What's new

Starting the Honing Journey ...

@Slash McCoy Thanks for the link on the pasted balsa.

If you all have time for another newbie honing/stropping question, I'm now exploring paddle strops and see 3 basic varieties, all with two leather sides; both sides with smooth leather, both sides with rough leather, and one side of each. All three options would seem to give me two sides I could paste (CroX and FeOx I presume).

I've seen a lot of back and forth about pasting the smooth side vs. the rough side, but no real clear cut winner. So ... As a newbie looking to maximise the chances of my success, what should I be looking at? (Or do I just head out and make my own balsa kit with three diamond grades as described in Slash's post?)

Thanks.

-- Alan

A small update on my progress in honing ...

I am getting ready to thin the herd a bit and just realized that all the razors in my current 7-day rotation have edges that are mine from bevel set to finish. There are 11 other razors that are patiently awaiting their turn in the weekly line up, and of those all but 2 have my edges.

I've also passed on a couple of razors on that had my edges on them. No complaints thus far.

Perhaps I've finally gotten the hang of this honing thing (at least on synthetics and pasted balsa)?

I owe a heartfelt thanks to all those on B&B that have offered advice, encouragement, and examples that set the standard for me to shoot for.

Top Bottom