What's new

Steep Angle Shavers Alliance

What??, Steep angle?, Pressure????, I've fallen in amongst heretics...Lucky me! Welcome to the Steep Side, where rules are meant to be broken. Oh, and that Ikon is shining like new money and moved to the head of the class.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I'm in (thanks for the invite @Cal).

I'm pretty much a guard rider on everything I touch...oh, and I will put pressure on a razor, too. I know that makes me the odd man out.

I've tried riding the cap but hate it. It does make sense to put the blade as parallel to the skin as possible to facilitate cutting. I get it, in theory. In practice I could never get it to cut close.

I decided to forget about what I read and find my own way to make my tools work the best for me as I could...and so I did.

Anyway...glad to know I'm not the only unorthodox shaver in the building.

Carry on, men.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Hey, welcome to SASA! :letterk1: I hope you find a home here with other like minded knuckleheads who can't follow the "rules". Please fell free to add SASA to you signature line to make it official. :w00t:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim, the Mk1 totally belies it's appearance and is a very fine shaver. Some might advocate a blade on the milder side, but my experience shows a sharp blade works best for a lighter pressure and less repetition . When you first load a blade and look at it with all that fang hanging out it makes you wonder, but I think you might be pleasantly surprised. Steep angle shaving is already counterintuitive, so your half way home, good luck.

It's my favorite Fatip so far.

I'm in. I have been steep angle shaving for the majority of my wetshaving years. I pretty much do not bother with shallow angle shaving and gave up on certain razors that require the shallow angle (Asylum Rx, Gem 1912).

Any SR steep angle shavers here?
I'm exclusively a steep angle shaver with safety razors. I'm 300+ shaves into the SR thing right now, and steep angle just does not work here for me.

Steep angle safety razor shaving works for me because [gasp] I use a bit of pressure. Pressure doesn't work with an SR, and no pressure with a steep angle skips for me.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm exclusively a steep angle shaver with safety razors. I'm 300+ shaves into the SR thing right now, and steep angle just does not work here for me.

Steep angle safety razor shaving works for me because [gasp] I use a bit of pressure. Pressure doesn't work with an SR, and no pressure with a steep angle skips for me.

Thank you. Interesting to see shave videos of guys shaving steep with the SR.

Thanks Cal, there seemed to be some confusion by one of the replys. If I can ever get my straight honed to my satisfaction, I may be able to judge the angle it likes. I just need to spend the time to get it past "capable".

If I can ever get my straight honed to my satisfaction, I may be able to judge the angle it likes. I just need to spend the time to get it past "capable".
:laugh: I'm just too bone idle for that kinda stuff Uncas.
upload_2018-10-14_22-24-34.png

I'm still much in the learning stages. But as ever, getting the sideburns and mustache accurate needs steep. :devil:

:laugh: I'm just too bone idle for that kinda stuff Uncas.
View attachment 919907

I'm still much in the learning stages. But as ever, getting the sideburns and mustache accurate needs steep. :devil:
Ha! I'd have been millions of dollars ahead if I would have grabbed one of those Feathers. Too late now, my path lies ahead. That stack of Niwanas is a crushing weight, and a reminder of the lure of pretty things.

But as ever, getting the sideburns and mustache accurate needs steep.
Good point. While I shave shallow with my straights, I have to resort to a steep angle on the mustache because of the giant thing on my face - my low-flying Roman nose. Thankfully, I only need to suffer once a week; I wear a mustache and goatee, but shave it off completely once a week.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I'm in. I have been steep angle shaving for the majority of my wetshaving years. I pretty much do not bother with shallow angle shaving and gave up on certain razors that require the shallow angle (Asylum Rx, Gem 1912).
Welcome to SASA! Please feel free to add SASA to your signature line. :001_smile

I steep angle shave all my DE razors except when the particular cut won't work well with a particular razor, like doing under the nose on an ATG pass.

Hi everyone! Just writing as I would like to join this alliance! Steep angle shaver here as well!! I use steep angle 100% of the time.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Hi everyone! Just writing as I would like to join this alliance! Steep angle shaver here as well!! I use steep angle 100% of the time.
Welcome to SASA! It's so great to see you are on it and added SASA to your signature line! I saw in another thread where someone told you some DE's can't go steep. I say pishaw! You can always go steep with any razor within the parameters of the cutting edge. Good to have you aboard!

Top Bottom