What's new

Steep versus shallow angle Throwdown!

Speed is relative! - I find the choice of razor, and how much time I have is the defining point. Using Rocky, with say plate R2, I can knock out the shave very quickly....I don't need to be as conscious and just swipe away, and can easily go back over an area without irritation, with a Feather, my blade of choice in Rocky. - Feathers are more comfortable and mild feeling in the Rockwell than even a Kai, go figure. (Still clears stubble as good as any, even with R2 - good if in a rush or time is short). With the QShave/MinShi, I go perhaps a tiny bit slower, similar to the Fatboy, now the Schone, that's a take your time and watch the pressure/angle razor for me. Last on the list is the Pearl OC head, I go really slow and easy with that, and the blade feel definitely reminds you on every swipe. (I rarely use the Pearl, and should really sell/trade it, along with my GEM Push-Button, and Personna Injector, which just aren't my favorites and rarely get used).

Well, I'm finished with the throwdown, and here's what I learned.

For razors that have a big blade gap, and thus a wide range of allowable angles for shaving, the best angle for any particular razor is neither the shallowest nor the steepest angle available, but rather is somewhere in between.

This "best angle" may be different for different shavers, I suppose. For me, I discovered that it is generally steeper than what I was using in the past, but not as steep as allowable by the range.

Going forward, I will likely use a slightly steeper angle than I have in the past. It works!

Thanks to all those who participated. I think the thread was quite interesting, and I learned something valuable for myself. I hope others have learned a bit, as well.

(I have an idea in my head for another "technique" throwdown, but I haven't decided whether to actually post it or not. It is an idea that is considerably more controversial than this one, and this one garnered a fair bit of negative reaction. I'm going to keep thinking about it before I make my decision.)

I think you nailed it kingfisher, I found the steeper angle gave a bit closer, and could handle ATG under the nose (fool's pass) much better than shallow, same with my chin, which there's a small scar from an accident as a kid, without nicking myself or causing weepers.

Now with my Tech, different story, but they're known to have a different angle....they like it more shallow, and you almost ride the cap to get an efficient shave. I guess the original Feather razor, never used one, but they like the handle around 45 degrees as opposed to the more normal 30-ish, which would give a more shallow blade angle, but then they were sort of a Tech clone.

I've been busy trying my new OneBlade Core on the other side (single edge), working on getting close/efficient with the comfort it has. (Shallow blade angle btw, but it was designed for the shallow angle).

Top Bottom