What's new

Steak cuts

Which is the best steak cut for you at an average/above-average restaurant?
I usually prefer tender cuts, but I am beginning to learn that a lot of people consider marbled cuts to be of superior quality... illuminate me here.

Got to agree with NANP here. A dry aged ribeye is just about tops. The only thing that I can think of that tops it is a saddle of corn fed venison or a rack of lamb from Jamison Farm.:tongue_sm

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I should not have read this thread so close to dinner time. :001_rolle

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Ribs rule.

Porterhouse is for pansies- a flavorless filet next to a tougher and only slightly more flavorful strip.

Did I mention that rib steaks rule? Entrecote, delmonico, spencer, club, mushk- you name it, I'll put it away. :tongue_sm

You can't beat the Rib, dry-aged, marbled; makes filet-mignon taste like chicken.

We are of course speaking strictly steak here. There are marvellous things to be made with other parts if we are going to be talking roast, but that's another thread.

p.s. actually even in the roast world the rib is fantastic.

After readin Ouch's post I also have to add the skirt and the flank: two VERY underrated and overlooked cuts that can yield magnificent resutls if done right.

ouch

The filet mignon is the most over rated cut of meat. Some incredible cuts of steak include the skirt, hangar, and flat iron, plus a relatively unknown cut that is cheap, tender, and delicious. Unfortunately, I have been prohibited from revealing it under penalty of divorce, castration, and ungabunga, not necessarily in that order.

ouch

As momo mentions, the flank is great, and very versatile. Where would Chinese cuisine be without it?

The filet mignon is the most over rated cut of meat. Some incredible cuts of steak include the skirt, hangar, and flat iron, plus a relatively unknown cut that is cheap, tender, and delicious. Unfortunately, I have been prohibited from revealing it under penalty of divorce, castration, and ungabunga, not necessarily in that order.

awwww come on, man!

Ribs rule.

Porterhouse is for pansies- a flavorless filet next to a tougher and only slightly more flavorful strip.

Did I mention that rib steaks rule? Entrecote, delmonico, spencer, club, mushk- you name it, I'll put it away. :tongue_sm
You wanna take this outside (grabs bottle of Worcestershire)? (laughter)

+1

And I support the rib steak as the most flavourful - just cooked some up on the weekend!

I don't mind a nice New York either, but the rib is the tastiest.

I have to echo the above sentiments - Rib-eye. An all around great cut.

Just remember, the real secret to a great steak:

1) NEVER puncture it. If you feel the need to stick a fork in something - stick it in your own eye, not your Rib eye.

2) Let it sit for TEN MINUTES after cooking it. Cover it with foil or an upside down plate, but let it rest off the heat. All the moisture will relocate during this time and, as long as you haven't stuck a fork in it, give you that moist, tender, steak you just can't beat.

:thumbup1:

You can't beat the Rib, dry-aged, marbled; makes filet-mignon taste like chicken.

We are of course speaking strictly steak here. There are marvellous things to be made with other parts if we are going to be talking roast, but that's another thread.

p.s. actually even in the roast world the rib is fantastic.

Sorry I can't help myself
full

Last edited by a moderator:

ouch

awwww come on, man!

Sorry, but I've grown rather attached to that, and would prefer to not have it detached. In fact, in recognition of many years of faithful service, I'm thinking of buying it a gold watch. :lol:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I like strip loin steak or New York cut 1" to 1.5" and the 1" to 1.5" is important to me. I'd do a porterhouse but that would be a few meals for me and my wife at the thickness I like . . . . hmm not so bad a thought that. I'm lucky I found an actual real butcher shop near where I am. . . so I don't have to depend on the kid stocking the pop shelf to pick my meal for me.

Top Bottom