What's new

Steam

Thought I would share my experience using steam for the first time. I had two handles that had coins glued into the socket that were resisting coming apart after the knots fell out. I don't have many brushes that have the knots fall out but you are bound to have a few if you make a lot of brushes. One has been waiting for attention for a couple of years, and the other fell out yesterday. Both are pictured in the post "Weekend Project" that was posted a few minutes ago.

After considerable attempts to remove the epoxy and coins I decided to make one last attempt using steam. I felt why not try before tossing the handles. So I put them in a steamer with boiling water below for about 10 to 15 minutes. Then I pulled one out with tongs and while holding it with an oven hot pad glove I tried to pry the coin with a screwdriver and observed that the handle had softened form the heat and was distorting when pried upon. When I quit prying the handle immediately went back to its original shape. I tried a couple more times and decided to stop before doing determinant damage to the handle. I gently tried with both handles but could see it wasn't going to work. I shut down the stove and pull the steamer out to allow things to cool.

Here is where it got interesting. When the handles were mostly cooled, enough to not distort with prying, I tried again and the epoxy holding the coin had softened enough that it popped right out. The second handle was a little more stubborn but responded to the same treatment.

All the rest of the epoxy could be scraped out. A little bit of stubborn epoxy easily came out with a Dremel drum sander.

So I know different plastics may react differently, but at least for these modern resin plastic handles the trick may be to get the epoxy softened and the handle cool enough to not distort and you may be able to loosen the epoxy.

Both times I've steamed to remove a knot the epoxy held on for all it was worth and the handle got soft. After two tries at it I've realized that some people use a lot of glue .

Top Bottom