What's new

Steep Angle Shavers Alliance

Raven Koenes

My precious!
But I'm not even in the same league as Rave @Raven Koenes when it comes to Fatips. Rave is definitely the world's Number One Fatip Fanboy. :letterk1: :laugh:
I currently have 24 Fatips. This one is my favorite. A good rule of thumb; the one I'm using is always my favorite:
004_15.jpg

upload_2017-10-25_18-20-1 (1).png

Hello, everyone! Really busy here... Missed you all, gentlemen...

May I add one simple idea? Actually, tehere's no "steep" vs. "shallow" angle debate. There's THE right angle... wihich, obviously, and according to my experience is... steep. I say...

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Hello, everyone! Really busy here... Missed you all, gentlemen...

May I add one simple idea? Actually, tehere's no "steep" vs. "shallow" angle debate. There's THE right angle... wihich, obviously, and according to my experience is... steep. I say...
:thumbup: Nice to see you around Juan! You've been missed and your wisdom as well. :wink2:

Wow! Nice Picture! :001_wub: It looks like it's about time to re-up on the TOBS Peppermint.
I have a tub of Almond and of Sandalwood that are in need of using up! I was in London last August and bought a few different tubs. I do lament not taking any pictures :001_unsur

I'm sorry to hear that James. Of course in this YMMV world what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. KEEP EXPERIMENTING!

I find the standard – cap (with pins up) on counter, drop blade on, (gently) drop baseplate on, rapidly press down on baseplate then screw handle on – method works spot on nine out of ten times for me. On the odd occasions that it doesn't work simply slacking off the handle a little, maneuvering the blade by the tabs, and retightening does the trick in a couple of seconds.

My Fatip Butterscotch is my all time favorite DE razor.
View attachment 970177 :001_wub:

But I'm not even in the same league as Rave @Raven Koenes when it comes to Fatips. Rave is definitely the world's Number One Fatip Fanboy. :letterk1: :laugh:

I'll definitely keep on trying with the techniques mentioned... Something will work. My goal is a 2 pass DFS+ with no irritation/nicks/cuts.

The tips for putting a blade in have really helped - I find that it works pretty much every time. Thanks for that one! :badger:

BEAUTIFUL razor, and seriously cool to boot!

I currently have 24 Fatips. This one is my favorite. A good rule of thumb; the one I'm using is always my favorite:
View attachment 970358
View attachment 970359

Beautiful razor!

I'm going to be doing some experimentation with blades.

I have Feather, Gillette 7 o'clock, Polsilver and Astra SP to start with. I am then going to buy a 40 blade sample pack from a certain auction site. I plan to record my findings in a journal.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I'll definitely keep on trying with the techniques mentioned... Something will work. My goal is a 2 pass DFS+ with no irritation/nicks/cuts.

The tips for putting a blade in have really helped - I find that it works pretty much every time. Thanks for that one! :badger:

BEAUTIFUL razor, and seriously cool to boot!

Beautiful razor!

I'm going to be doing some experimentation with blades.

I have Feather, Gillette 7 o'clock, Polsilver and Astra SP to start with. I am then going to buy a 40 blade sample pack from a certain auction site. I plan to record my findings in a journal.
Cal's tip on loading Fatips is famous and spot on. Keep us posted and link us to your journal. :a18:

Has anyone used an OCMM with a steep angle and lived to tell the tale?

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Fatip Focus - Shave #5

Razor - Fatip Grande
Blade - Gillette 7 o'clock Yellow (3)
Brush - Bluebeard Doubloon
Soap - TOBS Peppermint
Post - None yet

Another 2.5 pass shave yielding a DFS. Still not as smooth as I would like in some areas (jaw and very upper neck), but I really didn't chase much at all today, just did the passes and left it at that. Oh, I did shave my chin in all directions because of the daft growth there... Still didn't quite nail it without buffing!

All in all, I'm happy with the progress and the comfort of the shaves!

Enjoy your shaves gents!
proxy.php

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Hey guys!
This week I've become the owner of a Fatip Grande after struggling to obtain satisfactory shaves from my English Flat Bottom Tech (my standards have gotten higher since starting my journey in proper shaving)!
Yesterday, I had my first steep angle shave with a Gillette 7 o'clock yellow in the Fatip. I couldn't believe how comfortable it was... Only got a single weeper and ended with a neck and chin as smooth as they have ever been! The only area that gave me any trouble was the jawline... I need to shave ATG (ear to chin) here to get a smooth finish... It felt really harsh on my skin, and though there was no blood, the finish was a low grade DFS.
I am looking forward to shaving again tomorrow!

James
Fatip OC + Gillette Yellow + Steep Angle = High Quality Shave

If you're up to it, you may consider trying a Feather in the equation above. I rate that combination even higher, perhaps the highest quality combination of all my gear. If you want to really smoothen it out, and substantially reduce the potential to nick, you may consider substituting Polsilver into the equation.

All three of the above blades work beautifully in my Fatip OC, each with their own distinct nuances. They're all a joy!

1] Feather - Scalpel sharp. But it has no peer when you absolutely want the closest most efficient shave, and you don't mind putting in a little care & effort to get it.

2] Yellow - Very similar general characteristics to Feather, but toned down a notch. Fairly sharp, not too demanding, but you still need to pay some moderate slight attention.

3] Polsilver - Amazingly smooth, sharp enough, and you'll have to try pretty damn hard to cause a nick or cut. Shave with abandon, and still enjoy the comfort!

Welcome, and good luck!

Last edited:
Excellent! :001_cool: Welcome to the SASA James. :001_smile

:hand: Getting weepers is naughty. Respect the blade at all times.

A SUGGESTION
Once you've shaved your cheeks, put your free thumb or index finger on your jawline and lift the skin... then shave just below your thumb/finger. When you release, your skin drops back into place and your jawline is done. If it's too slippy rub some alum on your skin stretching digits.

Don't hit me if I'm teaching my Granny how to suck eggs. :blushing:
That's a great suggestion. I recommend it, as well.

I also get great results when doing ATG on my neck & under my chin, by stretching the skin downward by placing my hand just lower on my neck than I'm shaving.

Fatip OC + Gillette Yellow + Steep Angle = High Quality Shave

If you're up to it, you may consider trying a Feather in the equation above. I rate that combination even higher, perhaps the highest quality combination of all my gear. If you want to really smoothen it out, and substantially reduce the potential to nick, you may consider substituting Polsilver into the equation.

All three of the above blades work beautifully in my Fatip OC, each with their own distinct nuances. They're all a joy!

1] Feather - Scalpel sharp. But it has no peer when you absolutely want the closest most efficient shave, and you don't mind putting in a little care & effort to get it.

2] Yellow - Very similar general characteristics to Feather, but toned down a notch. Fairly sharp, not too demanding, but you still need to pay some moderate slight attention.

3] Polsilver - Amazingly smooth, sharp enough, and you'll have to try pretty damn hard to cause a nick or cut. Shave with abandon, and still enjoy the comfort!

Welcome, and good luck!

Thanks for the welcome and detailed post about blade preferences!
I actually used a Feather for the first two shaves with my Fatip Grande - these two shaves were done riding the cap (as I learnt to do upon entry to wet shaving 14 months ago), so this blade will be revisited!
Polsilver is the next blade up for testing... It is lying next to the razor/soap/bowl!

Out of Feather and Polsilver, which blade do you guys find has the best longevity whilst remaining efficient AND comfortable?

Top Bottom