What's new

Steak knives recommendations

My Henckles serrated steaks are officially dead. Looking for something a bit nicer. Doesn’t have to be serrated, don’t mind buying an electric sharper or even taking them to my local knife shop. I’m only looking for a set of four and I don’t mind spending up to $120 or even a little more if they are worth it. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Bought set of these ages ago, at least 20 years, up in the Massachusetts Berkshires. Still goin’ strong. Still made in US in MA
1604167647681.jpeg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
The Opinels look great. I have Laguioles with olivewood handles I got on Amazon. I love smooth blades rather than serrated. They are so much easier to keep sharp.

We bought a set of Messemeister steak knives on Amazon two years ago. You can get a set of eight for under $120. They are non-serrated and keep a very nice edge. They are the best we've ever had.

Bought set of these ages ago, at least 20 years, up in the Massachusetts Berkshires. Still goin’ strong. Still made in US in MA
View attachment 1176235
Those look really nice, but at $350 they are a little out of reach right now

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Its an unpopular opinion, but I love my Cutco knives. The steak knives are big, sharp, and feel great in the hand. I really enjoy using them. And they have been staying sharp for years, but if they ever get dull, I will sent them back to Cutco for a lifetime free sharpening.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I've been using these for more than 30 years and they arent even close to dead and have never been resharpened.

51V1ncvw5AL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I’m only looking for a set of four ...

... okay, I'm going to mention something else. :whistling:

Sooner or later, whether you get a 4-set or not, take a look at the offerings from Muela knives from Spain. They make a lot of different knives, but ... in among them are some great hunting-style knives with great stag-horn handles.

1604254808688.png

I got one for my own "special steak knife" ... I particularly like the ones with the antler "crown" (or whatever it's called):

1604254869938.png

1604254898950.png

Maybe you like the idea ... maybe not. Thought I'd at least throw that idea into the mix.

Ok, this will irritate some folks in this thread. I have several Bob Kramer kitchen knives, many Forshner knives (cheap) for my BBQ habit and a couple of Japanese kitchen knives. I believe in great knives and have them sharpened professionally by a local knife maker every year. As to steak knives , I buy the cheapest but functional ones I can find from restaurant supply stores. Why would you want to use a $200 set of steak knives to cut a steak on a ceramic plate (dulling the edge) when a cheap knife will cut the meat just as well. When they get dull, you buy another set. Do you use your fine kitchen knives to cut veggies, etc on ceramic/glass/granite cutting boards?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Those are on my short list 👍

I paid almost $90CAD for 4 when I bought them at Sears in the mid 1980's. I thought they were made in Germany but mine say Spain to so I guess they're still the same.

Zwilling J.A. Henckels Stainless Steel 4 Piece Serrated Steak Knife Set - https://www.knifecenter.com/item/H39135000/zwilling-ja-henckels-stainless-steel-4-piece-serrated-steak-knife-set

I cant say I've ever wished for a better steak knife. They'd cut up an old baseball glove just as easily lol.

IMG_3360.jpg

The business end, with only very slight wear at the very tip.

IMG_3362.jpg

Not hard to tell they've seen a lot of use and banging around in the drawer. I'll never need another set and they're already more than 30 years old.

Top Bottom