What's new

Steep Angle Shavers Alliance

Gillette Single Ring.

My favourite razor. Especially with a Feather in. I enjoy shaving with that combo in, say, reckless abandon...[emoji38]1:
Haha fair enough! My Muhle R41 has just arrived. I needed to qualify for free delivery over £45 for my Proraso balm... So it was logical to order an R41 head and an iKon Bulldog handle to get it!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Haha fair enough! My Muhle R41 has just arrived. I needed to qualify for free delivery over £45 for my Proraso balm... So it was logical to order an R41 head and an iKon Bulldog handle to get it!

My only modern razor is a EJ DE89. Think that R41 is not a kitty... congrats on the savings! Wink

Raven Koenes

My precious!

The Muhle r41 prefers steep as well I have found.

NEW RAZOR DAY!

My new Muhle R41 w/ iKon Bulldog handle arrived in the post (along with the Proraso balm that was the reason I needed free postage...)

I thought it would be rude not to give it a go! So, here's how it went:
I loaded the R41 with a Gillette 7 o'clock (Yellow) blade and set about building a nice, slick lather (in my bowl) with the TOBS Peppermint. I painted it rather thickly onto my face... It felt a little sticky, so I added water until it was shiny and slippery. I then picked up the rather hefty new contraption and proceeded to complete a N-S pass using my free hand to stretch the skin as usual. I used short, quick strokes with a minimum of pressure. I also used a steep angle because that is what I have read is required with this razor (from those who use it as a daily driver). I rinsed off, and holy smokes... My neck was done... In one pass... My face was almost there and my jawline was as if it had had two passes. So I re-lathered above my Adam's apple and went for a VERY gentle XTG pass. I have ended up with a really nice DFS with 1.5 passes. That's a new best for me. I then sparingly applied some of the new Proraso balm... There was no stinging, just a nice soothing and moisturising sensation. I now feel superb!

Enjoy your shaves gents!

Thanks for the welcome and detailed post about blade preferences!
I actually used a Feather for the first two shaves with my Fatip Grande - these two shaves were done riding the cap (as I learnt to do upon entry to wet shaving 14 months ago), so this blade will be revisited!
Polsilver is the next blade up for testing... It is lying next to the razor/soap/bowl!

Out of Feather and Polsilver, which blade do you guys find has the best longevity whilst remaining efficient AND comfortable?
You're welcome!

To answer your question, Polsilver has far better longevity than Feather. Feather deteriorates quite rapidly, in my experience; whilst Polsilver seems to last pretty long. Polsilver is one of the most comfortable blades I've ever used.

Today I put a Polsilver in a Canadian OT Pocket edition... it seemed it didn't cut my whiskers... at all. After working on the angle I managed to get a decent shave... just decent... An Astra works perfectly in that razor (too mild maybe...), so does a Feather... Different blades, different reactions...

Today I put a Polsilver in a Canadian OT Pocket edition... it seemed it didn't cut my whiskers... at all. After working on the angle I managed to get a decent shave... just decent... An Astra works perfectly in that razor (too mild maybe...), so does a Feather... Different blades, different reactions...
Interesting observation! This hobby wouldn't be any fun if things were straight forward [emoji16]

I used to say the same.... I collect to use... I can stop any time...:001_rolle
[emoji23] I'm the same to be honest!

Have you ever shaved with a steep angle with a Gillette Tech? I was pondering if that (with a Feather) would give me a closer shave with that razor than riding the cap!

Now isn't that interesting? Polsilvers are not the sharpest, but they're not exactly dull either. I've grown quite fond of them, as for me they're the King of Smooth ...

[emoji23] I'm the same to be honest!

Have you ever shaved with a steep angle with a Gillette Tech? I was pondering if that (with a Feather) would give me a closer shave with that razor than riding the cap!

:001_smile

I can't remember the last time I used a Tech, sorry. :001_rolle

Top Bottom