What's new

Starting with a dead badger ....

I have been surprised by how hard it is to find instructions on how to create a badger brush from scratch ... I mean, really "from scratch".

There are plenty of road-kill badgers around where I live, and it seems such a shame that they just go to waste, knowing what wonderful brushes they can make, if only you know how to make them.

It seems to me that by far most of the available instructions on brush-making concern the handle, or mounting a ready made knot onto a handle. I find almost nothing on how to make the knot itself from scratch.

So, if you have and suggestions for videos or reading in this particular regard, I would be very pleased to receive your input.

Thanks "pdieten". I knew the video, not the Shavemac link.

In fact, one aspect I am very interested in is which hairs / where on the badger you want to harvest hair from. I believe I have heard that around the neck area is where you harvest silvertip hair. Input here very welcome.
The other part, is how to cure/ clean the fur before you even start harvesting hair ... These critters can be a little grubby when you first find them ... I suppose this is something I could find out about in a hunting or taxidermy forum, but it has obvious interest for those wanting to create badger shaving brushes too ...

I have been surprised by how hard it is to find instructions on how to create a badger brush from scratch ... I mean, really "from scratch".

There are plenty of road-kill badgers around where I live, and it seems such a shame that they just go to waste, knowing what wonderful brushes they can make, if only you know how to make them.

It seems to me that by far most of the available instructions on brush-making concern the handle, or mounting a ready made knot onto a handle. I find almost nothing on how to make the knot itself from scratch.

So, if you have and suggestions for videos or reading in this particular regard, I would be very pleased to receive your input.
Jason from The Superior Shave has a series of videos showing how Simpson brushes are made. Starting with this one:

Yep,, good stuff. I tried to find it in the search with no luck.. Maybe a MOD can help us out?

Yeah, maybe a Moderator Emeritus or something. :)

Top Bottom