What's new

Starting the switchover.

Great looking shave, Rich! It's a little ironic, because I have a W59 that just returned from our friend Alfredo in the smallest state. He honed it up and killed the point for me, and claimed it was HHT 5+ when he mailed her back. I think I will be running with that one very soon myself!

Great stuff Rich. GTB is a wondrous scent.
It is destined to be a fixture in the rotation.
Patrol Cats, LOL
You have no idea. Or perhaps you do! :lol:
3 safety cats? I thought there were only 2. :001_cool:
Nice looking GD, Rich. Although that point looks quite menacing.
The wee one on the right is Noel, she doesn't do the sink thing since I laughed at her getting too curious about the scuttle and ending up with a lion like mane of lather. She only sits on the toilet and watches. She often does pre-shave inspections.

Feather + Kai =:
Straight Shave #282
Razor: Feather AC SS / Kai Pink Titan Protouch MG (1)
Soap: Proraso Cypress Vetyver
Scuttle: Crown King 12oz.

Strop: Mitchel Mogal #824 Horsehide
Brush: Maggard Synthetic
AS/EdT: Rich's Bootleg Bay Rum DFET
Sound track: Earth, Wind, and Fire : Got to Get You Into My Life

Comments:
Important thing I've learned from my incident with sharp knives. Once you start feeling better, it doesn't mean you should resume normal activities. I'll just leave that one there.
The shave station being re-certified by the entire safety crew I am trying out a new to me blade, complements of Sam @rockviper , A Kai Protouch which at first I though would be the same as the Feather ProGuard. But then I looked at it more closely. Hmmm. Twice the guard thingies.. I wonder if anything else will emerge.

The Hardware: Side by side the only difference between ProGuards and ProTouch's appears to be the guard things. I have no doubt the Kai will be satisfactory, and if they go head to head with Feathers, they probably are better than that.

The Software: Proraso... gotta love it.

The Shave: At the first stroke I noticed the ProTouch to be less 'hungry' than their Feathery cousins. It usually takes a couple of shaves before Feather takes on this smoothness. Still little to no feedback from my beard and lots of evidence of destruction in the removed lather. I take a quick two passes with a cleanup with no irritation or nicks, arriving in DFS town no problems. This will require further observation. Aside from the pre-broken in feeling, I can't really detect any difference.

Respectfully Submitted,
Rich

IMG_0869.JPG

Great stuff Rich. I'm looking forward to the comparison as well. I've only used ProGuard in my SS so far, and need to branch out a little.

Feather + Kai Round 2 :
Straight Shave #283
Razor: Feather AC SS / Kai Pink Titan Protouch MG (1)
Soap: Proraso Cypress Vetyver
Scuttle: Crown King 12oz.

Strop: Mitchel Mogal #824 Horsehide
Brush: 29mm Acrylic Blood Knot
AS/EdT: Fine Fresh Vetiver
Sound track: Joey Scarbury : Believe it or not (Greatest American Hero Theme)

Comments:
I really should pay more attention to my safety crew. SafetyCat 2nd Class Buster would not mount his post, instead standing in his sink and staring at me. This was an awkward kind of stare because I haven't quite learned how to read his thoughts as Buster is... well... a pretty cat of limited intelligence. But he was trying to tell me something. SafetyCat Prime Mittens came on the scene like the Sergeant Major "What's going on here? Why isn't he shaving?" He took over the post after I had already started tonights shave. He also wouldn't mount the post. Instead, he came over and stood in front of me and made a nuisance of himself trying to get a drink from my faucet. I continued to the second pass, nicking myself slightly on the point of my chin as I sometimes do. Almost as soon as I did that, Mittens assumed his post. Henceforth and forever, my Safety Crew is not just a novelty trick my cats do. I will pay attention to them.

The Hardware: I believe I read in today's journals a simile that I will borrow. It is so apt! Feathers are like a sizzling sharp synthetic stone honed edge, where the Kai is like a sharp Coticule or Jnat edge. Perhaps the extra edge guard things do something, also the box (I wish I could read Japanese) implies some sort of secondary bevel or coating that appears to soften the edge.

The Software: Proraso... gotta love it. Eric @Smattayu makes the call!

The Shave: Overall a pretty good shave, although the nick did indeed mar the experience a bit. It's actually been a while since this has happened and I credit my crew for that now. I did not do any cleanup because after the third pass, Mittens abruptly left the sink. I must have hurt his feelings. Without a SafetyCat, I am no longer confident. Still a DFS needing cleanup on the hollows of my neck. Alum burn on the abraded hull plating. Fine Fresh Vetiver does not sting though and SWMBO called me "Schmoove". Mission accomplished, but at what cost? Will I have a safety crew next time? Only time will tell

Respectfully Submitted,
Rich

Recycled pic as nothing changed.
img_0869-jpg.866034

Top Bottom