What's new

Steep versus shallow angle Throwdown!

Well, after the first shave off on a full 2 day growth:

- comfortable on both sides, but...
- ...steep side felt a bit safer...
- ...while the shallow angle was very slightly more efficient
- in the end, nicely shaven both sides, slight redness bound to fade shortly on a spot on each side of my neck (very sensitive spots those), with the steep side (left) feeling slightly more comfortable, while the shallow angle is very slightly closer

Ended up doing two passes on both sides plus touch ups.
The shallow angle side seemed a bit cleaner after the first pass, but things were almost equal after pass 2. Touch ups almost levelled the field. Had to do the same amount on both sides, but there was less work on the shallow angle side.

I have also performed shave 1.5... armpit shave (saving on deodorant a little this way), 1 week's growth:
Very similar to face shave, but:
- steep side (left again) felt even safer, practically no sting when applying aftershave, had to do 1 pass plus touch ups (essentially 1.5 passes)
- shallow side (right) was done noticeably faster, so shallow angle was definitely more efficient here, but there was a bit of sting when applying aftershave, one pass and done

Gear used:
Razor: Vig Shaving DERZ07 razor
Blade: Astra Stainless Superior (blue)
Brush: Omega S-brush S10019
Soap: Barbus Classic
Aftershave: Barbus Classic

Last edited:
- ...steep side felt a bit safer...
I'm glad you mentioned this because it is one of the lesser known advantages of steep angle shaving with an aggressive large-exposure razor.

When shaving steep you're riding the guard, which acts like guide, keeping the blade from going too deep into your skin.

The guard does not play as big a part when shaving shallow because you're riding the cap. It's like cutting a straight line with a table saw freehand vs with a guide.

Interesting thread to see what everyone comes up with.

I've long since found that I'd rather ride the guard than ride the cap as I get comfort and closeness without razor burn or weepers.

I suspect blade rigidity, how the blade is curved, plus head geometry, are going to affect results greatly.
Perhaps it would be more fair if people were to use the same razor, to make the field more level.

When shaving steep you're riding the guard, which acts like guide, keeping the blade from going too deep into your skin.

The guard does not play as big a part when shaving shallow because you're riding the cap.
Riding the cap also reduces blade exposure. Maximum blade exposure is achieved when both cap and guard are in contact with the skin.
I suspect blade rigidity, how the blade is curved, plus head geometry, are going to affect results greatly.
Perhaps it would be more fair if people were to use the same razor, to make the field more level.
Agree with all of that.
Will we get a result?:a18:

Hahaha - I was getting 60-80 shaves on a blade using a shallow angle and an now getting 60-80 shaves at a steep angle. @1Cal has just passed 115 shaves on a blade shaving steep. You have your reality, we have ours.
I applaud you. I've used a DE for many years and using a blade more than a week has never crossed my mind.

Nothing like a good Grudge match. I look forward to seeing how this comes out.

View attachment 792342

Me too!

proxy.php

This will be interesting, not in though. I feel like when I start thinking too about what angle I'm using is when I start having issues. Most of my shaving is on my head. I long strokes staring at my forehead and ending below the shirt collar on my back. I just keep it between the ditches, and ride the blade rather than the cap or bar/comb. I do like a razor with a wide range of angles. Most of my shaving is on my head I probably stay more towards shallow than steep, but use a steep angle for beard lines.

Stubble status report:
In the morning, there was a little bit growth on the steep side, so now the steep side has progresses from coarse sandpaper to fine sandpaper and the shallow angle side has entered the coarse sandpaper phase.
Makes for some fine itch scratching. :-D

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
For our next throwdown-

Which side of the blade do you use, the long sharpened side or the short unsharpened side?

So apparently I am not advanced enough to try this. I set my slim to 9 and gave it a shot, and, got some pretty hellacious weepers.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

...steep side felt a bit safer...
This is interesting. The conventional wisdom has always been that a shallow angle is the safest way, and that steep angle shaving is more likely to cause weepers, irritation, etc. As others chime in, we may be able to see whether your experience is unique, or whether the conventional wisdom is incorrect.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
My bet on the outcome is continued less irritation from a steep angle, riding the bar, resulting in clearer skin and less razor burn. I used to be a shallow angle shaver, but am now a confirmed steep angle shaver. BBS clossness and comfort? A more aggressive razor with a steep angle, like Fatip or r41, with a light touch and less to zero touch up required.

Last edited:
This is interesting. The conventional wisdom has always been that a shallow angle is the safest way, and that steep angle shaving is more likely to cause weepers, irritation, etc. As others chime in, we may be able to see whether your experience is unique, or whether the conventional wisdom is incorrect.

It might still be that way, but it might also be head/blade geometry in play. I'm really a shallow angle shaver, except for my neck where my hair curls, although I have had success with a shallow angle there too.

It's a bit unusual I seem to be the only one doing the challenge so far, lots more tend to jump on challenges like these quickly. A greater sample size is definitely required here.

So far, the safest, least irritating shaves for me have been with heads that either use very rigid blades (AC, GEM, injector) or that bend DE blades a fair amount, or clamp them really tightly across most of their length and width. With these, angles are often limited and the head shape pre-determines the angle. The head I'm using is a bit of an exception, as it does bend the blade a fair amount while keeping a fair range of angles.

I'll be starting tomorrow. Others will join in. These threads often go a week or more before people actually start posting results.

I used to be a shallow angle shaver, but am now a confirmed steep angle shaver.
Same here. My dad was exclusively a steep angle shaver, and I never understood why. I shaved as shallow as possible for over 40 years.

Two years ago I challenged myself to learn steep angle shaving. If so many people could do it, so could I. I was convinced I would like it less and that it couldn't possibly be as smooth and comfortable as shallow angle shaving.

Today, every shave is more comfortable at the steepest angle the razor will support.

People do what they want , this pages are just noncence , steep shaving is like scratching the face , you ruind Your face and the razorblade ,and you will find out that no razorblades are Sharp enough and that they have a short lived life

People do what they want , this pages are just noncence , steep shaving is like scratching the face , you ruind Your face and the razorblade ,and you will find out that no razorblades are Sharp enough and that they have a short lived life

Maybe I have, but it doesn't feel like it. Perhaps you could put it to the test again and take part in the throwdown?

It would be fascinating to be able to see how the two ways of shaving differ when viewed under a microscope when actually shaving. Pity it's not doable, at least not with the gear I have.
I suspect the comb is at least ruffling the hair around to it's easier to mow down by the blade. If it were possible to do engage the comb fully with a steep shaving angle, that could be interesting. The only razor I'm aware might be able to do this is the Razolution/GIP razor, but the shave reports haven't been favourable due to how close the handle needs to be to the skin for the razor to work effectively. Then again, I found a video on YouTube where a chap put a different handle on it with which it seemed fine. :w00t:

Top Bottom