What's new

Steep or Shallow?

While shaving do you, ride the cap, ride the guard or a little of both?

• Total voters
I honestly don’t know, I just shave in an angle that feels right. I just adapt to whatever I’m using with out really thinking about it. I found out that the more I try to control every aspect of the shave, the less enjoyable it is for me. I just do everything by feel. I know this doesn’t really contribute anything to the thread but I’m sure there has to be other people with a similar experience. I voted for both since I just shave by feel depending on the razor.

I find the audio feedback surprisingly helpful. If you're not hearing their "cutting" noise, then maybe you are off-angle, and need to adjust.

It's more important on my neck, where it becomes difficult to judge angle.

The Rockwell and now the Game Changers are usefully noisy, for me.

Reactions: Avi
Early in my journey, I used a shallow angle for every shave (riding the cap). Then it was brought to my attention some razors perform better when a steep angle is used. And it opened the world to me!!!!!!!

Now, depending on the razor, I'll shave once with it shallow & once with a steep angle then try to determine which angle for that particular razor provides the best shave for me. Every razor is different.

See, it's easy!

For me it really depends on the razor
Take for example, when I use my
Razor Rock OC GC .84 a shallow angle
Gives a medium amount of blade feel
And a much safer shave now if I use the
Steepest effective angle the blade feel greatly increases and the razor becomes
Much more dangerous and I end up with
Several nicks and a ton of weepers , now
The Blackland DART is just the opposite
The shallow angle gives an almost
unbearable amount of blade feel and is
Quite dangerous and has a very threatening feel throughout the shave
Go steep angle and the blade feel decreases by at least 50% and the razor
Feels a lot less threatening not nearly as
Safe as the GC at a steep angle, but a very different shave experience

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I use the angle that cuts the best - heaven only knows what that might be - but it's definitely closer to riding the cap than steeper.

The only place I go steep is under my nose - as I wish to actually miss my nose. It clearly doesn't work as well in terms of comfort, but I change the angle as the nose allows through that cut.

If someone was searching for a good angle I would recommend riding the cap and adjusting from there. Cutting is much better than scraping.

I shave at an angle, between cap and guard, so I get blade only, and I was thinking this might be neutral.
I should have said that instead of, I ride the blade, and trying to be with it!
I’d never heard of riding the cap till I came here, but I’m realising that I’ve led a very sheltered life, when it comes to shaving products and terminology.
Thanks for your replies.

Couple of geometry facts to be taken under consideration:

- When blade exposure is neutral or negative ,razor head contacts skin at two points .
One is the cap and the other one is the guard.At this case , there’s no “riding the cap/shallow” shave or “riding the bar/steep “ shave.There is no other way than “neutral” ,
whereas both the cap and guard
contact the skin simultaneously,
since the razor edge is “retracted“ .

- At the case of positive blade exposure ,the blade angle ( which depends on the clamping surfaces of both the cap and baseplate ) will be one of the major factors that will determine how smooth the shave will be.
A blade that is clamped with a
steep angle (blade remains almost flat) ,will offer a smooth shave when a shallow angle of attack is used (riding the cap).
Using a steep angle of attack
(riding the bar ) a closer shave may be achieved but in expense of smoothness and irritation or cuts may occur.
At the opposite case ,when the blade is curved when clamped then blade angle is shallow.
Choosing a steep angle of attack ( riding the bar ) will likely provide a smoother shave than “riding the cap” .

Couple of geometry facts to be taken under consideration:

- When blade exposure is neutral or negative ,razor head contacts skin at two points .
One is the cap and the other one is the guard.At this case , there’s no “riding the cap/shallow” shave or “riding the bar/steep “ shave.There is no other way than “neutral” ,
whereas both the cap and guard
contact the skin simultaneously,
since the razor edge is “retracted“ .

- At the case of positive blade exposure ,the blade angle ( which depends on the clamping surfaces of both the cap and baseplate ) will be one of the major factors that will determine how smooth the shave will be.
A blade that is clamped with a
steep angle (blade remains almost flat) ,will offer a smooth shave when a shallow angle of attack is used (riding the cap).
Using a steep angle of attack
(riding the bar ) a closer shave may be achieved but in expense of smoothness and irritation or cuts may occur.
At the opposite case ,when the blade is curved when clamped then blade angle is shallow.
Choosing a steep angle of attack ( riding the bar ) will likely provide a smoother shave than “riding the cap” .
Perfect! I was just going to say this, but you beat me to it!
Blooming Peaky Blinders!!😊👍

I honestly don’t know, I just shave in an angle that feels right. I just adapt to whatever I’m using with out really thinking about it. I found out that the more I try to control every aspect of the shave, the less enjoyable it is for me. I just do everything by feel. I know this doesn’t really contribute anything to the thread but I’m sure there has to be other people with a similar experience. I voted for both since I just shave by feel depending on the razor.
+1 For me too.

Top Bottom