What's new

Steaming a knot loose

I'm sure this is old news to many of you. Steam works great for removing a knot that's been epoxied in. Their are a number of youtube videos on how to do this.

This summer I ordered a custom brush. The handle is magnificent. The knot is not. I have been trying synthetic knots all summer and love the latest generation. Ordered my custom handle with a new generation syn knot and hate the thing. Worst of all, their is a glue stalagmite sticking up from the glue bump. Its sharp and scratched me one too many times. I was going to send the handle back to the gentleman that turned it for me, but wasn't sure exactly what I was going to use for a knot so I decided to remove the crummy synthetic knot myself. Gulp. It was an expensive handle.

Boiled 3 cups of water in a large kettle. Placed the brush in a glass bowl, put the bowl in the boiling water, covered, and let it simmer for 30 minutes. Carefully removed the brush, held the handle firmly (wearing gloves...its hot) twisted and pulled on the knot, and it popped right out. No mess, no damage to the custom handle.

I haven't decided on what knot I will be putting in the custom handle, but the job of removing the old knot was so clean that its going to be a piece of cake to get this beautiful handle back into service.

Steam was not good for this badger knot: it seemed to affect the hair and the glue plug. I used a bamboo steamer on a saucepan. As I recall the brush was exposed to steam for around 15 minutes.

Happily I only wanted the handle and that was modern acrylic. Some handles might be temperature-sensitive, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I should edit my post...steaming works great for removing a knot that you no longer want. I wasn't planning on reusing the synthetic, its now in the garbage.

I would never recommend the steaming method as I have destroyed a few handles and knots by doing this. If you are looking to extract a knot, then cut it to the base with scissors/knife, then drill it out with a dremel or similar tool.

I would never recommend the steaming method as I have destroyed a few handles and knots by doing this. If you are looking to extract a knot, then cut it to the base with scissors/knife, then drill it out with a dremel or similar tool.

I've also ruined a good brush trying to do the steaming method. Would (k)not recommend it.

I've also ruined a good brush trying to do the steaming method. Would (k)not recommend it.
+1

I attempted to remove a mixed knot from a DR Harris brush that ended up cracking the handle in two spots. I have done several restorations drilling out the knot and that will be my only method from now on. Although drilling has its own risks, at least the process is controlled by me.

It would seem to me the proper method to use for removing a knot would depend upon the individual handle. For example, I wouldn't steam a vintage butterscotch handle or a wooden handle. I would steam a newer acrylic or plastic handle. I used a dremel once, didn't like the mess from the high RPM's. For an old wood handle I used my lathe which is the best approach 90% of the time. If you have an acrylic handle and don't want to damage the knot hole them steaming is a good alternative to drilling or dremels.

I've steamed out a few knots from acrylic handle brushes without issue. I'm aware it will damage the knot and it's roulette with the handles. It's turned out fine every time though.

ive steam removed a couple of knots that have gone bad and have had good luck. that being said, the knots in question were going to be thrown away and the handle was modern acrylic.

I only ask about people that have steamed out synthetics because there seem to be conflicting information about it impacting the fibers.

I'd dearly love to remove my chubby 2 synthetic knot to increase the loft, but if I cannot steam it, I'm left with destroying the handle and having a custom one made. Not the end of the world, but somewhat annoying when you've already paid for it.

I've got a Vulvix with a pure Badger knot that has no backbone, I want to replace the knot and use the same handle, which option would be best to remove the knot? I was going with the steam method, wondering if the vulvix handle will be able to "handle" the heat and remain intact, anyone that has done this with a vulvix handle would like to know how it turned out.

I've got one of the old Rubberset brushes with the aluminum handle, would steaming be ok for that, or should I use a dremmel?

I've got one of the old Rubberset brushes with the aluminum handle, would steaming be ok for that, or should I use a dremmel?
It won't hurt the aluminum ferrule at all if that's what you're worried about.

I've got a pair of the rubbrrset brushes to. ...I found it easier to unscrew the ferrule and do out the knot from underneath.

I doubt that the knot will come out with stream. They are pretty well set in there

It won't hurt the aluminum ferrule at all if that's what you're worried about.

I've got a pair of the rubbrrset brushes to. ...I found it easier to unscrew the ferrule and do out the knot from underneath.

I doubt that the knot will come out with stream. They are pretty well set in there

Lol I wasn't even aware of how the brush was constructed, you just saved me a lot of frustration I'm sure :)

Lol I wasn't even aware of how the brush was constructed, you just saved me a lot of frustration I'm sure :)
Yeah the handle unscrews from the knot part. Drilling it out from underneath is best. Sometimes a little heat helps if it doesn't unscrew readily.

I used a blowtorch to heat mine slightly to unscrew it.

Not that it matters now but I just steamed the knot out of my EJ best. 20min in the steamer & it twisted right out, no harm to the handle.

The LOTH informed me that I stained the inside of her stainless steel steamer and she had to scrub the bejebus out of it to get it clean. Men, take note: Buy your own steamer if you plan on doing this.

Top Bottom