity. Sort of like a chocolate bar.....the oils will come to the surface and kind of give a frosty effect.

Joshua, it was a prototype in the sense that is was not made exactly like one of my production strops. I may or may not have done all the little trim work, did not add a cloth component, was not made from the best section of that hide, etc.... it has basically just put together quickly to have Jnat test the draw for me.
Mmmm curry. :001_302:
I didn't know if you did anything to the leathers to make them better for stropping in addition to the normal tanning process. I thought maybe you were trying something different. I misunderstood, so thanks for explaining.
Only two people ahead of me! :thumbup:

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Mmmm curry. :001_302:
I didn't know if you did anything to the leathers to make them better for stropping in addition to the normal tanning process. I thought maybe you were trying something different. I misunderstood, so thanks for explaining.
Only two people ahead of me! :thumbup:

Typically I just do "mechanical" or "physical" things to the leather to improve its use, not 'chemical" such as adding to it.

Another thought on the build-up mentioned earlier is just the heavier stropping (more pressure?) simply scraping off the surface waxes from the tanning processes rather than them just leaching/moving to the surface.

Thanks for explaining Tony.

@RumpleBearskin, how much pressure are we talking about? Not questioning the effectiveness, just wondering what qualifies as heavy stropping. Would a full hollow flex quite a bit on the leather? I've been experimenting with pressure a little bit to see if anything works better for me.

@Joshua223 i am a heavy handed when it comes to stropping as I don’t believe in my case that weight of blade does much so for me at least just resting the blade on the leather I don’t get the affect or results I want after honing a blade so I turn the edge into the linen and leather and listen for changes in sound and also pay attention to feedback and no this is not some karate kid “wax on wax off” thing :001_302: it’s just that I have done literally thousands of laps on all sorts of leather over the past several years and know what I need to do on leather to get my best results

Agreed. I'm not sure how to measure the pressure I apply. I do consciously apply some pressure, so it's significantly more than the "weight of the blade", but I'm not "bearing down". I'd say that the pressure is comparable to that I use when setting the bevel on a1K water stone when starting with s butt knife and creating s burr.

I keep the strop quite tight so there's not a lot of deflection even with the pressure applied. And as stated above, I listen for the changes in the sounds of the edge along the length of the stroke to decide when I'm done.

I've only been straight shaving for about a year and didn't have anyone to show me "proper" stropping pressure. It's hard to see "pressure" in YouTube videos, but what I do has worked well for me thus far.

My guess as to the minor accumulation towards the ends of the strop is the same as Tony's, I'm stropping more firmly than many and therefore releasing more of the oils, waxes, etc., used in the tanning or conditioning process. Nothing to be concerned about and I'd happily continue to use this strop without a second thought.

Agreed. I'm not sure how to measure the pressure I apply. I do consciously apply some pressure, so it's significantly more than the "weight of the blade", but I'm not "bearing down". I'd say that the pressure is comparable to that I use when setting the bevel on a1K water stone when starting with s butt knife and creating s burr.
The bevel setting comparison was actually a good illustration for me. I know Tony has a reputation for quality work. There is plenty I don't know, so I tend to ask a lot of questions. Maybe I should put that in my signature. :)

Just realised my typos. Often the word "a" comes out as "s" when typing on my phone. Also, I have no idea what a "butt knife" is, and don't want to know. I meant to say "butter knife" ...

A butt knife is actually the edge of the fork you use to pull the pork when it comes out of the smoker

Top Bottom