What's new

Starting over with an open blade

Bevel can be uneven and be alright. As in hone what's there without correcting anything. Bevel follows spine and sometimes it's not perfectly even. Wedges have been a pain for me. Also if you strop on linen after shave that may help. I put away a blade that I only wiped. Later it was corroding at edge. Sounds like its going well so far.

Fair point about bevel following spine. I will shave with it before passing any judgment. The edge on that Genco sure was right. I will strop on linen after the shave going forward. I appreciate the reminder.

Last edited:
I have a friend on another forum who offered me a set of Naniwas, unused, at half retail.

Aesthetically, natural stones appeal to me, so I'm also looking at Arkansas stones from Dan's.

Of course coticules will always have appeal to me as they were THE stone when I tried a straight in 2010-11 and I think they're just beautiful stones. I had a really nice 2x6 coti/bbw that I sold several years ago...like to have that back, but I'm sure I can pick up a good one now.

To be honest, I was looking at buying the Naniwas because they are inexpensive and an easy progression to go through and then possibly snagging a combination stone from Dan's. But I will probably buy a coticule eventually, or three, because it's just how my curiosity works.

Just my experience, but I am not getting as good of a shave edge with my Coticule as I am with the Thuringian I got last year from Timber Tools. I took a Thuringian edge to a Coticule by doing 100 x strokes last night and this AM the shave was just not the same. I stopped with chromium oxide and the diamond/balsa next followed by linen and horse hide. Tomorrow I will try the edge again.

Shave #2 in the books. 25 rounds on linen, 50 on leather before the shave today.

Two weepers, both in the first WTG pass, which I think was because I got a little cocky and took some longer strokes. I settled down and wound up with a closer shave than yesterday. My toughest neck patch is actually much better with a straight than with a DE, and only a couple of spots on the chin and jawline are anything other than very smooth. I think confidence is one reason the shaves seem to be coming easier for me this time around. I have done it before, plus I have put in time looking at videos and reading about technique. Spine flat on skin or nearly so, coup de maître between the nose and top lip, and careful, short strokes. I could be happy with shaves like today's in perpetuity, although of course I'd prefer no weepers and no irritation on the jawline. That said, my skin already feels "normal," like after a DE shave, less than 2 hours after I set down the blade.

Good stuff, and I'm very pleased with the edge that pegasusimp put on this Genco.

25 rounds on linen post-shave.

Tomorrow will be a DE shave because I have a job interview, but thereafter the plan for straight shaves daily commences. 6 days of May, 30 days of June, 31 days of July before I have to report for work. That should be 67 days with an open blade, plus the two I've already done. If all goes according to plan, August 1 when I head back to work for the school year will be straight shave 70 and no problem.

I would definitely jump on that Naniwa deal. They form a great base of synthetic stones and will always be worth what you paid for them. The majority of natural hone users do their lower grit work with synthetics, so even if you end up going the natural route the synthetics will be of value to you.

I'm on the Naniwas. I think it's a terrific deal.

The job interview was good. Got the gig.

Now back to the straight tomorrow.

Thanks, Twelvefret. I'm quite happy about it.

In the meantime, I had the first completely bloodless straight shave I can recall today. No nicks, no weepers, nothing. Slight irritation and not quite as close as a DE, but work-passable for sure. It was a little slow, and the chin and neck could be better. All of it could, really, but the cheeks were pretty darn glassy.

I will continue 25 rounds on linen and 50 on leather until the razor isn't doing its magic as well and then move to pasted strops to try to refresh the edge. Hopefully by the time that doesn't work, I'll have some hones on hand.

25 laps on linen post-shave.

Thanks, Twelvefret. I'm quite happy about it.

In the meantime, I had the first completely bloodless straight shave I can recall today. No nicks, no weepers, nothing. Slight irritation and not quite as close as a DE, but work-passable for sure. It was a little slow, and the chin and neck could be better. All of it could, really, but the cheeks were pretty darn glassy.

I will continue 25 rounds on linen and 50 on leather until the razor isn't doing its magic as well and then move to pasted strops to try to refresh the edge. Hopefully by the time that doesn't work, I'll have some hones on hand.

25 laps on linen post-shave.

There are two places that I enjoy being whisker free. It is not the SR fault, but I miss a few on the chin and corners. That's why I keep a 80 year old Schick Type E close at hand.

Good luck on your straight leaning. It tskes tine but it will get easier. Just dont get cocky. It can bite a lot harder than a DE if your not careful. Respect the blade!

With the recent talk of a gathering be sure to bring your wedge. If it needs touched up on reset i will be happy to help you out with it.

As was said, a wedge can have a wonky bevel and shave just fine. It has mainly to do with how a razor was ground to start with. Following the spine is just part of it. But true.

Being your down the road about 1.5 hours from me just let me know if you need anything. Info or hardware. All you need to do is pm and I got your back.

Jerry, thank you. I will be in touch with questions, I'm sure. And I'll bring my straights to the meetup and let some experts look them over.

Yesterday's shave was bloodless and close. Today's was similarly close but I did get cocky and gave myself a little cut just below the nose. On the other hand, no irritation at all today. My post-shave splash had no burn. I know things could be closer here and there, but the closeness has already improved considerably.

As an aside, I love stropping. It's just really a mellow, therapeutic process. I imagine honing takes that to another level. Looking forward to learning, but one thing at a time.

I give you credit for waiting and learning one thing at a time. I couldnt wait. I dove in all the rabbit holes at one time and with both feet and learned it all at once. It took me a long time before i got good at just one thing. It took me longer to learn to shave as I figured sharpening is sharpening. WRONG! I will be looking for ya at the gathering.

Yesterday and today were both great shaves, so close that I couldn't tell a difference from a DE except along the right jawline, which is my lifelong nemesis. Yesterday the splash yielded no tingle, today just a bit, maybe due to technique and maybe due to a blade nearing the need for pastes. We will see tomorrow.

I'm having a blast. I feel like confidence and keeping the spine a bit closer to the face than when I tried straights several years ago have made all the difference. I'm slower than with a safety razor, but I am really focused and enjoying myself (those are usually the same thing for me...what fun is mindless activity?). Great shaves.

Jerry, I'm not known for restraint, so I will probably buy stones before I should. Oh, well. The shaves are already getting dialed in nicely, and I will get a couple of cheap blades I can practice honing on so I don't screw up the bevel on this fantastically sharpened Genco.

Another good one today, but I do wonder if the blade is nearing the need for pastes. It wouldn't be after 10 shaves for most guys, but with less than optimal technique I'm sure I am damaging the blade's edge more than most of you would.

Another good one today, but I do wonder if the blade is nearing the need for pastes. It wouldn't be after 10 shaves for most guys, but with less than optimal technique I'm sure I am damaging the blade's edge more than most of you would.

Ten shaves of three passes and clean up are different from the man who does two passes. Beard type and the amount of growth are factors as well. Number of days between shaves another factor to consider.

I do a knock down pass followed by two with increasing detail. By the time I get to the third pass, the cutting is effortless. Since I enjoy holding the Thuringian underwater and doing some x's, I'll do a touch up after three days of use on most razor.

Good points. I am doing only two passes but have done clean-up. I will go back to my synthetic brush with this soap tomorrow and see if a more optimal lather helps. If not, I'll get to use my paddle strop with pastes. Sounds like fun.

Yesterday's and today's shaves were good enough and bloodless, but I have no doubt now that I need to touch up the razor a bit. I have a paddle strop and some red and black pastes that I will use later today.

The ambidextrous razor use has become almost a non-issue, but not because I'm proficient with both sides. I'm just no less awkward with the left hand than the right. I'm better with both, though, and the movements are becoming pretty natural everywhere but the upper lip and chin, probably because I haven't shaved those the same way consistently, trying out different grips, different strokes, heel leading, toe leading, etc.

Those strop pastes are something. I did 10 laps on each side of a paddle strop - red paste on one and black on the other - and then cleaned my blade before my usual stropping today. The shave was so much improved. Smoother and keener blade feel, and now my technique is better than when I first got the blade, so things went really well. The best shave I've had with a straight in terms of closeness and comfort. I am hopeful I'll go another dozen shaves, if not more, before needing to touch up again. Very gratifying to do a bit of edge work - other than standard stropping - and contribute to the feel of the blade during the shave. It makes me very excited to start honing.

Top Bottom