What's new

Stealing a shave away from home

I've recently a acquired a few travel razors and I'm looking forward to using them. Not travelling much these days for the obvious reasons though, so I won't be shaving at relatives' homes for Thanksgiving or Christmas like I usually do, and I have no business or vacation travel on my calendar.

So I'm thinking about getting in an occasional "bandit" shave outside of home--mostly at work, but the nearby university campus has some options for me as well. Maybe some retail locations too when there's almost no one else around. It's gotta be a place where I can have the restroom to myself, locking the door. And I'm committed to doing my best not to inconvenience anyone else, so I will be quick, and completely clean up after myself. I'll hand lather (no brush) with cream from a small sample jar, do two careful but quick passes, rinse, and a witch hazel splash. Then a disinfecting wipedown of the sink, load up the gear and shove it back in a pocket, and be out. Maybe 5 minutes?

Anyone else do this? Somehow seems like it needs to be clandestine. Fortunately work has times when I'm here with few others, and I believe we have several single user restrooms throughout the building.

I've got no incentive to do this apart from the pleasure of getting a shave and playing with a small DE razor. And while I like leisurely shaves, I think it'll be fun to be as quick and efficient as possible while still seeking DFS+. It's just to mix things up.

Wondering if there's ever been and B&B Bandit Shave Challenge.....

I'm not sure why I took great humor from your post; it must be the visual of you shiftily sneaking into a public restroom with a travel kit tucked into your pit, and shaving with a toothy grin as you elate in the escapism.

Yes! That’s what I’m hoping for—the feeling of getting away with something slightly illicit!

Go into the woods, scoop some water out of the stream, lather up, and go for it! You should probably filter that water, just in case.

Great idea! There's a creek on some empty property behind my house where I could give this a try, and I've got a shower/travel mirror I could hang from a branch! Although it probably makes more sense for me to bring my own water. I wonder what the most bio-friendly cream is? (Hard soaps are out for this, I think.)

Go into the woods, scoop some water out of the stream, lather up, and go for it! You should probably filter that water, just in case.
I was just thinking of this, as I am day dreaming of dropping off the grid and escaping the world. Even in hiding, a gentleman must look good!
I was also finding humor in younger years looking for a secret spot with your sweet young lady to now "sneaking" a shave lol AHHH I needed that smile today.

Great idea! There's a creek on some empty property behind my house where I could give this a try, and I've got a shower/travel mirror I could hang from a branch! Although it probably makes more sense for me to bring my own water. I wonder what the most bio-friendly cream is? (Hard soaps are out for this, I think.)

I think soaps would be more eco-friendly than creams. You could use a hard puck of soap like a shave stick - rub it all over your face - then face lather.

Since you mention a university close by, sneak along with your sweetheart, sorry I meant shaving gear, behind the bleachers of the field....that always got my adrenalin going...if you know what I mean!😏

Perhaps a different approach?

I occasionally break out my travel kit for a change of pace at home! Nothing wrong with my Lord L6, La Toja stick, Proraso splash, etc!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Everything’s more fun when you are doing something where you feel you shouldn’t. What will you say if/when you get caught?! 😂

Something along the lines of, "Of course I was shaving! What do you think I am, a barbarian?"

Oh the wickedness of man.

I know, right? Not exactly true cloak and dagger stuff. But then who knows, maybe this will be my gateway to ever increasing illicit activities. I'll try to keep my decline in check by remembering that they won't let me bring my Merkur travel razor to prison.

I get to work early enough that there is no one else around, and there is a unisex bathroom outside my office with room enough and a locking door. From time to time I've thought of saving my morning shave until I get to work. But I would have to cart the razor and other gear with me, or do up a shaving kit; I'd have to take off my shirt; the A/C in there is not strong; and the light is behind me, so that my face in the mirror would be in shadow.

Still, a quick 1-pass shave with a Tech and some Barbasol on a 24-hour beard would be nice.

Top Bottom