What's new

Starting over with an open blade

I went 30 shaves once just to do it. But its hard to do that when you own a lot of razors. I think right now on my razor log I might have one up to 8 shaves at most. I know Victor has gone as much as 80+ shaves i think on one of his. But he is hard core. Also i could be wrong on the count Vic posted before, but I know it was a lot!

I went 30 shaves once just to do it. But its hard to do that when you own a lot of razors. I think right now on my razor log I might have one up to 8 shaves at most. I know Victor has gone as much as 80+ shaves i think on one of his. But he is hard core. Also i could be wrong on the count Vic posted before, but I know it was a lot!
It was 131. I often get 80+ shaves out of an edge on just clean strops.

Life goals, gentlemen. :001_smile

For now, I'm happy to be getting good shaves, and if I never get one better than I had today, I won't mind a bit. But I do hope the blades stay fresh longer with better technique - both shaving and stropping - and that I can learn to put a good edge on the blade myself to start with.

80+ shaves between touchups...man. I'm impressed. Like I said, life goals.

131 shaves. That's a big number! I cant help myself. I just hone too damn much. Thanks for correcting me Vic. I knew it was a big number you had told me.

Still rolling after the touch-up. Absolutely wonderful shaves all week long. Every shave is work-presentable, and blood and raw skin just don't happen. It's now about getting more consistent with my technique, taking a bit less time, and learning to create and maintain sharp edges. I'm sure I'll still have bad shaves here and there, but really, the combo of this blade, consistent practice, having time to take my time, and being confident has made this go-round with a straight much easier. Loving every minute.

At the point your at I'd start learning more about prep. Some guys whiskers don't need much prep. Hot towel and go. Or just a nice shower and shave. This can help you cut down on time. Just an idea. Some guys will spens10 - 15 minutes just prepping for a shave. For me it's a hot shower and a bit of Noxema for a couple of minutes then rinse and lather. so after I step out of a shower I'm putting the blade to the skin in less than 5 minutes.

I'm convinced that I get a better shave if I shave before I shower. My prep consists of washing my face and leaving it wet while I strop the razor, then face lathering and start shaving.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
At the point your at I'd start learning more about prep. Some guys whiskers don't need much prep. Hot towel and go. Or just a nice shower and shave. This can help you cut down on time. Just an idea. Some guys will spens10 - 15 minutes just prepping for a shave. For me it's a hot shower and a bit of Noxema for a couple of minutes then rinse and lather. so after I step out of a shower I'm putting the blade to the skin in less than 5 minutes.
I’ve never done any prep. Just wet my face, lather then shave. Luckily I don’t have 14 gauge wire growing out of my face.

Top Bottom