What's new

Steep angle and blade gap

That seems counterintuitive. A shallow angle would be between 0-45°. Anything above 45° is steep. The steepest angle is 90°, like a cliff.
Indeed, but we're talking about THE HANDLE angle here. The steep or shallow angle refers to THE BLADE.

Check out the illustration in post #40. :wink2:

Indeed, but we're talking about THE HANDLE angle here. The steep or shallow angle refers to THE BLADE.

Check out the illustration in post #40. :wink2:

I did look at the illustration. It's still wrong. The two inset pictures are labeled incorrectly. In the first picture, the BLADE angle is closer to 90* (steep). In the second picture, the BLADE angle is closer to 45* (which is shallower than 90*).

In order to get close to a 90* angle (steep) on the BLADE, the HANDLE would not be parallel to your face. As you drop the HANDLE from perpendicular to your face, the BLADE angle gets progressively more shallow.

I did look at the illustration. It's still wrong. The two inset pictures are labeled incorrectly. In the first picture, the BLADE angle is closer to 90* (steep). In the second picture, the BLADE angle is closer to 45* (which is shallower than 90*).

In order to get close to a 90* angle (steep) on the BLADE, the HANDLE would not be parallel to your face. As you drop the HANDLE from perpendicular to your face, the BLADE angle gets progressively more shallow.
Angles-sketch_2022-01-28.jpg

Acute = angle is smaller, and it is sharper. Obtuse = wider, and it is less sharp. A 30* angle is a lot sharper than a 90* (or 45* as most razors handles are held). Those who sharpen knives know this. I only say this for clarification.

Yes, because I am visualizing the 0* angle as flat or horizontal, not vertical. You don't dive off a 0* cliff unless it's a slip 'n slide.

I think I understand the different takes on blade angle. I was consider the face in the examples as the vertical plane. I now see that the pictured examples are based on the face a the horizontal plane.

Maybe a better and more universally understood term would be riding the cap or riding the guard. My experience is that I ride more of the cap with large gaps, I ride more of the guard with smaller gaps.

From a geometry perspective I can see where Cal is coming from, but my mind immediately goes the opposite. The scientist in me says I need to think this over more.

Maybe I'm the one taking crazy pills. Regardless of angle, I keep the handle more perpendicular to my face with larger gaps, I drop the handle closer to parallel with smaller gaps.

I didn't like the Christopher Bradley because it shaves shallow.

That's interesting cconsidering that the CB razor is modeled on the Gillette pre war tech with improved blade rigidity. I've read many SASA members state that the Gillette pre war Tech is not suited for steep angle shaving.

Last edited:
I've read many SASA members state that the Gillette pre war Tech is not suited for steep angle shaving.
They need to be reprimanded! Or better :a33:.

As per King Gillette's advice (see the 2nd WAY):
Gillette-Tech-Box-Instructions.jpg

To repeat: "Solid guard bar smooths skin ahead of shaving edge."

And to quote from another thread:
"So many (relatively recent) instructions say place the cap on the face and lower the handle till the blade makes contact. THIS IS WRONG (IMO). Doing this bunches the skin up in front of the blade. It's an ideal system for lopping off any skin irregularities (like old scars, moles, spots, etc). Do you wonder why so many people complain of skin irritation? I don't."

Going back to the OP I agree with your theory in practice @sakaltras and find the Monocero Husaria demonstrates this well. For me it requires a very steep angle to be rigidly maintained when moving from face to neck. Also believe this variance between face and neck is why so many wet shavers suffer irritation and red necks because they transition from a steep angle on face (riding the safety bar) through to shallow angle on neck (riding the cap). Also as your pictures demonstrate there are angles between bar and cap where you are effectively riding the blade hence a close shave with burning sensation and not comfortable enough to enjoy. If riding the blade prefer a straight razor.

Top Bottom