What's new

Staying power of shu

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Does it have any?

I seem to enjoy drinking shupu more than the average pu'head, but it doesn't appear to have anywhere near the ability to yield multiple infusions of a good sheng. If a sheng is only good for six steepings, I consider it a weakling, and I expect to get ten or more brews from a good one. Shu? By the third cup, it usually loses whatever charm it had to begin with. Increasing the steeping time doesn't seem to help, as opposed to a raw pu'er that will continue to release its charms even when it needs a brew lasting several minutes.

I can put up with the oddball flavors and the general "fake" nature of cooked pu'er, but I've grown accustomed to keeping the pot going for hours. If I can only enjoy a shu for a few quick cups, I don't see very much of it in my future.

I have a more limited experience with shus, but definitely notice the same thing - I get between 3 and 5 brews depending on the quality.

I'm not in the market for any more (although I'll certainly buy a small cake every now and again), so not a real issue for me.

I go for at least six or seven brews from my shu. I do tend to enjoy teas beyond what most people would consider acceptable and enjoy the subtleties of good shu well after others would have them consigned to the compost bin.

I find shu a good candidate for overnight brewing as it can be quite pleasant cold and can last a while. Overnight in boiling water once normal drinking is done followed by a flash rinse, which I drink, and then more boiling water before I head out for the day which greets me on my return.

It won't hold up like sheng does and I currently only have two shu's I enjoy, none of which I'm likely to obtain again; 2/3 of a 250g cake of 2005 Menghai golden needle and a one serving left of a divine loose shu gifted to me with an accompanying story involving small batches, linen bags for fermentation and great attention to cleanliness of the process in general.

While it is simpler, in defence of shupu there are some decent ones available. The Menghai V93 is really fresh, and can go quite some time for a shupu. It does all get a lot simpler quite quickly, and it's largely one-dimensional (wet bookcase), but a proper shupu can easily outclass the majority of average offerings. Look for bright, fresh energy, a ringing flavour, and something of a huigan.

We've got some 14-year shupu that has become very mellow and rounded, which is about as good as you can expect from maturing this type of tea. I wouldn't like to never drink shupu again, but at the same time I do find myself drinking it only infrequently - though it is a healthy office companion!

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Top Bottom