What's new

Starz Black Sails

Has anybody watched this? Just finished the final episode, I've got to say that's one of the better shows I've watched in the past couple years. One too many beards unfortunately ;) But a really great show in my opinion. They managed to link fact and fiction really well. Opinions?

proxy.php

I love this show. I've watched every episode from every season multiple times. I have seasons 1-3 on DVD to keep for future viewing.

That having been said, there were a few things I didn't like. I'll try to avoid spoilers.
I am huge scholar of pirate lore and history. I have an extensive library and have read more books about pirates than I can remember. There were a few things BS did that made me wince. I'm all for creative license and dramatic effect, but you can't completely alter the time, place, and circumstances of well-documented historical events. I don't think the finale did Treasure Island justice in terms of setting up the characters for has to be canon.

I really enjoyed it. The finale was a bit of a shock, not keeping abreast of news, I figured it was just a season finale. The show was pretty engaging through most of the seasons. Not sure what to replace it with. Though, supposedly a spin off isn't entirely outside the realm of possibilities...

‘Black Sails’ Creators On Tonight’s Series Finale & More Possible Pirate Adventures

I do believe that they are going to be doing a "Treasure Island" show, everything points towards it, I've heard no confirmation thought.

I love this show. I've watched every episode from every season multiple times. I have seasons 1-3 on DVD to keep for future viewing.

That having been said, there were a few things I didn't like. I'll try to avoid spoilers.
I am huge scholar of pirate lore and history. I have an extensive library and have read more books about pirates than I can remember. There were a few things BS did that made me wince. I'm all for creative license and dramatic effect, but you can't completely alter the time, place, and circumstances of well-documented historical events. I don't think the finale did Treasure Island justice in terms of setting up the characters for has to be canon.

That's really interesting! I've got to say, I was disappointed by the real-life Jack Rackham. He's by far my favorite character and it's unfortunate that it doesn't seem to line up with the real man. It seems he was only famous for sailing with Anne and Mary, he might have been a fool too! Annoying, I really liked him haha!

Highlight below to uncover my biggest beef (spoiler warning):

I went nuts when Blackbeard was keelhauled and shot execution style by Rogers near the Bahamas and probably at least two years before his actual death. That didn't happen. We known when Blackbeard was killed - 1718; where he was killed - Ocracoke; and how he died - in a battle with Lt. Maynard, who was sent to North Carolina (illegally) by Va. Gov. Spotswood. The way his death was depicted in the show did not happen. People who don't know better might assume the show's portrayal is an actual event. You can't do that. It's bad history.

Top Bottom