What's new

Staying warm

How does everyone stay warm if you’re not able to smoke in the house?

I have an unvented garage and am thinking of putting in a vent fan that would feed outside. Any other suggestions?

Currently cracking the garage door that faces north and running a big Buddy mr heater off propane, and a small 1500 watt space heater under my chair.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
How does everyone stay warm if you’re not able to smoke in the house?

I have an unvented garage and am thinking of putting in a vent fan that would feed outside. Any other suggestions?

Currently cracking the garage door that faces north and running a big Buddy mr heater off propane, and a small 1500 watt space heater under my chair.
Garage here. Just let it fill up with smoke. When this house is sold and we move i will smoke in the house just like the days of yore.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Space heater in the tool shed. Haven’t tried it yet but it should work fine. Last year I had a kerosene heater in there and it got toasty. Luckily it doesn’t get too cold here in Mid TN

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I sit on the back stoop with a blanket under me, one on top and good coat on. Wonderful when it is quiet out. Even better with snow falling.
This works until it is around zero then I am SOL.

Pretty much what I do too. I moved up north from Texas about 5 years ago and realized that not only do I have a “tolerance” to cold I enjoy it too. Maybe it’s because I spent my whole life prior to the move being hot. A cold quiet night with snow falling is the epitome of peaceful for me.

Pretty much what I do too. I moved up north from Texas about 5 years ago and realized that not only do I have a “tolerance” to cold I enjoy it too. Maybe it’s because I spent my whole life prior to the move being hot. A cold quiet night with snow falling is the epitome of peaceful for me.
As long as it isn't windy... I can handle it. The pipe or stick not as well.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
running a big Buddy mr heater off propane, and a small 1500 watt space heater under my chair.

The Buddy heater is what I do if I'm somewhere that they don't smoke in the house...go out in the garage and fire up the heater and the pipe.

Luckily, I smoke in my own house. Nice and toasty when it's 20 degrees outside...have a 5 grate propane infrared heater in the house. No vent needed and it's 25,000 BTU.

Plan on getting a propane fed radiant heater that we can suspend from a truss under our carport. then it's just a case of bundling up and smoking one of my smaller pipes. Fortunately, I am not yet a daily smoker, so I can force myself to skip the coldest days.

Once upon a time, it was a good drink of dark liquor. A good slug or two of brandy or whiskey was good against the night's chill. Now, it's basement banishment. Door cracked open with a small fan blowing out.

But that's been cigars (which Mrs. Rookie does not like) and cigarettes (which she detests). I have a sneaky suspicion that pipes may be an inside treat seeing how much she likes pipe tobacco.

Currently 14° with a wind chill at a balmy 0° in the Denver area. With my lined bib carhartt overalls and my little heater set up it’s nice and toasty in the garage with the door cracked about 3”.

The mr heater model I purchased doesn’t have the internal fan i guess. Rigged up a fan behind it and am using a sheet tray to capture some of the heat.

Smoke em if you got em.
26692705-53AE-47C4-81F3-198175206549.jpeg

9FFEAB15-2128-40B4-9F8C-9EF463A4EB45.jpeg

09DD3965-C494-437E-BE56-29ADDFE1EE86.jpeg

No smoking in my house or attached garage. My Social, Menu, and Financial Advisor otherwise tolerates my TAD, PAD and pipe smoking. I’ve a propane fire pit on the patio that fights off cool weather, down to freezing or so. If it is lightly raining or snowing or just plain cold, below freezing, I utilize my mobile smoking lounge, currently a Honda Ridgeline with the optional smoking roof. I run it long enough to keep the chill off and enjoy my smoke and a whisky. I’m not sure what the neighbors think.

I do have a nice sized shed in the back yard that when I get it cleaned out might work for smoking in inclement weather; no electricity but a propane heater and camp lantern would make it comfortable.

I have a detached garage furnished with WiFi, TV and comfortable seating. It does get cold but an electric heater and a blanket usually do the trick.
I was thinking of mounting a tv on the wall. Did you have to get a special tv? I have an old plasma in the basement still in a box from 3 moves ago that is about 7 years old. Wouldn’t totally hurt my feelings if it cracked due to the below 32° weather we experience quite a bit in Colorado.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I was thinking of mounting a tv on the wall. Did you have to get a special tv? I have an old plasma in the basement still in a box from 3 moves ago that is about 7 years old. Wouldn’t totally hurt my feelings if it cracked due to the below 32° weather we experience quite a bit in Colorado.
Mine is a flat screen I bought off a friend that hasn't had any issues in the highs of Kentucky summer and below freezing in the winter. Not sure about plasma.

I'm starting to look seriously at my basement and garage. I can stand next to the cracked open door with the cigarette mostly out for that long. But I'm starting to look at my garage as a safe pipe tobacco space for the coming Mid-Atlantic winter. Or tossing stool over where the workshop will be in the basement.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I'm starting to look seriously at my basement and garage. I can stand next to the cracked open door with the cigarette mostly out for that long. But I'm starting to look at my garage as a safe pipe tobacco space for the coming Mid-Atlantic winter. Or tossing stool over where the workshop will be in the basement.
You are going to need a place to smoke your pipe and pretty soon. In Syracuse, I used the basement and here I use the garage. When we move, I’ll smoke in the house like the old days.

Top Bottom