What's new

Steaming coffee...

This coffee has no milk in it of any kind...

It's the result of steaming an Americano.

I've been doing this for a few months now, and thought I'd share my method for anyone interested. It first occurred to me when I was switching my coffee machine off after making an espresso for a long Americano, and switching the kettle on. I'm probably not the first person to realise it, but just had the idea to use the heat in the coffee machine to steam cold water up to temp instead of boiling the kettle. Saves a bit of money, and puts a little less strain on the planet, so it's already a win.

Anyway. The coffee is a bit different and I think improved from your usual Americano, which is something I hadn't expected. It's somehow smoother, even when the bubbles have disappeared from the liquid. Mouthfeel is increased, and I think I get better flavours too.

Method - make espresso (you can switch the machine off now if wanted). Put the shot into the desired quantity of cold water in your mug (I use BWT Mg+ water and can't sing its praises enough). Entrain a bit of air at the start a bit like you would for cappuccino. Then bury the wand and bring it to your desired temp using fingertips to check. Sit back, enjoy a fantastic smooth sweet cup of coffee 😎

Attachments

• 20220815_114753.jpg
    20220815_114753.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
I don't know, I last had cold brew years ago - I don't make it at home, I generally avoid town on hot days, and get all my coffee in before midday haha. But give it a go. I think it's better not to get the coffee too hot - I probably get it to no more than 50degC. Which makes logical sense in not messing with the flavours.

to each their own. no offense, but cold water in espresso followed by steaming? not for me, thanks. :eek2: I'm crying on the inside when some of our guests put cold milk in the espresso I serve them (and they don't want a proper cappuccino or latte). I have learned to smile while they are doing it :)

honestly, any espresso machine at home is as far from green as it gets. we are heating up 0.5-1l of water and keeping it near boiling temperate just to make a couple of cups of coffee.

to each their own. no offense, but cold water in espresso followed by steaming? not for me, thanks. :eek2: I'm crying on the inside when some of our guests put cold milk in the espresso I serve them (and they don't want a proper cappuccino or latte). I have learned to smile while they are doing it :)

honestly, any espresso machine at home is as far from green as it gets. we are heating up 0.5-1l of water and keeping it near boiling temperate just to make a couple of cups of coffee.
You don't fancy trying it - good for you.

No, espresso isn't 'green' but if you're going to do anything at all, you can approach it with a philosophy of reducing the impact on the environment.

Happy coffees bud :c2:

Top Bottom